Windows 10: Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?)

Discus and support Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running a host with Windows 10 Pro and multiple VMs (I am no longer using HyperV, that's a disaster, I'll save that discussion for another... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RedmondFanatic, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?)

I am running a host with Windows 10 Pro and multiple VMs (I am no longer using HyperV, that's a disaster, I'll save that discussion for another thread).

Because it's a host, I want as few running bits as possible. I disabled a week ago all services which I do not need running on the host. The system was perfectly stable and I was happy. Some really problematic services which open ports and which had critical vulnerabilities in the past, were now shut-down.

This morning, ALL disabled services are back and running again (a few are just back to Manual, as they previously were).

I strongly suspect the problem is the "Windows Creators Fall Update" which finished to install this morning.

The question: is there a way to disable the services and tell windows to please do not start them again every time there is a major update?

Thank you

:)

RedmondFanatic, Nov 17, 2017

2. How can I turn off windows 10 automatic updates. It is messing me up and I keep having to restore.

Disabling the Windows Update service, followed by a reboot, works very nicely. Check the service once more after the reboot. A pending update might have turned the service back on again.

Frederik Long, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Forced Updates

Yes - I've been disabling the service through services.msc application. It keeps turning itself back on, and downloading updates to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download, of which I've been deleting in volumes.

Tai Long Ye, Nov 17, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?)

In my view, no as one of the features of an upgrade (or upgrade repair install indeed) is to help users by trying to return essential settings to a known state.

What you might consider doing is finding a way to establish your settings by way of a script or bat file, for example, that reasserts your particular settings on logging in. That way at least it's automated, although you may then need a subsequent restart as well.

A converse example would be the way such upgrades always disable System Restore.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Thank you for the answer. These are not essential settings though. The system worked perfectly fine without the Print Spooler running again (to give one example).
    Also, this was not a repair install either, where one would kind of expect the setup to return the system to initial state.
    My concern is that this makes Windows impossible to harden, if they keep restarting features which have been disabled on purpose.

I mean, once down the path of "Disabled is not really disabled", writing a script to disable them every 5 minutes might not mean anything.

RedmondFanatic, Nov 17, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    You only need to deal with the case of an upgrade.. it's very unlikely anything else would change their state. So setting the state on logon should be sufficient, although as I said, you might then need one more restart.

A repair install is essentially the same process as an upgrade, hence the term 'in place upgrade repair install'. Some settings are returned to default in both cases.

dalchina, Nov 17, 2017
  7. Windows recovers essential services, but print spooler sure not being being one them. It is firmly disabled on mine.

Use the script as mentioned to set services at shutdown/restart.

Remove services using Sc delete, if you are sure, you will never need them.

Set restrictions to prevent changes, like for the key (deny access to everyone) Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Nov 17, 2017
  8. Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?)

I think you solved the question. Removing the service + Denying access to the regkey should probably be enough to deter the setup from re-installing them. Thank you!

To be clear, Print Spooler and all other non-essential services were firmly disabled on my machine too, before the upgrade. I also found out that the Wireless Adapter which used to be disabled, was enabled back by the upgrade. For this one, I can simply use the hardware switch, but I *still* think that upgrades should NOT UNDO my security settings.

The reason is very simple: when I install a system, I do so with the network cable unplugged, and without important documents on it. When the upgrade happens, it happens *with* the network cable plugged in, *and* with the documents loaded on it. System settings should not be "recovered" by any update.

RedmondFanatic, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?)

1. Disabled services have been turned back ON again (after update?) - Similar Threads - Disabled services been

2. Autocorrect in Word/Office 2019 turns back on after it has been disabled: Windows 10 has...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Autocorrect in Word/Office 2019 turns back on after it has been disabled: Windows 10 has...: A discussion in the Word/Office community forum suggests that the auto-correct function in word/office can be turned off. But even when it has been turned off, apparently it turns itself back on. The discussion there suggests this is probably also a Windows problem. So I am...
  3. PC turns back on again using "shutdown"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC turns back on again using "shutdown": Hi. I have had my pc for about a year and I have run into a strange problem. Sometimes my pc reboots on shutdown. (The fast startup one without holding shift.) This have happened twice now. I had not updated my Nvidia driver for a while and windows decided to install a very...
  4. Windows search history is back after updating, how to disable again?

Windows search history is back after updating, how to disable again?: I previously disabled search history for the file explorer but after feature updating Windows 10 to version 2004, it's back. How to I get rid off it again? I can't right click on search entries and delete them like before either. submitted by /u/Conells [link] [comments]...
  5. Windows search history is back after updating, how to disable again?

Windows search history is back after updating, how to disable again?: I previously disabled search history for the file explorer but after feature updating Windows 10 to version 2004, it's back. How to I get rid off it again? I can't right click on search entries and delete them like before either. submitted by /u/Conells [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows search history is back after updating, how to disable again?

7. Firewall service disabled and can't enable it back

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Firewall service disabled and can't enable it back: [ATTACH] Firewall service is disabled and as you see above it's grayed out and i can't change anything , so i need help on how to fix this and turn it back on Keep in mind that this issue occurred before installing an antivirus , but i recently installed kaspersky and ran a...
  8. Permanently disable windows update medic service & turn off updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Permanently disable windows update medic service & turn off updates: Hi~ I need a way to disable the windows updates. I hate updates & I'm really sick of having updates forced on me with all this technology. I had the update feature shut off for years. I only turned it on if I needed something vital then shut it back off. Last September,...
  9. Disabled Windows Update service. Win10 still turned it back on.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disabled Windows Update service. Win10 still turned it back on.: How do I disable Windows Update permanently? I disabled and stopped the Windows Update service under Computer Management a long time ago. Recently, I see microsoft is trying to shove 1709 down my throat, and has turned Windows Update service back on. I disabled and...
  10. Updates disable Bluetooth, then enable it again, then disable it...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Updates disable Bluetooth, then enable it again, then disable it...: I'm certain I'm not the only person with this problem. Bluetooth is installed on my Samsung laptop running the latest version of Windows 10. Here's the problem: every so often a routine Windows update totally disables Bluetooth, or rather, prevents it from being discovered....