Windows 10: Disabling Win 10 Upgrade Function

Discus and support Disabling Win 10 Upgrade Function in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 15Z-5523. When looking it up on the Dell Support site it is listed as incompatible and not tested for Win 10 versions above... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EdFelker, Jul 20, 2018.

1. EdFelker Win User

Disabling Win 10 Upgrade Function

I have a Dell Inspiron 15Z-5523. When looking it up on the Dell Support site it is listed as incompatible and not tested for Win 10 versions above 1607. I'm perfectly happy running Win 10 Version 1607 -- BUT-- the Win 10 Upgrade function keeps automatically downloading upgrade versions above 1607. It then tries to install the upgrade only to go through the entire install procedure, get to the end, and then tell me (and perform) that it will restore the previous version of Win 10. Over the past year it has tried to make the upgrade, and waste the time it takes to finally restore the previous version, at least 40 or 50 times. I've looked all over the web for suggestions for disabling the upgrade function. I've set my wifi connection to metered. I've run Services.msc and set the Windows Upgrade Startup to Disabled. It still downloads and tries to install the upgrades that are physically incompatible with the operating system. All I want to do is turn off the upgrade function. Sort of imbedding the head of an axe in the middle of the motherboard -- what do I need to do to permanently disable this annoying automatic upgrade function. If the only that will fix this is buying a new computer with more up-to-date hardware, drivers, etc -- than when I do that it will be an Apple and not a Windows system. There has got to be thousands of Microsoft customers left in the Windows 10 update wasteland with this same problem I'm having.

:)

EdFelker, Jul 20, 2018
  2. EdFelker Win User

I have a Dell Inspiron 15Z-5523. When looking it up on the Dell Support site it is listed as incompatible and not tested for Win 10 versions above 1607. I'm perfectly happy running Win 10 Version 1607 -- BUT-- the Win 10 Upgrade function keeps automatically
    downloading upgrade versions above 1607. It then tries to install the upgrade only to go through the entire install procedure, get to the end, and then tell me (and perform) that it will restore the previous version of Win 10. Over the past year it has tried
    to make the upgrade, and waste the time it takes to finally restore the previous version, at least 40 or 50 times. I've looked all over the web for suggestions for disabling the upgrade function. I've set my wifi connection to metered. I've run Services.msc
    and set the Windows Upgrade Startup to Disabled. It still downloads and tries to install the upgrades that are physically incompatible with the operating system. All I want to do is turn off the upgrade function. Sort of imbedding the head of an axe in
    the middle of the motherboard -- what do I need to do to permanently disable this annoying automatic upgrade function. If the only that will fix this is buying a new computer with more up-to-date hardware, drivers, etc -- than when I do that it will be an
    Apple and not a Windows system. There has got to be thousands of Microsoft customers left in the Windows 10 update wasteland with this same problem I'm having.

EdFelker, Oct 16, 2018
  3. Shadoi Win User
    Disable Search Function

Greetings all,

I need to disable the Search function in Windows 10 Pro. Upgraded from Windows 7, where the Search function was listed as a feature and could be disabled as one through the Control Panel. Apparently not so in Win 10 as it's not listed as feature.

I can disable Cortana and using the Search function to search the web,but in need of disabling the Search function entirely. Computer is in a public environment and needs to be locked down. The unit has only one purpose and that is accessed through the browser.

I am unable to find a way through the Policy settings and through PowerShell.

Appreciate the help,

Russ

Shadoi, Oct 16, 2018
  4. Disabling Win 10 Upgrade Function

Upgrade from 8.1 to Win 10

Hi Roy,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

• Is this laptop compatible with Windows 10?
    • Are there drivers for Windows 10 for this laptop on HP website?

I would suggest you to temporarily disable/un-install any HP's software if you have installed.

Also, I would suggest you to start the upgrade by un-installing the updated drivers and installing basic windows drivers.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

• Right on the start icon and click on device manager

• Expand Network/Device adapters, Select the adapter, right click and click on un-install.

• Restart the computer.

Now start the upgrade from an ISO and see if that helps.

Hope this helps.

Waseemulla S, Oct 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Disabling Win 10 Upgrade Function - Similar Threads - Disabling Upgrade Function

2. Win 10 "Upgrade"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 "Upgrade": My laptop upon me shutting it down started "upgrades" and when I went back online I had lost the ability to: 1 Use my Ports/HDMI 2 Use my camera 3 Use my touch screen function/tablet mode 4 My Validator Plan-Um software GONE. 5 My VIAVI Fiberscope software GONE. I...
  3. Cortana Microphone & Functionality dissapeared in latest Win 10 upgrade??

in Cortana
    Cortana Microphone & Functionality dissapeared in latest Win 10 upgrade??: My Windows 10 was upgraded as of Feb 15th and I lost the microphone in the search box and Cortana will not function. If I say "Hey Cortana", I get a "listening" response window but nothing more happens. What gives? Microphone and audio are working fine and so is my language...
  4. win 10 Systemsettings.exe will not function

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 Systemsettings.exe will not function: the above plus I have a few apps like Edge that is sitting is suspend mode First .. i can open settings ,, I just can not change anything I have created a 2nd acct.. everything is the same there.. so what do I do now...
  5. Win 10 search function

in Cortana
    Win 10 search function: Does anyone know of a commercial ap that will search win 10? The built-in search is far too erratic. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-search-function/d7a20376-8ed8-42ab-b9af-ad883d5c6983"
  6. Disable Function Keys on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable Function Keys on Windows 10: Hey there. I wish to disable certain function keys so that I may bind them for some games that I enjoy playing, but the fact that I've got no idea on how to do that is kinda getting in the way of that. Any suggestions for me?...
  7. win 10 upgrade

win 10 upgrade: windows vista I completely deleteted it and bought a windows 7 home premium disc from msn,i did a complete restore and install of the disc along with activating the new product key numbers.now it says I have all the benefits of msn but when I try to upgrade to windows10 it...
  8. Win 10 upgrade

Win 10 upgrade: I have switched to Mac about 4 years ago. Now a friend needs to upgrade from windows 7. Can I get a windows 10 upgrade and will it work on Win 7? Mark F. 99748
  9. BIOS power on function disabled since Win 10 upgrade

BIOS power on function disabled since Win 10 upgrade: I have the BIOS setting to auto power on every day at a designated time. It has worked with a dual boot Win 7/8.1 system. However, since upgrading the Win 8.1 to Win 10 (dual boot Win 7/10) it no longer powers on at the designated time. Its still set up correctly in the BIOS....
  10. upgraded to win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    upgraded to win 10: upgraded to windows 10 went smooth other then NVidia driver needed update its seems to be running smooth should I do clean install 10688