Windows 10: Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

Discus and support Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I did a very stupid thing. I tried to make windows block one application by creating registry in Policies/Explorer named RestrictRun. I did it and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SnekkestSnek, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

I did a very stupid thing. I tried to make windows block one application by creating registry in Policies/Explorer named RestrictRun.

I did it and then I also created DisallowRun. In KEy Restrict run I added one application, but i couldnt create key for DisallowRun and forgot to remove registry DWORD with DisallowRun.

After Restart I cannot access anything.. task manager, regedit, cmd, any programs.. they throw the same error about restrictions placed on PC and executing app was cancelled..
    I have no USB Stick and I cannot edit anything.. help, how can I fix this?!

I can run only windows universal apps..

I was stupid but I have importatnt thing to do.. *Sad

:)

SnekkestSnek, Mar 8, 2018

2. Windows 10 File System Error -1073741819

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I got this error. I can't run setups and any .exe files even Regedit and cmd doesnt work.

Also I can't lower UAC

İlhanTokmak, Mar 8, 2018
  3. Accidentally changed .exe files

Can you get Task Manager open by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc ?

If so can you use File -> Run new task to launch "cmd" or "regedit"?

If you can get regedit open, you want to delete these two keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.exe\UserChoice]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Roaming\OpenWith\FileExts\.exe]

I'm assuming you didn't create a second account on the computer that is still functional...

Good Luck,

Keith

Keith A. Miller, Mar 8, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

Can you use a system restore point (if it will execute, that is)? (You could try from advanced startup options via e.g. SHIFT + left click restart..... )

Do you use disk imaging- if you do, you could restore a recent image if you have one. (We constantly urge people to use disk imaging routinely to give themselves a means of recovery - even from disk failures).

dalchina, Mar 8, 2018
  5. No I have no restore point... whatsoever :c

I am panicking here, even with the safe mode I cant do anything :c

6. dalchina New Member
    If you made the changes once and still have a usable backup copy of your registry that has not been affected by this, you could restore that.

dalchina, Mar 8, 2018
  7. I don't think I have registry backup... I never did such things because I never had issues.. this is first time it happened and I am on my friend's laptop now... I can't open regedit, cmd or even task manager. Only universal windows apps run... how can I edit that one registry key and remove it? I would never touch this thing again with a 10 feet pole..

8. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit

Please help! I am trying anything here..

9. Oh wait, I entered the thing where you click shift and restart and couple of options.. and noticed 3 days old restore point from 6.03. So it was keeping restore points. I will see what happens if I restore it.

10. It couldnt restore it because of issues with some Universal app... couldnt unpack it or something.... so the problem is still there.

11. Ben Myers Win User
    Ben Myers, Mar 8, 2018
  12. Okay I am in the registry but I have no idea what to load. I loaded as it said and have HKEY USers, but the registry entry isnt there, nor it is in HKEY CURRENT USER. Its just not there.

Can someone point me where I will find hive I need to load in order to edit it?

Key I added was in HKEY_Current_USER

Was something like that except it had also RestrictRun in it.

@ediT: I solved it.

For anyone who will have same issue by locking themselves out of exes, regedit, cmd or anything here is what I did:

1. Shift + Left Mouse click on restart PC
    2. Go to Advanced tools and start command prompt.
    3. IF your windows drive is C, type c:
    4. type regedit
    5. Highlight HKEY LOCAL MACHINE
    6. Click File -> Load Hive
    7. Navigate to c:\users\YOURUSERNAME
    8. Tricky part. If you dont see ntuser.dat, just type it in the open box, and click open.
    9. Navigate to the registry that was added or changed (Software/Microsoft/Windows/...etc)
    10. Delete or modify the keys and values.
    11. Select Hive you've loaded and click File-Unload Hive.

Done. All works.

13. Samuria Win User

You can access the reg from another PC or you may be able to boot a rescue DVD and revert from there or run a CMD to delete keys by running a schedule task as that runs as system

Samuria, Mar 8, 2018
  14. dalchina New Member
    Windows automatically keeps a backup of the registry. My concern is it may be too late and this is also corrupt.

However....

dalchina, Mar 8, 2018
  15. I solved it.

For anyone who will have same issue by locking themselves out of exes, regedit, cmd or anything here is what I did:

1. Shift + Left Mouse click on restart PC
    2. Go to Advanced tools and start command prompt.
    3. IF your windows drive is C, type c:
    4. type regedit
    5. Highlight HKEY LOCAL MACHINE
    6. Click File -> Load Hive
    7. Navigate to c:\users\YOURUSERNAME
    8. Tricky part. If you dont see ntuser.dat, just type it in the open box, and click open.
    9. Navigate to the registry that was added or changed (Software/Microsoft/Windows/...etc), or use CRTL + F to search for key value (in my case it was DisallowRun or RestrictRun)
    10. Delete or modify the keys and values.
    11. Select Hive you've loaded and click File-Unload Hive.

Done. All works.

Thema:

1. Disallowrun and locked exe, cmd, regedit - Similar Threads - Disallowrun locked exe

2. Regedit & cmd not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regedit & cmd not working: So I had a problem in which an app wouldn’t work without something from the Microsoft store. So I had watched a video saying to change my exefiles to application. Once I did this I Reseted my computer and now everytime I try to open up an app like chrome it says this “This...
  3. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files: Hi, I am encountering a problem that the default app of .exe files has been changed.While I did some research that many of the solutions suggest that I can reset it via cmd or regedit. However, my oc doesn't let me open any of those.Everytime I choose to open regedit or cmd....
  4. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files: Hi, I am encountering a problem that the default app of .exe files has been changed.While I did some research that many of the solutions suggest that I can reset it via cmd or regedit. However, my oc doesn't let me open any of those.Everytime I choose to open regedit or cmd....
  5. Unable to open regedit, cmd or any .exe files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Regedit cmd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regedit cmd: Hello, im trying to add MicrosoftEdge to right click menu with cmdi type reg add HKCR\Directory\Background\Shell\Edge\command /ve /d C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft\Edge\Application\96.0.1054.43\msedge.exeand i got Error: Invalid Syntax.what can i do?...
  7. Regedit cmd

Regedit cmd: Hello, im trying to add MicrosoftEdge to right click menu with cmdi type reg add HKCR\Directory\Background\Shell\Edge\command /ve /d C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft\Edge\Application\96.0.1054.43\msedge.exeand i got Error: Invalid Syntax.what can i do?...
  8. Regedit cmd

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Can't launch any .exe file, not even regedit and cmd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't launch any .exe file, not even regedit and cmd: Some of my apps were not launching so I followed a Youtube tutorial and changed a value in .exe folder in registry but nothing changed so I went back and reversed the changes in registry. After doing that I cannot launch any .exe file, neither regedit nor cmd. And no system...
  10. exe files and regedit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exe files and regedit: I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and that didn't work. Now, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disallowrun

2. disallowrun regedit

3. registry disallowrun not working windows

4. regedit policies disallow run access denied,
  5. disallow run regedit,
  6. regedit disallowrun,
  7. disallowrun registry key,
  8. disallowrun registry,
  9. force delete DisallowRun,
  10. disallowrun office,
  11. disallowrun regedit windows 10,
  12. disallowrun en regedit,
  13. disallowrun not working,
  14. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun dont work,
  15. using disallowrun on regedit