Windows 10: Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Discus and support Disconnect internal hard drive externally in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by anaron, Nov 23, 2017.

1. anaron Win User

Disconnect internal hard drive externally

Being anal about backups and having issue after issue with Win 10, I need a way to physically disconnect/reconnect an internal backup hard drive with out cracking open the case and unplugging it. All of my hard drives are ssd.

Ron

:)

anaron, Nov 23, 2017
  2. candun Win User

How do you remove a 'ghost' hard drive or the link to it?

Here is a list of the current named/lettered internal, external 'drives' I have on my HP laptop PC (Windows 10)

Internal: External:

Local Disc (CDisconnect internal hard drive externally :) Storage (FDisconnect internal hard drive externally :)

Recovery (DDisconnect internal hard drive externally :) DVD RW (HDisconnect internal hard drive externally :)

DVD RW Drive (EDisconnect internal hard drive externally :)

The external 'ghost' hard drive which the PC Control Panel File History says is 'disconnected' is Expansion Drive (GDisconnect internal hard drive externally :)?

When I go to Control Panel: select drives, none of the external, internal hard drives come up?

Control Panel: Computer Management: Disc Management had the above drives listed

but does NOT have Expansion Drive (GDisconnect internal hard drive externally :) listed?

If the named/lettered Drive does not exist how can one delete the 'link' to it,

stop getting the 'File History' drive disconnected error message?

candun, Nov 23, 2017
  3. TerryG537 Win User
    this Windows 10 Anniversary update taking 12+ hours to install and counting. HELP

Had the same trouble here...the update fails to load windows on the 2nd boot phase of the update. You end up with a black screen and the caterpillar going round and round but windows never boots. If you have any secondary Hard drives connected to your
    PC external or internal, remove or disconnect them to do the update. I have an IDE drive as main drive and SATA as a secondary internal plus a 3rd drive external. I disconnected all but the C\: drive did the update and it worked. Hope this helps.

TerryG537, Nov 23, 2017
  4. Disconnect internal hard drive externally

You could try turning it into a virtual hard drive, but why not just leave it on and running?

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Open Admin Command Prompt > Type the following commands > The question mark ? is the disk you want to bring offline:

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk ?
    offline disk

When you want online again > Same procedure:

online disk

Tony K, Nov 24, 2017
  6. And you can automate the diskpart command by putting them in a text file and then running diskpart like so:

diskpart /s offline.txt

Then you could do the same to turn it back on:

diskpart /s online.txt

play2mefish, Nov 24, 2017
  7. sygnus21 Win User
    This can be done by going into the BIOS and disabling the SATA ports the drives are on. This eliminates the need to physically remove them. Have done it a few times without issue. Just remember to re-enable the ports once done *Smile

BTW all my drives are SSD as well (4 total).

Good luck.

Edit: HippsieGypsie's suggestion works too. And is easier than my BIOS method.

sygnus21, Nov 24, 2017
  8. anaron Win User

Do not want to take any chances of corruption or anything happening to the backup as it is perfectly setup as I want. Given the progress of various ransom ware, viruses, and windows 10 crashes, I want to isolate this drive as much as possible. Currently, I open the case and disconnect the power cable. The only time it is connected is when I have to restore the primary back to my original setup which is on an average of 6 to 8 times a month. When the backup drive is connected, my internet is disconnected for even further protection. I do a lot of experimenting for some clients which can and does crash the primary drive on occasion. Once I am done with an experiment, I like to erase the primary and restore it with the clean backup. Over the years I have found this to be the best way to keep the system as clean as possible. Basically, I guess I am looking for a better way to physically disconnecting the power to the drive which will prevent any access to the backup.

anaron, Nov 24, 2017
  9. anaron Win User
    :

Diskpart is not a secure disconnect as the drive is still listed in the lower half of disk management as offline and can be changed back to online by right clicking the offline drive listed in the left column of the lower half of disk management and selecting online.

My bios only gives me the option to disable all sata ports. I cannot individually disable one of them.

anaron, Nov 24, 2017
  10. Plankton Win User
    There are only 2 ways to do what you want.....hardware and software. The software way has been explained abundantly. The other way is hardware where you physically disconnect the drive.

Plankton, Nov 24, 2017
  11. What @Plankton said is the truth. But, why not take the internal drive out of the computer and put it in an external drive case. This will allow you to disconnect the drive by unplugging the USB connector and not have to open the case. That is what I would do.

play2mefish, Nov 24, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Open the case, cut the power line, wire in a switch and drill a hole in the case so you can mount the switch somewhere on the case you can easily get to. Then at least you won't have to open the case any more.

13. Tony K Win User

Bree's idea is good, but if the data is that important to you, play2mefish's idea is best, but slide the drive out of a USB enclosure and place it in a safe. Then I'd make a copy and place it in good hands of a trusted friend or a bank vault box. One never knows with a house fire or theft. Also, I'd be wanting the option to connect to another machine if need be. Simple with a USB enclosure.

Tony K, Nov 24, 2017
  14. roy111 Win User
    That would require some serious psychokinetic skill.

roy111, Nov 24, 2017
  15. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Nov 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Disconnect internal hard drive externally - Similar Threads - Disconnect internal hard

2. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  3. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems: I've been having problems with my disk being 100% randomly and i've tried all the fixes from changing virtual memory, stopping services like sysmain and windows search and installing new drivers none of them have fixed the problem so im thinking about changing hard drive i...
  4. Will plugging in a external hard drive help internal hard drive problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting

External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting: I have a brand new device and I tried to plug in my hard drive to retrieve some of my files but the hard drive kept disconnecting from my device and I was unable to keep it open for more than two minutes at a time. Sometimes it would show the error message "a device which...
  6. External hard drive disconnecting randomly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive disconnecting randomly: I resently bought a seagate expansion plus 4t external hard drive with the intention to download games on it and play them from there. The problem is that if I leave it going to download a game it will after a while disconnect and then reconnect leaving me with a disc write...
  7. external hard drive is connecting and the disconnecting.

external hard drive is connecting and the disconnecting.: I have a Seagate 5 TB external hard drive. I've had it for years. We have had it hooked up to our xbox. Today we turned on the xbox and it wasn't registering that the external hard drive was connected. So I hooked the external hard drive up to my Alienware laptop. It does not...
  8. Disconnect or Unmap External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disconnect or Unmap External Hard Drive: I have an external hard drive to which I do routine manual backups. I would like to be able to disconnect this drive without having to "pull the plug." The reason for this is that Ransomware will infect ALL connected drives. So I would like to disconnect it when not in use,...
  9. Internal hard drive disconnecting entirely during use.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internal hard drive disconnecting entirely during use.: My internal hard drive is completely disconnecting from the motherboard while i am using my computer and it causes most of windows processes to go into not responding to the point of me having to use commands to restart my computer as even task manager immediately goes not...
  10. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. diskpart /s offline.txt