Windows 10: Disconnect VPN in Windows 10

Discus and support Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 How to Disconnect a VPN in Windows 10 [img] Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Disconnect VPN in Windows 10

How to: Disconnect VPN in Windows 10

How to Disconnect a VPN in Windows 10

Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Whether it's for work or personal use, you can connect to a VPN (virtual private network) on your Windows 10 PC. A VPN connection can help provide a more secure connection to your network and the Internet.

A virtual private network (VPN) allows you to connect to the internet via a server run by a VPN provider. A VPN extends a private network across a public network, and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network. ("In the simplest terms, it creates a secure, encrypted connection, which can be thought of as a tunnel, between your computer and a server operated by the VPN service." Applications running across the VPN may therefore benefit from the functionality, security, and management of the private network.

For more information about a VPN, see:
    This tutorial will show you different ways on how to disconnect a VPN (virtual private network) connection in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:

OPTION ONE [/i] To Disconnect a VPN in Settings
    1. Open Settings, and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.

2. Click/tap on VPN on the left side, click/tap on the connected VPN (ex: "MPN") on the right side you want to disconnect, and click/tap on the Disconnect button. (see screenshot below)

3. When finished, you can close Settings if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Disconnect a VPN in Network Connections
    1. Open the Control Panel (icons view), and click/tap on the Network and Sharing Center icon.

2. Click/tap on the Change adapter settings link on the left side of Network and Sharing Center. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on the connected VPN (ex: "MPN") you want to disconnect. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on Disconnect. (see screenshot below)

OPTION THREE [/i] To Disconnect a VPN using rasphone.exe (Remote Access Phonebook)
    1. Press the Win+R keys to open Run, type rasphone into Run, and click/tap on OK to open Network Connections (Remote Access Phonebook).

2. Select the connected VPN (ex: "MPN") you want to disconnect from the drop menu, and click/tap on Hang Up. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Yes to confirm. (see screenshot below)

OPTION FOUR [/i] To Disconnect a VPN in Command Prompt
    1. Open a command prompt.

2. Enter the command below into the command prompt, and press Enter to see details about all available added VPN connections. (see screenshots below)
    *Arrow PowerShell Get-VpnConnection

Note Make note of the Name (ex: "MPN") of the VPN you want to disconnect.

Make note if ConnectionStatus for the VPN is currently Connected or Disconnected.

3. Enter the command below you want to use into the command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

Note To see more information and usage options for the Rasdial command, see: Rasdial - Microsoft TechNet

*Arrow rasdial "Name" /disconnect

OR

*Arrow rasphone -H "Name"

Note Substitute Name in the command above with the actual name of the connected VPN (ex: "MPN") you want to disconnect.

For example:

rasdial "MPN" /disconnect

OR

rasphone -H "MPN"

4. When completed successfully, you can close the command prompt if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Aug 18, 2017
  2. Gary0 Win User

Silent VPN Disconnection

Hello, Devlin,

Please find my replies to your questions and comments below.

Gary0, Oct 26, 2019
  3. Knoxx29 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Hi everyone.
    I am not an expert about Vpn and that's why I would like to know if someone could list me a few trusted Vpns, I would really appreciate any suggestion/ advice.

Thanks.

Knoxx29, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Disconnect VPN in Windows 10

Silent VPN Disconnection

Hi Gary,

The issue you're experiencing with getting a notification whenever the VPN disconnects might be due to misconfiguration of your notification settings. That being said, we'll need more information to properly address your concern. Please answer the following
    questions:

• Which VPN app are you using? Are you using the built-in VPN in Windows 10?
    • Are you getting a notification before whenever the VPN is disconnected?
    • What is the OS Build of your Windows 10 device? Click the
      Start button, type About your PC, press
      Enter, and then scroll down to
      Windows specifications to find this information.

For now, we advise reviewing the notification settings of your PC. Follow the steps outlined in this

article
    on how to access the notification settings.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Oct 26, 2019
  5. P4-630 Win User
    Vpn ( trusted Vpn)

Tired of Germany blocking many youtube videos? *Big Grin Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 :D

P4-630, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Windows 10: How to Show VPN on Wi-Fi list (like Win 8 & 8.1)

In Windows 8.0 and 8.1, VPN connections showed up when you clicked the Wi-Fi connection icon

Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 d6586ce3-f3c6-4030-b628-2c4f6b7d0032.jpg
    on the task bar and offered connect/disconnect directly from that context menu (A total of 3 clicks.)

In Windows 10, multiple steps are required to first access your existing VPN connections (5 clicks):

• click the
      Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 350d2a4c-861f-462d-a65b-6b841db8a512.jpg
      icon
    • click Network Settings
    • click VPN
    • click your connection
    • click Connect.
    This seems to add it to the menu but has to be repeated for each connection. Now, once it's there, connecting/disconnecting is still a multi-step process vs. the 2 steps it took in previous versions:

• click the Wi-Fi icon
    • click the VPN connection (Network Center launches)
    • click the VPN connection again, this time in the Network Center
    • click Connect or Disconnect
    Is it possible to configure Windows 10 in such a way as to minimize these steps?

Tammy Taz Diaz, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Disconnect VPN in Windows 10

1. Disconnect VPN in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disconnect VPN

2. VPN automatically disconnecting after a while if the system goes idle for sometime in Win...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VPN automatically disconnecting after a while if the system goes idle for sometime in Win...: I've noticed recently that my vpn drops out after being idle - lunch times etc. Previously it would stay connected all day.I have no internet issues at home...
  3. VPN automatically disconnecting after a while if the system goes idle for sometime in Win...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VPN automatically disconnecting after a while if the system goes idle for sometime in Win...: I've noticed recently that my vpn drops out after being idle - lunch times etc. Previously it would stay connected all day.I have no internet issues at home...
  4. Newest Windows 10 build: 19045 and 11 VPN disconnects Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newest Windows 10 build: 19045 and 11 VPN disconnects Internet: I have received two new laptops with the most current Windows 10 and 11 builds. When I connect to our office VPN the Internet connection disconnects. This only occurs with the new systems. I have installed the latest Windows updates on older Windows builds and cannot...
  5. Newest Windows 10 build: 19045 and 11 VPN disconnects Internet

Newest Windows 10 build: 19045 and 11 VPN disconnects Internet: I have received two new laptops with the most current Windows 10 and 11 builds. When I connect to our office VPN the Internet connection disconnects. This only occurs with the new systems. I have installed the latest Windows updates on older Windows builds and cannot...
  6. Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established: Either a recent update from Nord or Microsoft is causing my Phone Link connection to go offline. It has worked fine since I first began using it when I upgraded to Windows 11 until the last few days. I added Phone Link to the apps list for Split Tunneling, but that did not...
  7. Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established

Phone Link disconnects when a VPN connection is established: Either a recent update from Nord or Microsoft is causing my Phone Link connection to go offline. It has worked fine since I first began using it when I upgraded to Windows 11 until the last few days. I added Phone Link to the apps list for Split Tunneling, but that did not...
  8. Windows 11 VPN connect after successfully connected disconnection won't connect again to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 VPN connect after successfully connected disconnection won't connect again to...: In Windows 11, MS VPN connect after successfully connected disconnection, won't connect again to same or another VPN. Message says, I must check network, but only successfully connect is posible after restart PC. Same problem I have with another computer with windows 10...
  9. Windows 11 VPN connect after successfully connected disconnection won't connect again to...

Windows 11 VPN connect after successfully connected disconnection won't connect again to...: In Windows 11, MS VPN connect after successfully connected disconnection, won't connect again to same or another VPN. Message says, I must check network, but only successfully connect is posible after restart PC. Same problem I have with another computer with windows 10...
  10. VPN disconnects

VPN disconnects: I,ve recently changed my password and ever since then my VPN keeps disconnecting. I reconnect and then after 2-3 tries it locks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vpn-disconnects/5d0c9b46-c078-4fbb-ab53-635ea602ff4e

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com