Windows 10: Disabling new 'shell' type desktop - newbie alert!

Discus and support Disabling new 'shell' type desktop - newbie alert! in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I'm new here and don't fully understand what I'm on about so apologies in advance for posting in the wrong section (if I have) and also for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nipperooney, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Disabling new 'shell' type desktop - newbie alert!

Hi

I'm new here and don't fully understand what I'm on about so apologies in advance for posting in the wrong section (if I have) and also for my vague/incorrect description of my issue (if I have!!).

I've updated my laptop to windows 10 (just for information...I deleted the old version of windows in order to clear space following installation of Windows 10 so I can't easily go back to that version) and I hate one aspect of it. It's the part of the desktop/ start menu where you would have tiles displayed. I have unpinned all the tiles but the 'shell' (if that's the correct term) remains. It kind of darkens the desktop image slightly, even though there are no apps, etc, displayed as tiles. How do I get rid of that completely so my desktop is just 'there' without having this 'invisible' place to pin tiles constantly running over the top of my desktop?

Also when, for example, I have a File explorer window open and also a Word document and I minimise one to go to the other, instead of the background app just 'being there' under the foreground app, it seems to switch from one to the other via some kind of 'shell'. Sometimes I can't seem to get to the background app at all, despite hovering my cursor over the icon on the taskbar. Eventually somehow the required app pops up from wherever it's been lurking, but it's driving me mad!! Also I can't resize the window on running apps so that I can quickly move from one app to the other. It seems that all I can do is run in full screen or minimised, but no 'layering' of running apps so that one is visible behind the other as I'm working.

Does what I'm trying to describe make sense to anyone? Hopefully someone will know what it is I'm trying to describe and help me get back to it being nice and simple and working how I want it to.

Once again, apologies for my gobbledegook description and thanks so much in advance for any help you may give!

Nip

:)

nipperooney, Feb 16, 2017
  2. guysm Win User

Windows 10 - Issue with "blinking" screen and Windows button not working

Good job. Disabling those two services did the trick for my wife's box (a nearly new HP all-in-one). The shell wasn't loading completely (no desktop or taskbar icons), so it looks like the services weren't playing nicely with the shell.

guysm, Feb 16, 2017
  3. After KB3124262 update when I right click on the desktop the options (refresh, change desktop background, etc.) come after a delay of three to four seconds

If the delay is seen when right-clicking on the Desktop, one of the shell extensions may be causing it... Intel graphics add a shell extension in the Desktop context menu.

Right-click delays are caused by third-party shell extensions. To identify the culprit, you need to use an utility like ShellExView, and disable non-Microsoft context menu handlers one by one (or disable items in a batch) and observe

Slow Right Click:

Troubleshooting Right Click Issues Caused by Shell Extensions

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows

The desktop background context menu loads from these two registry keys, if you want to inspect them manually.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 16, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Disabling new 'shell' type desktop - newbie alert!

It sounds as if you are using Windows in Tablet Mode. If that's the case, simply turn Tablet Mode off (tutorial).

5. Bree New Member
    Welcome to TenForums @nipperooney

Kari's advice sounds spot on.

Do stick around, the Tutorials section is an excellent learning resource.
    Windows 10 Tutorials

6. Ah, thank you so much @Kari - perfect! It's been driving me mad for weeks and the answer was so simple!
    and, yes @Bree, I intend n sticking around and getting stuck into some tutorials.

Thanks for your responses.

nipperooney, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disabling new 'shell' type desktop - newbie alert!

1. Disabling new 'shell' type desktop - newbie alert! - Similar Threads - Disabling 'shell' type

2. Disable alert on RAW images

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable alert on RAW images: The "RAW Image Extension" from the Microsoft Store is unusable for viewing my Sony .ARW photos auto-rotates and colors them. I searched the forum and found that this is a common problem with no solution, so I uninstalled the extension and downloaded a different RAW codec...
  3. Sims 4 - newbie alert - pls help!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Sims 4 - newbie alert - pls help!!: I have downloaded the trial version of sims 4 to Origin for my daughter to try out and it looks fun for her. My son also wants to play. If I buy my daughter a copy for her to play offline on her computer do I have to buy another copy of the game for my son to use offline on...
  4. Sims 4 - newbie alert - pls help!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sims 4 - newbie alert - pls help!!: I have downloaded the trial version of sims 4 to Origin for my daughter to try out and it looks fun for her. My son also wants to play. If I buy my daughter a copy for her to play offline on her computer do I have to buy another copy of the game for my son to use offline on...
  5. Sims 4 - newbie alert - pls help!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Newbie

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie: Hi Guys and Girls my name is Kerrigan ( for short) I have never posted here yet but I do drop in from time to time. I run a windows 10 machine with reasonably high specs. I live in a beautiful part of Western Australia called Mandurah which is about an hours drive from our...
  7. HELP NEWBIE ALERT

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HELP NEWBIE ALERT: I need help. I have the acer swift 3 and was told that window is already on the laptop I would just need the code to activate where exactly is the code? And I am really scared that I may have thrown it away. I have kept everything from the box, to what is inside the box....
  8. Desktop Alerts GENUINE OR NOT

Desktop Alerts GENUINE OR NOT: [ATTACH] Hi ~i am receiving Desktop Notification Alerts that are purportedly from Microsoft.... There WAS another that suggested 'maybe your password has changed' 'we can sort this through SHARED EXERIENCES click HERE' Does Microsoft no-longer use MMSRT ? for searching...
  9. newbie

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    newbie: I have a laptop with genuine Windows default his laptop then I bring my laptop to the computer worker after the Windows OS check is changed to not original, how do I restore the windows to the original version? Because recovery is deleted thank you...
  10. Shell Menu New

Shell Menu New: One of Nir Sofer's brilliant and helpful utilities. Controls what's displayed on the context menu New section. Personally, I only want Shortcut and Folder but MS slaps all office programs in there frequently. In the File menu There is a Save Selected Items choice which opens...