Windows 10: Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

Discus and support Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am using sfc /scannow on Windows 10 Pe environment. The SFC /Scannow fails to repair the corruption. Everytime i use it, i notice that i am losing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by goldenstar, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

I am using sfc /scannow on Windows 10 Pe environment. The SFC /Scannow fails to repair the corruption.

Everytime i use it, i notice that i am losing aobut 2 to 2.5 gb of space.

My WINSXS is about 27 GB(is this normal?).

Any suggestion?

:)

goldenstar, Sep 24, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

Total hard drive space disappearing

Where are you looking?

Have you gone to Disk Management?

Do a screenshot, Hold down the Windows key and hit the Print Screen key.

Then when you browse look in Pictures, Screenshots.

lacrumb, Sep 24, 2017
  3. Mr woof Win User
    Total hard drive space disappearing

I have a Lenovo flex 3 with a 1tb internal hard drive. For some reason, only 29gb is available. No other partitions are found.
    Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow [​IMG]

Mr woof, Sep 24, 2017
  4. Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

May i delete winsxs? Will that cause any problem?

goldenstar, Sep 24, 2017
  5. NO NO NO

Do not delete Win SXS. Leave it alone.

Your Win SXS is much larger than mine (7 GB), but may be totally justified in your case.

Have you run Disk Cleanup?

You say you lose 2 GB ever time you run SFC /scannow.

Does that mean that if you run it 40 times, you will lose 80 GB? That may be larger than your total occupied space on C.

ignatzatsonic, Sep 24, 2017
  6. i cannot run diskcleanup because i cannot boot to window. I am using a usb boot with window pe.

The usb boot is the one recommended by this very forum: WINDOWS 10 PE SE boot.

When i try to run diskcleanup from windows 10 PE SE, all it points to the recycle bin and not the window system files or temp files. Any solution?

To your question: Yes, if i run it 40 times i will lose all the space available. At that point, i don't think windows can move or fix any files.

Can i delete anything to recover my space from sfc /scannow?

goldenstar, Sep 24, 2017
  7. I know next to nothing about "Windows 10 Pe environment", as opposed to a standard Windows 10 installation per se.

8. Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

I am new at this. What do you mean standard window 10 per se?

goldenstar, Sep 24, 2017
  9. Just that.

A Windows 10 installation like millions and millions of people have.

Like what you'd have if you went down to Best Buy and bought a new PC "with Windows 10".

You are referring to "Windows 10 PE environment".

So I assume you mean something other than a normal Windows 10 installation.

Are you using the term "Windows 10 PE environment" for some specific reason?

The term typically means Windows 10 Pre-installation environment"

Windows Preinstallation Environment - Wikipedia

Maybe you mean ordinary Windows 10. I don't know. You chose the term.

10. Bree New Member
    NO!!!!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...-winsxs-folder

11. Bree New Member
    We are, I think, talking about @Kyhi's rescue drive
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Running disk cleanup from there will NOT clean up system files on you C: drive. That's because the system on C: isn't the one you are running, You are running the system on the drive you booted from. The system you are trying to repair is offline at present.

Let's step back a few paces, you may not be taking the best route to fix your problems. What were the original symptoms that caused you to try repairing your PC in the first place? Details please.

12. Windows 10 is giving me an error when i try to load windows.

Error: Corruption or missing files at /windows/system32/driver/pci.sys.

I tried running sfc /scannow (with offwindir commands to point to c:\windows) in Window pre installed environment and it says it found some corruption but unable to fix some problems.

If i am able to get sfc /scannow to fix the corruption my window would boot.

goldenstar, Sep 25, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

The DISM command can be run offline too, and may be able to repair things sfc cannot.

You'll need the install media for the same version of Windows (1703, 1607, etc.) as is installed on the PC you are trying to repair. If that is 1703 you can easily make the install media (a USB would probably be the most convenient to use) with the Media Creation Tool. With a bit of fiddling you can get a .iso of 1607 direct from Microsoft too. For 1703 and 1607 the install media will contain both Home and Pro.

The install media will contain either an install.esd or install.wim. If it's the bootable USB made by the MCT it will be .esd. DISM can use either. You can boot from the USB and select the 'repair this PC' option to get to a command prompt.

When you boot from a USB the drive letters assigned to the drives may well be different. See this post for an example of using DISM offline, and the next couple of posts for clarification of finding the correct drive letters, and the command to use .esd instead of .wim. Note the need to use an index number 1 or 2 in the command. This specifies the edition, 1 is for Pro and 2 is for Home. Adding the /limitaccess parameter to the DISM command line will prevent it trying to check online for updates.

14. This is very interesting.

I need the anniversary edition. I used the window 10 media creator from microsoft, but i believe that the CREATOR edition it downloads?

how do i point the dism to the boot on my usb in window pre installed enivornment(i used Kyle version)?

goldenstar, Sep 27, 2017
  15. Bree New Member
    Yes, the MCT makes Creators Update media (1703). To get the Anniversary Update (1607) ISO direct from Microsoft, use Edge and go to the Download Windows 10 page where you would normally download the MCT. Now press F12 to use the F12 Developers Tools. On the Emulation tab, set 'User agent string' to 'Apple Safari (iPad)'. The page will change to this one offering a choice of ISOs to download.

Alternatively, if you still have an old copy of the MCT that made 1607 media it will still do so. You can tell the version of the MCT by looking at the Details tab on its Properties. The version matches the build number of the media it creates, for 1607 that's 14393. (For Creators update that would say 15063.)

Thema:

Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

1. Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow - Similar Threads - Disappearing hard drive

2. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Whenever i try to do sfc /scannow in cmd i get this message : Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/797942d5-5528-46b0-8d2f-6bfea428c9f6
  3. Sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sfc /scannow: Hi.I run sfc /scannow as administrator and after finished I got :Windows resource protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them .Then I restart pc .My question should I do dism or not because I search about it and didn't find an answer. Thanx for help...
  4. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sfc /scannow: Hello! When I try to enter the command, it gives me an error:sfc : The term 'sfc' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.At...
  5. SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFC /Scannow: When I do the SFC /Scannow from the CMD and within the admin area I am seeing after the scan the Verify Only is showing as No repair operation is performed.Is this informing me that I have to do the repair or no repair is needed from my end?Kenneth...
  6. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sfc /scannow: Hey.I've exhuasted all recommendations regarding how to fix the sfc/ scannow command and make it work, namely did the trustedinstaller thing from cmd, i changed the windows modules installer to auto and then back to manual, but I keep receiving the same messages. When I type...
  7. SFC / scannow

in Windows 10 Customization
    SFC / scannow: I ran SFC / scannow and I'm not sure there was a message. What can I do? I check the application event log for events 1001 and “SFC” I check the DISM.log file I use findstr in CMD to find "[SR]" entries in CBS.log Or Run SFC / showlog...
  8. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sfc /scannow: Hi all, does anyone know anything about the logs in sfc /scannow? When I scan my Windows I get no integrity violations however in my logs I see a few things such as: 0000018b Warning: Overlap: Directory \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\ is owned twice or has its security set...
  9. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: i ran sfc /scannow and got when it reched around 54% i got the followingmessage "Windows Resources Protection could not perform the requested operation" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/425af61f-5e61-4f8e-badc-1e44ae02698e
  10. sfc /scannow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    sfc /scannow: when I run sfc /scannow in command prompt it will only run to 71% and than it stop, how can i fix that problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sfc-scannow/5f81a97e-769a-413c-8139-2871d8c08b5f