Windows 10: Disc Lettering AFter Cloning

Discus and support Disc Lettering AFter Cloning in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am cloning my C drive to an external USB drive. I will replace the C drive with a new, larger hard drive. Should I change the letter of the new drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BobZ, Jan 21, 2018.

1. BobZ Win User

Disc Lettering AFter Cloning

I am cloning my C drive to an external USB drive. I will replace the C drive with a new, larger hard drive. Should I change the letter of the new drive to C before cloning to it from the external drive?

:)

2. Gilbbe Win User

SSD partition after cloning disc

Hello Dave! Thanks for helping me.

Disc  Lettering AFter Cloning [​IMG]

Gilbbe, Jan 21, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD partition after cloning disc

The problem is there is a small partition between C:Windows and the Unallocated Space

Do you have a backup of your Data?

If so, the process is as follows:

Right click the small partition between C:Windows and Unallocated Space and choose 'Move Partition'

In the resulting dialog, click and drag that partition all the way to the right

Note in AOMEI, sometimes, you have to click the 'Apply' button at the top left for the change to take effect

Let me know when that is done . . .

DaveM121, Jan 21, 2018
  4. Disc Lettering AFter Cloning

You don't need to that. The cloning software is going to make a identical copy of your C drive (bit By bit). The drive in your external enclosure will be just like your C Drive. After the clone is completed, swap the drives.

storageman, Jan 21, 2018
  5. Word Man Win User
    Or just backup complete disk image (all partitions, forensic if really necessary) to external and then restore from external to new disk using rescue media.
    @BobZ - ETA: I guess I should have asked - Which software are you using? I'm a bit overly Macriumcentric...

Word Man, Jan 21, 2018
  6. BobZ Win User
    I'm using Macrium. After cloning to the external USB drive, I will swap out the smaller internal drive for a larger one and clone back to that. Do I need to use rescue media or can I just boot from the external drive?

7. Word Man Win User
    You won't be able to boot from the clone if it is externally connected. That's why it just seems simpler if not precisely the same to back up to and then restore from the external. No drive letter changes or any other finagling needed. Image, swap the old for new, restore, reboot = done.

Word Man, Jan 22, 2018
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If it was me, I would just clone the old drive to the new drive and not even bother with a third drive in between.

NavyLCDR, Jan 22, 2018
  9. I use Macrium for cloning all the time.
    As NavyLCDR does. One ssd to another ssd.

I recommend changing the name of the partition Windows 10 is on, so you can tell one from the other when they are both hooked up.
    Which ever one boots will become partition "C" so the name allows me to know which is which.
    Example:

Disc  Lettering AFter Cloning [​IMG]

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 22, 2018
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    I also use MR and the way I clone is to pull the Original drive and install the new Raw drive. Install the old drive either in a external case or SATA to USB adapter then clone from USB to the new installed drive. Clone done boot up and carry on.
    However the safest way is to create anImage of your Original driver on an external hard drive. Remove Old drive, install the New drive then restore the Image from the external drive directly to the new drive already installed in your computer restore completed boot up and carry one. Now you have a good image stored on an external drive and your old hard drive as back up. You have 2 working back ups should you run into trouble later on.
    I made Clone and Image stand out they are two different things used differently, Clone usually works no problem's, but not always. the Image and image Restore work every time and you do not risk corrupting your Original hard drive

Clintlgm, Jan 22, 2018
  11. RolandJS Win User
    Sometimes, the only minor glitch post-cloning and installing replacement internal HD is that the booting partition has to marked Active again by any partition/disk management USB or DVD boot. I have no idea why that glitch happens.

RolandJS, Jan 22, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    Drive letters are not permanent and are assigned at boot time. Windows will automatically label drive as C during boot. You do not have to do anything.

cereberus, Jan 24, 2018
  13. BobZ Win User

My plan now is to use a USB/SATA connection to clone to a larger SSD and then swap it for the smaller one now in the machine. I'm using Macrium Reflect. What do I need to do to the larger drive so that I'm able to use all of it after cloning?

14. cereberus Win User
    You can add a new partition or extend existing ones.

cereberus, Jan 25, 2018
  15. Word Man Win User
    Or, as you were advised over at the Macrium Help Forum, you can resize the Windows partition on the fly when setting up the clone operation to fill up the target drive. You don't really need to do anything if the target drive is empty.

Word Man, Jan 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Disc Lettering AFter Cloning - Similar Threads - Disc Lettering Cloning

2. Disc cloning question for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disc cloning question for Windows 11: I have a Lenovo yoga c930 laptop running Windows 11. It has a 256 GB SSD. I also just purchased a brand new Samsung 990 Evo 1 TB SSD. I ran clonezilla and adjusted the GPT to resize the partition. After cloning I installed the new drive. The problem is after installation,...
  3. Disc cloning question for Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disc cloning question for Windows 11: I have a Lenovo yoga c930 laptop running Windows 11. It has a 256 GB SSD. I also just purchased a brand new Samsung 990 Evo 1 TB SSD. I ran clonezilla and adjusted the GPT to resize the partition. After cloning I installed the new drive. The problem is after installation,...
  4. Chkdsk after a clone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Chkdsk after a clone: Hi all, I need help from someone who knows well the chkdsk tool from MS. I explain myself. I bought 1 Seagate IronWolf 2To some days ago from second hand and another one which is new. I have important data on the second hand one. I did a clone of it on the new one with...
  5. Chkdsk after a clone

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Chkdsk after a clone: Hi all, I need help from someone who knows well the chkdsk tool from MS. I explain myself. I bought 1 Seagate IronWolf 2To some days ago from second hand and another one which is new. I have important data on the second hand one. I did a clone of it on the new one with...
  6. Disc cloning and volume extension

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Disc cloning and volume extension: I used Macrium yesterday to clone a 512 SSD onto a new 1TB SSD, using the default clone settings. This was my first time ever cloning and I was not aware that it would leave the rest of the space unallocated. After reading more about it, it became clear that I should not have...
  7. How to separate two operating systems running on cloned discs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to separate two operating systems running on cloned discs: I had a small SSD which was my main C: drive, and I bought a new SSD. The old drive was cloned AS IS to the new drive, while making the new drive the main operating system and calling its drive C: instead of the old drive (which is now, say, G:). I now have two operating...
  8. How Cloning HDD to SSD disc Win 10

How Cloning HDD to SSD disc Win 10: Can I old HDD with Win 10 / 64 bit somehow Direct coping, cloning, etc. to SSD disc, from which tools or App, or do I have Beckup win 10 to some blank HDD and Restore it to new SSD disc!?...
  9. did a disc clone instead of a system clone

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    did a disc clone instead of a system clone: Just got a new Lenovo computer and fitted an SSD. I then cloned it using EaseUS Todo backup free edition. I performed a disc clone when I should have used a system clone. The PC still works but the file system has changed, haven't tried to manually boot to the SSD as I now...
  10. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters: I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning? My new computer (an ASUS) currently has Windows 8.1. I intend to upgrade to Windows 10 before I do anything more. I will move the old Windows...