Windows 10: Disk 1 not initialized? (!)

Discus and support Disk 1 not initialized? (!) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I did a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit & now one of my hard drives has an issue. While on the desktop I could access the disk but it was very slow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GARoss, Aug 17, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

Disk 1 not initialized? (!)

I did a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit & now one of my hard drives has an issue. While on the desktop I could access the disk but it was very slow to scan & took several minutes. Once completed it seems to indicate all the folders but I could not access any of them.

Though a restart might help but now it doesn't read at all. In Disk Management it says that disk says "Disk 1 not initialized".

Is it as simple as initializing that disk or might that cause reformatting in which I'd loose 1.2 Tb's of important data?

:)

GARoss, Aug 17, 2017

2. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

Thanks. I can try that; but I wonder why I haven't had to do that before, and it honestly doesn't seem reasonable to me particularly since the installer provides a "Where do you want to install Windows" selector.

For various reasons, I've clean installed Window 10 on this computer 4 or 5 times over the last year and never had this problem. I even used the same installation media build back in December. Before that, before that, my desktop PCs have had three or more
    drives since around 2006, and I've installed dual-boot configurations on all of them for XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and never had to disconnect other drives that I can remember.

Any idea why this is happening now? There must be something going wrong, I just don't know what it is. Maybe there's a parameter Windows is reading somewhere on my PC to guide the install that's gotten corrupted.

Thanks for your patience.

Bill

B_Phillips, Aug 17, 2017
  3. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

If you have more than one drive installed during setup, disconnect all drives except the target drive where Windows 10 is installed. You always reattach addition disks after setup is complete.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 17, 2017
  4. GARoss Win User

I don't know what was going on but after restarting my PC a few times fixed the issue. Weird, but working okay now!

GARoss, Aug 17, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Updated drivers for chipset and/or SATA controller may have fixed it. After a clean install it may take some time to update drivers. I always keep computer connected by wire to internet while doing clean installation, most of the time it picks up drivers even before installation is finished.

CountMike, Aug 18, 2017
  6. GARoss Win User
    The odd this is this happened about a week after the clean install. Granted, I've been re-installing all my software & only noticed the presents of that drive in the Explorer, not actually exploring its contents until yesterday. I have 2 other large, 2 Tb drives that opened without problems. In any case all seems fine now.

GARoss, Aug 18, 2017
  7. GARoss Win User
    Well, still having an issue with this drive so I "Unsolved" it for now. I don't use it much so I'm not aware how often its not being read okay by Windows or not. I've attached a screen grab of the error message.

I went into Disk Manager & tried to initialize Disk 1 (D*Smile with the default setting of MBR to no good. Then rebooted to see if that helped. On reboot Windows saw the problem in blue screen, read (D*Smile from 0% until it reached 100% successful & then continued into desktop. The disk is reading okay now.

Weird! *Confused

GARoss, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk 1 not initialized? (!) - Similar Threads - Disk initialized

2. Using Windows 7 how to fix CRC Data when I cannot initialize the disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Windows 7 how to fix CRC Data when I cannot initialize the disk?: I received a brand new disk drive. I cannot initialize it because it produces a CRC data error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-windows-7-how-to-fix-crc-data-when-i-cannot/3c7039bd-f89d-4cc0-8ca0-0f3f43ed6ab0
  3. Using Windows 7 how to fix CRC Data when I cannot initialize the disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using Windows 7 how to fix CRC Data when I cannot initialize the disk?: I received a brand new disk drive. I cannot initialize it because it produces a CRC data error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-windows-7-how-to-fix-crc-data-when-i-cannot/3c7039bd-f89d-4cc0-8ca0-0f3f43ed6ab0
  4. External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...: Hi all,I'm using a Western Digital MyBook External HDD 2 x 1 TB HDD. It is showing up as {Not initiated} in Disk Management and Windows prompt me to initialise the disks before using. As I have important data on the disk, I did not take the option. I notice that when I moused...
  5. External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...

External HDD showed up in Disk Management as {Not initiated} but is shown correctly in...: Hi all,I'm using a Western Digital MyBook External HDD 2 x 1 TB HDD. It is showing up as {Not initiated} in Disk Management and Windows prompt me to initialise the disks before using. As I have important data on the disk, I did not take the option. I notice that when I moused...
  6. my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the...: my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the request could not be done because an i/o device error occured"Please Tell Me What Is Happened And What Can I Do?...
  7. my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the...

my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the...: my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the request could not be done because an i/o device error occured"Please Tell Me What Is Happened And What Can I Do?...
  8. my hard disk is uninitialized and whenever i try to initialize it, popup shows up "the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management: hard drive when plugged via usb it gives clucking code sound western digital WXP1E21MTF34 as attached, it clucks 9 times then 3 times then 3 times again then nothing! how can i get windows to recognize the harddrive given that it didn't shown any signs of it being about to...
  10. my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management

my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management: hard drive when plugged via usb it gives clucking code sound western digital WXP1E21MTF34 as attached, it clucks 9 times then 3 times then 3 times again then nothing! how can i get windows to recognize the harddrive given that it didn't shown any signs of it being about to...