Windows 10: Disk activity spikes to 100% every few minutes - System lockup

Discus and support Disk activity spikes to 100% every few minutes - System lockup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, A couple of days ago, I took up the free offer of Windows 10 just before the deadline. Instead of doing an upgrade from Windows 7, I performed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JayEm, Jul 30, 2016.

1. JayEm Win User

Disk activity spikes to 100% every few minutes - System lockup

Hi,

A couple of days ago, I took up the free offer of Windows 10 just before the deadline. Instead of doing an upgrade from Windows 7, I performed a fresh install onto a brand new 240GB SSD. The installation process went smoothly, no errors and the activation service accepted my Windows 7 key just fine.

However, I've got the common 100% disk activity problem and I've tried all the fixes but still no luck. I've disabled superfetch, the indexing system and BITS (which keeps switching itself back on like some kinda malware would do). I've also increased the pagefile size as recommended but still no fix. What else can I do??

I think I might just go back to 7, which feels far more stable. Even my Xubuntu install of 5 year old hardware feels more robust! I'm pretty sure the constant disk activity is going to considerably decrease the life of any SSD too. *Sad

:)

JayEm, Jul 30, 2016

2. Windows 10 disk keeps spiking to 100%

Hi,

My disk keeps spiking to 100% since I upgraded to Windows 10. I upgraded in September and the problem started with little infrequent spikes where the disk would stay at 100% for a few seconds. However since September the problem has got progressively worse
    and now the disk usage frequently reaches 100% and it stays at 100% for about 5 minutes.

I've tried various solutions on the internet to 100% disk but none of them have worked.

RyanMounce, Jul 30, 2016
  3. Mbanks850 Win User
    Primary Disk Drive at 99-100% Active Time in Windows 10

I am having a very similar issue. The Disk activity will spike to 100% and stay there for 5 to 10 minutes, then drop and spike again.

I made a capture following your instructions, would you be willing to take a look at it?

Here is a link to the trace

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vov8xco1pvmkgac/DEATHSTAR.10-31-2015.01-54-07.zip

This issue appeared maybe a week ago. I had been running Windows 10 fine since it was released. I can't seem to find anything that changed on the system in that time.

When the disk activity time spikes, this system slows down quite a bit.

Mbanks850, Jul 30, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi JayEm and welcome to Tenforums.

Hmmmm.....normally I would expect this on an upgrade of an OEM system, with bloatware issues. But, you did a clean install. Have you made sure the firmware of the SSD is current? Also your Chipset/MB BIOS? That's about all I can think of - it looks like you've done everything else on the list. The Anniversary update comes out this week; maybe that will help as well.

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  5. DavidY Win User
    I would check your other drivers too.
    On my old laptop (which is from XP days and therefore has old drivers), sometimes when the computer appears to hang with the disk is being hammered, plugging something in the headphone socket clears it, which makes me suspect some other driver is doing something to require a lot of disk access.

DavidY, Jul 30, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Good point!
    A list of installed applications might help as well.

simrick, Jul 30, 2016
  7. JayEm Win User
    Ok, so update: I tried installing the latest chipset drivers following your recommendations, also found out how to permanently disable BITS but still no luck. *Sad I've given up and gone back to 7! There was nothing groundbreaking about Windows 10 anyway, just looks a bit fresher and starts up a bit faster (shuts down slower though I found. I'm guessing it goes into some kind of hibernation and writes everything in RAM to disk??), so meh. Won't be missed!

JayEm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk activity spikes to 100% every few minutes - System lockup - Similar Threads - Disk activity spikes

2. 100 Percent disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 Percent disk usage spikes: Hello. My computer is slow and sluggish and the disk usage keeps spiking to 100 percent when I do anything. I have researched a lot and none of the solutions work for me I have had this problem in windows 10 too and thought the update to 11 would fix it but it did not. It...
  3. 100 Percent disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100 Percent disk usage spikes: Hello. My computer is slow and sluggish and the disk usage keeps spiking to 100 percent when I do anything. I have researched a lot and none of the solutions work for me I have had this problem in windows 10 too and thought the update to 11 would fix it but it did not. It...
  4. CPU spikes freeze computer every few seconds caused by "System"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU spikes freeze computer every few seconds caused by "System": Hi, recently my computer has began to freeze every 2-3 seconds. These last for only about a second. They happen when nothing is running. My mouse will stop working and the words I type will freeze. While I can live with it, it is very annoying. I have ran anti-virus and it...
  5. 100 disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100 disk usage spikes: So I've these problems with disk usage rising to 100% for 5-20 seconds every few minutes or so. Mind you this hard drive has run Windows 10 since February 2018 and I started having this problem in July 2019, so for almost two years Windows 10 has been smooth as butter. I can...
  6. Disk Usage Spikes to 100%

Disk Usage Spikes to 100%: Hi, I have an ASUS Laptop here with the following specs: Intel Optane 1TB HDD Intel Core i5 8300H at 2.7Ghz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home running Version 1909 OS Build 18363.592 I have reinstalled windows from a USB after backing up my files off the...
  7. BSOD in every few minutes while NVIDIA activated in BIOS

BSOD in every few minutes while NVIDIA activated in BIOS: My problem is in the title. Can you have a look at this? Attachment 143981 Edit : Latest BSOD report while trying to install Nvidia driver. Attachment 143982 88970
  8. Disk Spikes to 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Spikes to 100%: Hi! since not too long, it takes 5 minutes to my pc's disk to go back to low percents. It takes around 5 minutes when I start the PC to go back low and sometimes it spikes back up to 100%. The program i see the most going up is System and Compressed memory. I...
  9. Random 100% disk usage spike causing frozen system

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random 100% disk usage spike causing frozen system: Occasionally I'll be watching a movie with VLC player, and then suddenly everything freezes temporarily for 40 seconds or so. Before everything else becomes fully frozen and unusable, I am able to see Task Manager showing disk usage pinned at 100%, but I don't hear the...
  10. Random spikes of 100% disk activity on system drive.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random spikes of 100% disk activity on system drive.: Hello, I am having issues with my system, or it might be my SSD, I am unsure hence here I am. Symptoms: The C:\ drive spikes to 100% activity but 0 avg respone, 0 read/write for 2-5 seconds (usually but it have taken over 40 seconds at a couple of occasions) followed...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk activity spikes to 100%