Windows 10: disabling unused program(s) ?

Discus and support disabling unused program(s) ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; did some tweaking to speed up lagging pc. and was wondering -within the services list, could I disable "fax" since I never use it. and wondering what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pathfinder, Sep 10, 2017.

1. disabling unused program(s) ?

did some tweaking to speed up lagging pc. and was wondering -within the services list, could I disable "fax" since I never use it. and wondering what would happen if disable geolocation too

disabling unused program(s) ? [​IMG]

:)

Pathfinder, Sep 10, 2017

2. My Windows 10 slower than My Windows 7?

Try turning off superfetch and disabling unused start-up programs and reboot. I was having the same issue and this done the trick for me.

KeithHorton, Sep 10, 2017
  3. Windows Defender slowing my PC's performance after Windows 10 upgrade

If I disable WD my PC becomes usable & as fast as it was with Windows 7, but with it enabled it is virtually unusable - everything slows to a crawl. Windows 10 appears to upgrade daily, and enable WD on each update leaving my PC unusable again.

I don't have another AV program, & would like to rely on WD, so don't want to disable it through the registry.

Any known fixes?

Bruce_Stevens, Sep 10, 2017
  4. swarfega Win User

disabling unused program(s) ?

When you look at fax in services.msc its set to manual which means it'l only run when triggered. Most of the time its dormant so you could disable it.

Some software may use the geolocation one like Weather app for instance.

swarfega, Sep 10, 2017
  5. can I disable geo? I don't use weather app

Pathfinder, Sep 10, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    Performance gain from disabling such functions is almost negligible. The biggest gain by a long way that I got was disabling the Cortana voice service which was continuously using around 6-8% of my CPU. Now I just have the Search function, this dropped to 0%.

As for disabling geolocation, you can disable it, but there are lots of apps that may depend on it. Why not just set to to manual rather than automatic and then it will start on demand if needed. Frankly, it will have sfa benefit to you anyway.

cereberus, Sep 10, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    @cereberus how did you disable the voice?

swarfega, Sep 10, 2017
  8. disabling unused program(s) ?

Cortana is fully disabled on my end, no worries. as for geo location, ill leave it be. cheers

Pathfinder, Sep 10, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
Thema:

disabling unused program(s) ?

1. disabling unused program(s) ? - Similar Threads - disabling unused program

2. Disabling S-Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disabling S-Mode: OS: Windows 10 Pro- Disabling S mode is not an option in the store.- Disabling S mode is not an option under activation.I am not sure how to disable it so I can download 3rd party applications....
  3. S mode disabling

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    S mode disabling: Got a new laptop, tried downloading steam, had to go to the steam website because it wasn’t in the MS store, then I got the whole S mode notification. I take it there’s not much of a penalty for disabling this right? Other than the obvious security reasons, it seems like they...
  4. disable s mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disable s mode: How do I disable s mode in Win 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-s-mode/e2149b90-6791-4574-aed2-2ae9974bb281
  5. disable s mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disable s mode: How do I disable s mode in Win 10 Pro? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-s-mode/e2149b90-6791-4574-aed2-2ae9974bb281
  6. disable s mode

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. S mode will not disable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    S mode will not disable: Hi, first time writing on here, and would appreciate some help :I got this laptop LAPTOP-8817VJQ7 for christmas, and am currently running it on Windows 10, since windows 11 is not available yet for this laptop. I am currently trying to disable S mode in order to download...
  8. S mode will not disable

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    S mode will not disable: Hi, first time writing on here, and would appreciate some help :I got this laptop LAPTOP-8817VJQ7 for christmas, and am currently running it on Windows 10, since windows 11 is not available yet for this laptop. I am currently trying to disable S mode in order to download...
  9. S mode will not disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. S Mode Disable

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    S Mode Disable: I have been using this laptop for months. Today, I installed a Lenovo update and my computer was in S Mode afterwards. I have read how to uninstall it but the "Get" button is greyed out. I am the admin on my PC, but it says to contact IT Department or Admin. Thank you....