Windows 10: Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10

Discus and support Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by PerfectBlue, May 19, 2017.

1. Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10

How to: Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10

How to Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10

Indexing the content of your PC helps you get faster results when your searching it for files, emails, or other local content.

The search index only includes your selected file properties, and file contents you want indexed.

Starting with Windows 10 build 18267, Microsoft added a new Enhanced Mode feature to improve search indexing that enables Windows to search all your folders and drives, instead of limiting search (Classic) to your documents, pictures, videos, and desktop by default.

This tutorial will show you how to turn on or off Enhanced mode for search indexer for all users in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to turn on or off Enhanced mode for search indexer.

*Warning Turning on Enhanced mode for search indexer may reduce your battery life and increase CPU consumption.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Settings
    • Option Two: Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Registry Editor

OPTION ONE [/i] Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Settings
    1. Open Settings (Win+I), and click/tap on the Cortana icon.

*note You will need to click/tap on the Search icon instead starting with Windows 10 version 1903.

2. Do step 3 (off) or step 4 (on) below for what you would like to do.

3. Turn Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer
    A) Click/tap on Searching Windows on the left side. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Classic under Find My Files on the right side, and go to step 5.

Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 [​IMG]

4. Turn On Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on Searching Windows on the left side. (see screenshot below)

B) Select (dot) Enhanced under Find My Files on the right side.

C) A one-time indexing process (aka: rebuild) will now begin. When the indexing is complete, you’ll be able to find all your files almost instantly when you use Windows Search.

*note It will take about 15 minutes for search to begin returning these additional files in results. If you have lots of files, it may take longer. Make sure you plug in before you start, indexing is a resource-intensive activity.

D) Go to step 5.

5. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Registry Editor
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type regedit, and press Enter to open Registry Editor.

2. If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.

3. Navigate to the key below in the left pane of Registry Editor. (see screenshot below)
    *Arrow HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex

4. step 3)

5. step 3)

*note After you have done steps 4 and 5 once, you will not have to do them again to be able to do step 6 at any time afterwards.

6. Do step 7 (off) or step 8 (on) below for what you would like to do.
    *note The .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below. This is the same location in step 3.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\Gather\Windows\SystemIndex

EnableFindMyFiles DWORD

0 = Classic
    1 = Enhanced

7. To Turn Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 9 below.

Set_Find_My_Files_to_Classic_for_search_indexer.reg

Download

8. To Turn On Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 10 below.

Set_Find_My_Files_to_Enhanced_for_search_indexer.reg

Download
    9. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

10. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

11. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

12. Either Restart the computer to apply.

13. If you like, you can delete the downloaded .reg file.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

PerfectBlue, May 19, 2017
  2. SM03 Win User

Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10  

Hello @Brink

It's been a while, any reg tweak or anything to tweak this enhanced search by default discovered so far?

Also, I disabled Defender completely by NTLite still everytime I boot, I get this notification immideately.

any trick to stop this?

P.S: I use ESET & ESET firewall is always on so that's a false reporting for ESET.

3. Brink Win User
    Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Indexed Locations

Hello Mattie, *Smile

Enhanced mode can help make sure everything is included in the search index, but you could also manually add the new location of your Documents folder to be included in the index.

Add or Remove Search Index Locations in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 | Tutorials

Brink, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Jan Del Win User
    Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Oct 27, 2019
  6. malernah Win User
    Search Indexing was Turned Off

When searching on Start Menu, it says Search Indexing was Turned Off. When I click on Turn On Indexing, I get Indexing is not running. There's no option to start indexing, and troubleshoot search and indexing doesn't turn it on.

Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 90359a9b-3438-4cdc-bcbc-c0236190f699.png

Please let me know what steps I can take to troubleshoot and resolve, and I will follow steps and post results of steps.

malernah, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Turn On or Off Enhanced Mode for Search Indexer in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Turn Off Enhanced

2. Search Indexing constantly turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing constantly turning off: Hi there,I am working IT and am running into an issue with an end user who's search indexing keeps turning off. The temporary fix is to re-index the drive but that lasts a month at most. We have tried all the trouble shooters, forcing services to run, multiple indexing...
  3. Search Indexing constantly turning off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Indexing constantly turning off: Hi there,I am working IT and am running into an issue with an end user who's search indexing keeps turning off. The temporary fix is to re-index the drive but that lasts a month at most. We have tried all the trouble shooters, forcing services to run, multiple indexing...
  4. Search Indexing always turning off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Indexing always turning off: I have Windows 11 and I always make sure that it is up to date, however, every time I turn off or restart my laptop. Search Indexing always turns off. It is frustrating and any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!...
  5. Search Indexing always turning off

Search Indexing always turning off: I have Windows 11 and I always make sure that it is up to date, however, every time I turn off or restart my laptop. Search Indexing always turns off. It is frustrating and any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!...
  6. search indexing was turned off issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    search indexing was turned off issue: This problem has been on my computer for a very long time and i'd like to fix it without having to reset it, i already tried checking windows search on services, i already rebuilt the search index, ran the troubleshooter, and i even went back to previous a restore point but...
  7. search indexing was turned off issue

search indexing was turned off issue: This problem has been on my computer for a very long time and i'd like to fix it without having to reset it, i already tried checking windows search on services, i already rebuilt the search index, ran the troubleshooter, and i even went back to previous a restore point but...
  8. Searching Index was turned off. Windows Index/Search Service missing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching Index was turned off. Windows Index/Search Service missing.: Good day!I have no idea why but my "Searching Index was turned off". When I try entering advanced settings, it says index is not running. I am not able to click anything else other than Advanced. In advanced, I also cannot press nothing other than rebuild index. I have tried...
  9. Searching Index was turned off. Index Service missing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Searching Index was turned off. Index Service missing.: Good day!I have no idea why but my "Searching Index was turned off". When I try entering advanced settings, it says index is not running. I am not able to click anything else other than Advanced. In advanced, I also cannot press nothing other than rebuild index. I have tried...
  10. Turn On or Off Search Indexer Respect Device Power Mode Settings

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Search Indexer Respect Device Power Mode Settings: How to: Turn On or Off Search Indexer Respect Device Power Mode Settings How to Turn On or Off Search Indexer Respect Device Power Mode Settings in Windows 10 Indexing the contents of your PC helps you get faster results when you're searching it for files and other...