Windows 10: Disabled Keyboard

Discus and support Disabled Keyboard in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just received a new HP Spectre laptop today and I'm having a very strange problem with the keyboard. I go through the normal Windows setup and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by chuckcobb3, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Disabled Keyboard

I just received a new HP Spectre laptop today and I'm having a very strange problem with the keyboard. I go through the normal Windows setup and the keyboard works fine. As soon as I finish Windows setup, the keyboard stops working. When I reboot the laptop, the keyboard works to let me enter my PIN, but as soon as I login, it stops working. I have both an external USB keyboard and the standard built-in laptop keyboard and both do the same thing. I went into Windows Recovery and completely reinstalled Windows from scratch and the same thing happens.

I think something is disabling the keyboard - perhaps it thinks it is in tablet mode when it is actually in laptop mode. Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I solved my problem! I did a web search and found this article:

Fix: Laptop keyboard not working on Windows 10

Basically it’s an “Ease of Access” setting. If you have “filter keyboard” turned on it causes this problem. I have no idea how it got turned on but as soon as I turned it off, it started working!

:)

chuckcobb3, Nov 17, 2017

2. Keyboard disabled

Activating a new Dell desktop with Windows 10 Pro installed. Asked to log on to my Microsoft account in the process of activating/verifying. Now I use the keyboard to enter my MS password, but after that the keyboard is disabled. I'm stuck.

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

Robert_Lassiter, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Keyboard disabled

Yes to all of your suggestions and more. I found the keyboard was not disabled. For some reason, maybe during a Windows update, keyboard settings got changed. Under SETTINGS> EASE OF ACCESS> KEYBOARD> FILTER KEYS there is an ENABLE SLOW KEYS setting.
    It was set to 1.0 or 1.4 seconds so that it seemed like the keyboard was disabled when normally typing. If you are having this problem, a quick test is to hold the key down for 2 seconds and see if the character appears on the screen. I don't know why the
    change. I've this computer and Windows 10 for years. The other thing that changed is I now have to sign in with Microsoft Account before using my computer. I haven't found a way to have a blank sign in or skip this step.

Robert_Lassiter, Nov 17, 2017
  4. Disabled Keyboard

Must be a bug in the way HP put it together because you said you did a recovery and completely reinstalled with the same results. So how would you have done it twice?

Thanks for posting, hopefully it will help others. Please mark your thread solved.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 17, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    Take the laptop back to where you got it from, if you believe that it is a hardware failure. Otherwise it is most likely the "tweak" that you have made that is causing the keyboard to not work.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disabled Keyboard

1. Disabled Keyboard - Similar Threads - Disabled Keyboard

2. I cant install a different laptop keyboard to disable my built in keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant install a different laptop keyboard to disable my built in keyboard: I tried to find ways to disable my built in keyboard and I found this technique where you will install a different brand laptop keyboard to disable my keyboard but when I tried it the "LOCAL GROUP POLICY" prevents it from happening I tried to search up for solution but I...
  3. I cant install a different laptop keyboard to disable my built in keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cant install a different laptop keyboard to disable my built in keyboard: I tried to find ways to disable my built in keyboard and I found this technique where you will install a different brand laptop keyboard to disable my keyboard but when I tried it the "LOCAL GROUP POLICY" prevents it from happening I tried to search up for solution but I...
  4. I cant install a different laptop keyboard to disable my built in keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...: Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now I can't use some of the keys. I have try some suggestions but still not working. Please help.....
  6. Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...

Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...: Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now I can't use some of the keys. I have try some suggestions but still not working. Please help.....
  7. Is there a prompt to disable built in keyboard? Cause my keyboard have some damage and now...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. How do I disable the keyboard without admin privileges from my guest account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How do I disable the keyboard without admin privileges from my guest account: My cat slept on the keyboard of my laptop and now the letter p is continuously typing. I can't sign in under the admin account because it wants me to type ABC123 because I guess too many attempts while my cat was on it. I can get into my guest account and device control with...
  9. How do I disable the keyboard without admin privileges from my guest account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I disable the keyboard without admin privileges from my guest account: My cat slept on the keyboard of my laptop and now the letter p is continuously typing. I can't sign in under the admin account because it wants me to type ABC123 because I guess too many attempts while my cat was on it. I can get into my guest account and device control with...
  10. How do I disable the keyboard without admin privileges from my guest account