Windows 10: Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

Discus and support Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by condabest, May 1, 2017.

1. condabest Win User

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing

This is a general inquiry about how to disable specific programs' ability to steal focus/move their windows to front in windows 10. There used to be a registry you could edit to disable this I believe, but was removed for Windows 7(?) and apparently editing it (I've read [1]) doesn't affect anything.

Is there some way to edit a program's permission's or the registry or another setting to prevent either all programs or select programs from stealing focus etc? (This is for programs that don't give you the option of turning it off in their settings.)

Thanks for the help *Smile

[1] Preventing applications from stealing focus

:)

condabest, May 1, 2017
  2. Greymarch Win User

Windows 10 : Stop any application from stealing focus ever. Is it possible?

I'd add that it's not just when typing something per your two scenarios. I also have that same experience, but I also experience the same annoyance+aggravation when using File Explorer to copy/rename/etc. files while another program may be starting.
    I'm trying to copy files by right-click or dragging and the other program steals focus then the files are trying to open or copy into the opening app... and some programs with long startup times (Photoshop) can steal focus like this multiple times. This must
    be stopped!! Please!!

Greymarch, May 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 : Stop any application from stealing focus ever. Is it possible?

Is there any way to stop applications from stealing focus?

Scenario 1: I start typing a password into RDC to remote into a production server, and some other application steals focus as I am typing.

I look up and my production password is on display unhidden to anyone behind me since it is now displayed in a text box of some application which stole focus from a password text box.

Scenario 2: I start typing a message in skype while windows is starting up. Some apps take longer to start so only finish after I am already typing.

Some other app steals focus after I complete my first word, but I carry on typing.

My entire message after the first word is lost since I cant touch type and I was typing into some modal window Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing :(

Am I the only one endlessly annoyed by windows just allowing any old app to steal focus while users are actively interacting with applications?

I have looked around and this is a large problem with some solutions going back to XP but none for windows 8 and 10 so far that I can find.

If there are no solutions in windows, are there perhaps 3rd party applications which can stop this as a global setting?

I will pay cash for this feature.

Doran Mackay, May 1, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

It is an all or none for this option. That means all windows are going to be allowed for Focus or none. Mouse Hover is what you are talking about and you can see the info at Activate window on mouse hover - - Windows 10 Forums If you are talking about a window that a program is running in and needs to come to the front for your attention, that is a totally different item that cannot be changed.

bro67, May 1, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    Looking at this a slightly different way, you can use a 3rd party utility to expose a function to keep Windows on top. There are a number of of older utilities that did that which don't work now, and some that do. Some added 'Send to back' as well.

'Keep on top' is something I use quite frequently - you can set two Windows 'on top' and so prioritise those two as well.

Presently I use Actual Window Manager (they also do Actual Title Bar - which just has title bar functions and is cheaper, being a subset). I got the former 'free' (legitimately).

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing [​IMG]

Here you can see added buttons- the pin is 'on top' and changes when the window is pinned 'on top'.

Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing [​IMG]

Here you can see 'Keep on top' added to rt click title bar options. However this gives no visible indication of the window being on top. These options are a combination of those from Moo0 Window menu plus (which is redundant, given the other program) and those from Actual Window Manager.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling Apps/Programs from Focus Stealing - Similar Threads - Disabling Apps Programs

2. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  3. mstsc.exe stealing focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    mstsc.exe stealing focus: Hello.I have a problem on my Windows 11 PC. Whenever I do anything on my PC, a program called mstsc.exe steals focus of my opened window. This happens every few minutes. The program is located in C:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe. I used this program:...
  4. Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows: I'm running Windows 11 22598.200, but this has been happening for longer, I don't know when it started. I'm pretty sure this is not expected behavior, right?Basically, anything launched as admin steals focus from everything else, so the only thing I can click on is that one...
  5. Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs launched with administrator rights are stealing focus from other windows: I'm running Windows 11 22598.200, but this has been happening for longer, I don't know when it started. I'm pretty sure this is not expected behavior, right?Basically, anything launched as admin steals focus from everything else, so the only thing I can click on is that one...
  6. SearchUI Stealing Focus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SearchUI Stealing Focus: Hi, I've recently started playing RDR2 but every few minutes SearchUI.exe steals focus from the game. From what I've read, you are unable to uninstall Cortana or rename to stop the process from running. Has anybody had a similar issue and been able to resolve? Windows...
  7. Focus stealing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Focus stealing: I have an application that has drop down menus for work. (like a status change from started to completed) And if I have the work application open, and I open any other application, Skype, Internet explorer, Chrome anything, AFTER the work app is running, I can no longer use...
  8. Disable stealing CPU/GPU cycles from other apps when a window is in focus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disable stealing CPU/GPU cycles from other apps when a window is in focus: Hello all, I'm running 2 instances of the same GPU-bound python script. The editor I'm using (IDLE), starts each script inside a terminal console and the scripts open up their own window to view a camera feed (using OpenCV). Here is what I observe: When no window that...
  9. A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A program is stealing focus from other apps on my computer, causing full-screen games to...: For a rather long while now, I've been experiencing an issue where at random full-screen games will simply minimize. It happens once, then a few moments later, it happens again (if I immediately refocus the game/program I was using). This is so incredibly irritating. How do...
  10. Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 programs steal focus, prevent?: Windows 10 programs steal focus, a way to prevent from doing? Also what is the point? Does it serve a good purpose that I just don't see? *Confused 55662

Users found this page by searching for:

1. prevent focus stealing windows 10