Windows 10: Disappearing trick !!!!!

Discus and support Disappearing trick !!!!! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone = I'm still very much a newbie to windows 10, and am slowly finding my way around, and if I am honest quite like it. HOWEVER............. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Skofab, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Skofab Win User

Disappearing trick !!!!!

Hi everyone = I'm still very much a newbie to windows 10, and am slowly finding my way around, and if I am honest quite like it. HOWEVER..........

Now running into problems.
    Today I find that when I click on 'Edge' it loads, then promptly disappears.
    When I click on search, up comes a box showing Cortana, and that promptly disappears as well.

Would I be correct in saying these are ongoing problems yet to be fixed by MS, or is there a workaround?
    Is there a microsoft fixit available?

:)

Skofab, Dec 21, 2015

2. N80 - Composing SMS

Yeah mine does the text disappearing trick too. Only happened a couple of times though.

taffytafftaf, Dec 21, 2015
  3. D-K-S Win User
    Windows Search Service isn't running after upgrading to Windows 10

One trick pony??

Harkanwar -

You make a recommendation that doesn't work then you disappear? How about following this to resolution?

D-K-S, Dec 21, 2015
  4. Disappearing trick !!!!!

Jody Thornton, Dec 21, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 21, 2015
  6. Jody Thornton, Dec 21, 2015
  7. Skofab Win User
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    I have tried to add an additional account - this was not possible - as soon as I clicked add new account, a small grey box appeared with no text, then promptly disappeared. I am convinced that somehow this centres in my problem, as I cannot see my username in C:\Users

I have 'reset edge'
    I have done the powershell..... restore health action
    sfc /scannow throws up no errors. All this plus other fixes all to no avail.

My problem is compounded in that I have passed the recovery date to get back to windows 7 - so I suppose I will have to sit this one out until MS come up with some answers!
    Forgive a newbies ignorance - but is it possible to download windows 10?

Are there many others with the same problem?

Again thanks for your help = keep the ideas coming

Skofab, Dec 22, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Disappearing trick !!!!!

Ztruker, Dec 22, 2015
  9. Skofab Win User
    Thanks for the info Xtruker

I have had a quick look at Brinks definitive 'how to', and will have to look again more carefully to see if making an ISO disk is within my capability.
    This latest install seems to have problems that yet have to be overcome by many people - and so far with no positive results.

Search - window closes after seconds
    Edge - window closes after seconds
    Cannot get the user name to appear in C:\users
    Cannot add a further user account.
    No answers found to date.

Must try to get back to Win 7 Pro - and try a win 10 upgrade when it is possibly a little more sorted.

Skofab, Dec 23, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    I, and most people do not have any of those problems. Don't know why, perhaps it's the hardware configuration, installed software or how they uses their computer but I have had no significant problems with any of the Windows 10 releases, from the first preview release last October right up to the current 10586 build.

If I were you, I would backup my data (image backup the entire drive would be best) then do a Clean Install of Windows 10 following the link I posted earlier.

Ztruker, Dec 23, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jody, *Smile

That would completely wipe everything in Microsoft Edge to have it back to default.

Brink, Dec 23, 2015
  12. Skofab Win User
    Hi Everyone....
    WHAT A DAY!!!!!!!!! I was determined to revert back to Win7 (old faithful). However the one BRILLIANT thing I did was to firstly make a Windows 10 install/USB stick - which I found surprisingly easy to do (I am a novice).

I then proceeded to use my HP recovery disk to get back to W7, and somehow made a complete dogs breakfast, and in the end had a non booting Laptop.
    I then remembered that I had produced the USB stick for a clean install. Joy of Joys, all went well, and at the moment it seems that I now have a fully functional Windows 10 installation, WITHOUT all the quirks that I previously reported.

From my own limited experience - it seems that a clean install is the only way to go*Wink

Skofab, Dec 23, 2015
  13. Skofab Win User

Disappearing trick !!!!!

It seems I spoke too soon!

24 hours after a 'successful clean install' - I am again losing search and also edge. When called up they show on the screen briefly - then after a second or so disappear.
    I'm I the only one with this problem? or is this a known (as yet uncorrected) MS quirk?
    As always your suggestions and help would be appreciated.

Skofab, Dec 24, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Have you noticed it happening after any particular action?

Brink, Dec 24, 2015
  15. As Brink said, you will want to isolate the issue. Some things to do in the meantime:

Sometimes, Microsoft provides (crap) drivers that don't work well with certain computers. Most often these computers are older and their manufacturers do not provide Windows 10 drivers at all, and MS finds generic or other that don't quite 'fit'. This has caused many many issues. See if your computer manufacturer has any drivers listed on its website for you (HP is found here: HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support
    ). I usually (personally) recommend using only the latest OS that drivers are provided for, meaning don't upgrade if your manufacturer is a jerk.

Antivirus programs sometimes cause such problems. The built in Defender works well enough if you find out that this is indeed the issue for you. So, if you have a 3rd party antivirus program installed, try uninstalling and restarting to see if it helps with your problem. If not, no sweat, just reinstall it! If you don't even have a 3rd party antivirus, just skip this bit.

There are a lot of startup programs and plenty of other things that bog down the system. Try running Malwarebyte's MBAM program to see if you can catch any PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) and other baddies your antivirus might not have caught. It is free, and highly recommended on this very forum and others. Find it here: Optimize and Defrag Drives in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

DustSailor, Dec 24, 2015
Thema:

Disappearing trick !!!!!

1. Disappearing trick !!!!! - Similar Threads - Disappearing trick

2. Installed programs disappear after restart on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Installed programs disappear after restart on Windows 11/10: Whenever we install a program on a Windows 11/10 PC, they do not get uninstalled automatically or disappear. We need to uninstall the programs manually. Some users are complaining that installed programs disappear after restarting the PC. In this guide, we show how to fix...
  3. Mouse cursor disappears in Windows 11 even though option to hide cursor while typing is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor disappears in Windows 11 even though option to hide cursor while typing is...: Just got a brand new PC w Windows 11 installed. So annoying that mouse cursor disappears from screen after a few seconds of idle time. I've tried to troubleshoot this, including making sure the option to hide cursor while typing is DISABLED, disabling and re-enabling the...
  4. Mouse cursor disappears in Windows 11 even though option to hide cursor while typing is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse cursor disappears in Windows 11 even though option to hide cursor while typing is...: Just got a brand new PC w Windows 11 installed. So annoying that mouse cursor disappears from screen after a few seconds of idle time. I've tried to troubleshoot this, including making sure the option to hide cursor while typing is DISABLED, disabling and re-enabling the...
  5. Wifi and Bluetooth buttons Disappeared from lenovo yoga windows 11 pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi and Bluetooth buttons Disappeared from lenovo yoga windows 11 pc: My wifi and bluetooth button have abruptly disappeared from my windows 11 pc. I have tried to reset network settings, and roll back wifi drivers but all to no avail. Due to that I have not been able to access internet on my pc for a while now. Anyone to help me please?...
  6. Wifi and Bluetooth buttons Disappeared from lenovo yoga windows 11 pc

Wifi and Bluetooth buttons Disappeared from lenovo yoga windows 11 pc: My wifi and bluetooth button have abruptly disappeared from my windows 11 pc. I have tried to reset network settings, and roll back wifi drivers but all to no avail. Due to that I have not been able to access internet on my pc for a while now. Anyone to help me please?...
  7. The internet button and sometimes the bluetooth one too disappears randomly on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The internet button and sometimes the bluetooth one too disappears randomly on windows 11: Sometimes, out of nowhere, the button for connecting to the internet, and sometimes the bluetooth one too, disappear not letting me use either of these until it appears again. This has been happening for a while already, but it now got worse the bluetooth button didnt...
  8. The internet button and sometimes the bluetooth one too disappears randomly on windows 11

The internet button and sometimes the bluetooth one too disappears randomly on windows 11: Sometimes, out of nowhere, the button for connecting to the internet, and sometimes the bluetooth one too, disappear not letting me use either of these until it appears again. This has been happening for a while already, but it now got worse the bluetooth button didnt...
  9. Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep

Icons in the Taskbar disappear after awaking the PC from Sleep: Some or All icons in the taskbar disappear after waking PC from Sleep, or when the screen of the laptop was put down and was turned back up.This happens in more than 1 PC I own. And this happens in both laptop and desktop, and with OEM and Retail version of Windows 11.How to...
  10. Big disappearing trick!

Big disappearing trick!: I seem to be in a period of annoying quirks at the moment - the latest is the partial disappearance of 'background apps' in the privacy folder within settings. I had intended to turn off edge, but there are only two items on the list. My other Win 10 machines have full lists...