Windows 10: Disabling downloading of Updates

Discus and support Disabling downloading of Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Is it possible to disable automatic downloading of Windows Updates? I am connected by cellular tethering about 50% of the time and I don't want it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bfis108137, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Disabling downloading of Updates

Is it possible to disable automatic downloading of Windows Updates? I am connected by cellular tethering about 50% of the time and I don't want it to use up my internet.

:)

bfis108137, Jun 28, 2015
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, Jun 28, 2015
  3. Disabling Automatic Updates of Windows 10

I have Windows 10 Home. I understand that I can not turn off or postpone auto updates of Windows 10 Home. I live in the U.S. but I frequently travel overseas (specifically China) and am concerned that updates done while out of the country will not be
    equivalent to those done while in the U.S. Will this be a problem?

DAVID M SAMPSON, Jun 28, 2015
  4. Disabling downloading of Updates

paulsalter, Jun 28, 2015
  5. batlhilz Win User
    OT: i ran tests with USB tethering and 4G with my Jolla, 150Gb+ over 3 weeks *Wink

paulsalters tip should help you out

batlhilz, Jun 28, 2015
  6. I did activate my tethered connection as a metered connection however it just downloaded about 2 gb. I believe the issue is the priority updates. They will not allow you to control them at all. I understand Microsoft. They want to force you to update and while I don't like it I get it. I personally think it should be like this. If you have a metered connection and you haven't connected to a non-metered connection in more than a week then it should download the priority updates over the metered connection. This will prevent people from avoiding the updates and it will allow most people to update on a non-metered connection.

bfis108137, Jul 7, 2015
  7. poset Win User
    poset, Jul 7, 2015
  8. Disabling downloading of Updates

Yea go to services.msc and disable Windows Update there

GaloreRu1z4n3x, Jul 10, 2015
  9. This is how I am doing it now. The service idea seems good but then I am forced to trust that the service won't restart after a reboot which I don't like. It's unfortunate that Microsoft couldn't get the metered connection idea right.

bfis108137, Jul 11, 2015
  10. dmex Win User
    Have you tried setting the registry key and rebooting?

1. Open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\
    2. Change AUOptions to 2 (Notify before download)
    3. Reboot

You can see other values listed here under the Automatic Update Configuration Options subheading:
    Configure Automatic Updates in a Non–Active Directory Environment

Thema:

Disabling downloading of Updates

1. Disabling downloading of Updates - Similar Threads - Disabling downloading Updates

2. If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?: I've had Windows Updates disabled on Windows 10 for a very long time.I'm wondering if I enable Windows Updates will it use a large amount of data to download all previous updates.I saw that each update is around 15GB. I'm worried it will use a very large amount of data if it...
  3. If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?: I've had Windows Updates disabled on Windows 10 for a very long time.I'm wondering if I enable Windows Updates will it use a large amount of data to download all previous updates.I saw that each update is around 15GB. I'm worried it will use a very large amount of data if it...
  4. If Windows Update was disable when I enable it will it download all previous updates?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. automatic file download is disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    automatic file download is disabled: why is my automatic file download is disabled? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-file-download-is-disabled/240e0fba-6b12-4f47-a2d5-57211e079c35
  6. Disable group by in Downloads folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable group by in Downloads folder: Ever since Windows 10 has updated to 1903 files in the default Downloads folder are being grouped by date. I tried changing it to none but it keeps resetting back - sometimes after restart, sometimes just pressing refresh is enough to reset it back. How can I permanently...
  7. Disabling Game Downloads

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Disabling Game Downloads: What is the best way to block games from being downloaded by a user using Windows 10 system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disabling-game-downloads/3c9ac14c-de08-4283-a754-ef997fe0635e"
  8. Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable downloading of all Windows Defender Updates?: Hi, is there a way to disable downloading or opt-out of all Windows Defender Updates through Windows Update? I don't understand why M$ updates Windows Defender multiple times per day and I'd rather update Windows Defender manually. Thanks. 9137
  9. Disable Windows Update download?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Disable Windows Update download?: Is there a way to totally disable Windows Update like the last versions? I maxed my data because I think Windows Update doesn't recognize my phone's mobile hotspot as a "metered connection". Either that or it simply doesn't work for all metered connections. I checked...
  10. Disable Offline Map downloads and updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Offline Map downloads and updates: Hello, If you browse to Settings>System>Offline Maps, you'll see the +Download Maps option, and further down, the "automatically update maps" toggle. How would one disable both of these from the registry? I'm starting the search in HKLM\System\Maps - but nothing that...