Windows 10: Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Discus and support Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I attempted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last night and when I got up this morning my laptop is stuck on a DOS window with a message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by psillery, Jul 21, 2016.

1. psillery Win User

Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Hi

I attempted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last night and when I got up this morning my laptop is stuck on a DOS window with a message that the operating system cannot be found. *Sad

Any advice?

Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10 [​IMG]

:)

psillery, Jul 21, 2016

2. Windows Task Bar unresponsive

Reverting back to 7 is not possible, who would of guessed? God damn wheres the **** support for this ****!

I have also tried to use an Ethernet cable to connect to the internet and the same or similar problems arise (not being able to access the flashing or none flashing taskbar with along with the windows associated programs). I suppose the direction windows
    is going, that internet is just a useless thing of the past??

Windows 11 or "9" must be the answer to the inbred thinking to windows 10. AWFUL COMPANY AND PRODUCT! thanks for the damn support Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10 ;) i feel appreciated as a customer.

downgraded to 10, Jul 21, 2016
  3. Windows Task Bar unresponsive

I will just disregard this message and revert back to Windows 7. This has been very disappointing. This is a Microsoft upgrade and a Microsoft issue, which there is minute support for. I use this computer for work purposes, and this experience has done nothing
    but conflict the way I make my money. Therefor, I will not be wasting my money on a company that has no interest in supporting their customers or taking the time (three years obviously was not nearly enough) to make sure,
    their product, is fully functional before it is pushed out.

Please ignore this entire post unless there is a known fix or an update that solves the incompetency of this upgrade. I wish to not waste anymore of my time with dead ends. Wish me good luck in reverting back to 7 as I have little faith in this faulty operating
    system!

downgraded to 10, Jul 21, 2016
  4. 100055 Win User

It looks like your hard disk has a problem.
    PXE usually means you have Network set to boot first.

Try this first:
    Go into your BIOS (Check your computer's manufacturer for exact way)
    1. Find the "Boot Order" Menu.
    2. Make sure the drive on which Windows is installed is enabled on the list (preferably set to first).
    3. If you don't know anything, reset your BIOS to its default settings.
    4. Reboot.

If that doesn't solve the problem, try reinstalling Windows 10 (will wipe all data on C partition):

You will need:
    1. An empty USB flash drive
    2. A working computer with Internet connection
    3. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (located at Windows 10)

Steps:
    1. Download and run the Media Creation Tool, and use it to turn your USB flash drive into a bootable drive from which you can install Windows 10.
    2. Insert the flash drive into your computer, and boot into it.
    3. Go through the installation process until you are at the Hard Disk page, but do NOT install yet
    4. Select the main partition, and click Install.

If you do NOT see a hard drive connected, try:
    1. Make sure the hard disk is properly connected (this requires opening your computer)
    2. Remove the hard disk and re-insert it.

If your computer's BIOS cannot detect the hard disk, I'm afraid you have a failed hard disk. Try replacing it and installing Windows 10 again.

100055, Jul 21, 2016
  5. psillery Win User
    Thanks for the advice.

I'll give that a go when I get home from work this evening.

Cheers!

psillery, Jul 21, 2016
  6. FYI, that's not DOS running, it is still the BIOS/POST trying to start an operating system. It isn't finding one, either due to a problem with the drive itself or the bootloader on it. So, the BIOS moving on to the next device in the list, which is the PXE Boot function for your network card.

DeaconFrost, Jul 21, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You don't have to wipe out your existing Windows installation to attempt to fix it. Many people have had great success using Macrium Reflect Free to fix their existing non-booting Windows.

Create a flash drive containing Kyhi's recovery tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot the computer from that. Run Macrium Reflect contained on it. Under the restore menu is a utility to fix Windows boot problems. Run that.

NavyLCDR, Jul 21, 2016
  8. psillery Win User

Thanks for all the advice guys. It's much appreciated!

psillery, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disaster trying upgrade

2. Windows 10 Disaster Recovery

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Disaster Recovery: Let's say I have a Windows 10 computer, and I have a recent System Image backup plus some File History backups offsite. Sounds good. I have a lot of "App" games that use only local storage for game save data. Then there is a fire, and my computer is destroyed. I buy an new...
  3. It is a disaster !!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It is a disaster !!!: Hello Sir/Madam: The quality of my pc is dropping down ! Today, all at once, many of the "icons", around 1/3, on my screen can not open !! They are cut off from the internet! I have been using the window for around two decades, never saw such serious...
  4. Major disaster after Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Major disaster after Windows 10 Upgrade: Here is what happened. I just upgraded my Desktop from Windows 7 Pro to 10 today, keeping all my pre-installed applications. Very long process probably because it wasn't an install on a virgin drive, but an upgrade to 10, but it worked. Then I tried to run Outlook 2010, and...
  5. Windows 10 update, utter disaster!

Windows 10 update, utter disaster!: My laptop did a Windows 10 update on May 5th. It has destroyed it! It will not boot. It opens a blue screen to Automatic Repair. I have tried System Restore, Uninstall update, and Reset. All of them fail! I am angry!!! This is the second time an update messed up my laptop. I...
  6. Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro failed .. it's a disaster

Upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows Pro failed .. it's a disaster: Have a year plus old Dell XPS 27 all in one. Shipped with Windows 10 Home. After the many frustrations with Windows updates causing hours of lost time, broken system, I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Went to store and bought the upgrade. System did the download,...
  7. Windows 10 update disaster

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 update disaster: After the last Windows 10 update my HP Elite goes to blue screen for Automatic Repair, cannot repair and starts over again. Option to go to desktop just goes to Automatic repair and loops again....
  8. Upgrade Disasters

Upgrade Disasters: What is the best way to protect ourselves from Microsoft release of corrupt updates. When 1809 came out I was still suffering the same problems I had with 1803 and earlier with networking sharing which was totally changed since April. I could no longer access the drives on...
  9. Windows 10 upgrade disaster (Again!!!)

Windows 10 upgrade disaster (Again!!!): Once again I have received an update for windows 10. And again, the update failed to install, it then failed to revert back to my previous version. So now I have to try and re-install Windows 10 and will lose all the data/info on my PC. How can a large company be allowed...
  10. 8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far

8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far: Started the upgrade about 10AM, all went well till near the final reboot to the login screen. Display froze though mouse still worked. [img] Let it sit for 45 minutes then dropped power and powered up. Went through same end of install then same hang. Dropped it...