Windows 10: DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out!

Discus and support DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Had a spare HDD laying around so I thought I'd load 9879 on it. I wanted to be careful to not mess up my 8.1 installation on an SSD so I disconnected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MowermanEd, Nov 29, 2014.

1. DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out!

Had a spare HDD laying around so I thought I'd load 9879 on it. I wanted to be careful to not mess up my 8.1 installation on an SSD so I disconnected it before installing 9879. I wanted to choose OS in Bios at boot time. Install went smoothly and I booted into 9879 and did required updates. Everything was going fine. I then shut down and reconnected my 8.1 SSD. I then rebooted and in Bios selected the 9879 drive to boot. I then get the black screen saying DISK BOOT FAILURE etc. I reboot and go into Bios and select my 8.1 SSD to boot 1st and it does without incident. Since I disconnected my 8.1 SSD BEFORE installing 9879 on the other drive why is it effected. By the way, after initially booting the 9879 install I ran disk management and it showed that there was a boot sector to that drive. This was before connecting and booting the 8.1 SSD. After booting the 8.1 SSD I ran Disk Management from 8.1 and it showed the 9879 drive as not having a boot sector. What the hell happened to it?

:)

MowermanEd, Nov 29, 2014
  2. BBooten Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant Stuck at 99% Installing

Take it too a computer tech, if you can't figure it out how to boot from a repair disk.

BBooten, Nov 29, 2014
  3. legrugzil Win User
    Can't figure out what this one message counter on my phone's home page is for?

On my phone home page it says I have several messages. The problem is I don't know what type of messages it's referring to. I have Yahoo email and another email set up on the phone and I have separate counters on my homepage that show up for those unread
    messages. But for this other one, I can't figure out what messages it's referring to. How do I figure it out?

legrugzil, Nov 29, 2014
  4. Saltgrass Win User

DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out!

From what you describe, it does sound a little strange. Were there any other drives involved beside the one disconnected and the one you put Windows 10 on? Does your system have a small mSATA drive for booting?

When you selected the Windows 10 to boot, did you install in the UEFI configuration and select the Windows Boot Manager for a boot device? Or did you install as MBR and select the actual drive as the boot device?

Saltgrass, Nov 29, 2014
  5. No, my system does not have a mSATA boot drive. As far as I know the 9879 was installed as the MBR drive because I didn't select anything other than just a "Custom Install". I then chose to format the disk to erase whatever was on it before, then went ahead with the install.

MowermanEd, Nov 29, 2014
  6. Saltgrass Win User
    Maybe if you were to attach a snipping tool picture of your Disk Management window we could see what happened.

Until them, if you have a Windows Boot Manger for the drive noted, try selecting it. Your system may have been set to boot only UEFI devices, and if it was, it would have installed in UEFI. This of course depends on how new the system is and whether it came with Windows 8 installed.

Saltgrass, Nov 30, 2014
  7. The system is home built ...about 3-4 years ago using Gigabyte MB 880GM-USB3. W is the drive that I installed 9879 on.

DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out! [​IMG]

MowermanEd, Nov 30, 2014
  8. topgundcp Win User

With SSD for Window 8.1 disconnected. You installed Windows 10 with disk 1 marked as active. Therefore the boot manager for Windows 10 was installed in disk 1.

What you can do is to disconnect the SSD and try to reboot Windows 10 then use: EasyBCD Portable | Portable X Apps to move the BCD from disk 1 back to Disk 3 (as seen from your screen shot but will be disk 0 when you reconnect to boot Windows 10) and mark disk 1 inactive.

DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out! [​IMG]

NOTE: Use appropriate drive letter for your PC.

topgundcp, Nov 30, 2014
  9. Saltgrass Win User
    When you took the picture, you booted using the C: partition and into the C: partition. The boot files for that OS are in that partition. I am not sure why you no longer use the 350 MB partition for booting, but perhaps an install changed the active partition which not allow those boot files to be usable. Windows 8 would have added the 350 MB partition, but made it active.

Since the only other Active partition you show is on the 640 GB drive, some boot files may be there.

Saltgrass, Nov 30, 2014
  10. topgundcp Win User
    This has been a confusing issue when installing Windows. Without any HD marked as Active and the HD you want to install Windows must be set first in the BIOS and without formatting the HD first (Keep the HD unallocated) and let Windows manage the installation then Windows will create a 350 MB partition. If you format the HD before Windows installation then Windows will install the bootmgr together in C: Drive.

topgundcp, Nov 30, 2014
  11. Thanks for the reply. I'll re-install tomorrow night and this time I won't format the drive, I'll just delete it and leave it unallocated.

MowermanEd, Nov 30, 2014
  12. topgundcp Win User
    Just don't forget to mark disk 1 inactive or better yet, disconnect it when you re-install.

topgundcp, Nov 30, 2014
  13. Saltgrass Win User

Have you tried booting to the 640 GB drive?

Saltgrass, Nov 30, 2014
  14. No, that's my data drive and all I keep on it is "My Documents"

MowermanEd, Nov 30, 2014
  15. Saltgrass Win User
    No, that's my data drive and all I keep on it is "My Documents" How do you know, unless you try. The boot files only need an Active partition, not some special one.

Saltgrass, Dec 1, 2014
Thema:

1. DISK BOOT FAILURE. Can't figure this one out! - Similar Threads - DISK BOOT FAILURE

2. can't figure out!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can't figure out!: Hello, it seems i can't locate the right site for my rog strix z490-h gaming from asus. If someone friendly and knowledgeable enough to help me find it, i would be really happy. Is there a failsafe way to find for any motherboard, i would be relieved to know it too,Best...
  3. can't figure out!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't figure out!: Hello, it seems i can't locate the right site for my rog strix z490-h gaming from asus. If someone friendly and knowledgeable enough to help me find it, i would be really happy. Is there a failsafe way to find for any motherboard, i would be relieved to know it too,Best...
  4. can't figure out!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSoD on boot- can't figure out cause

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSoD on boot- can't figure out cause: Hi I often get errors on a cold startup such as: Critical process diedSystem service exceptionPage fault in non paged area Memory mngmnt etc. Then after I reboot, generally the error goes away and sometimes I have to use the disk checker to clear up any ssd corruption before...
  6. BSoD on boot- can't figure out cause

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSoD on boot- can't figure out cause: Hi I often get errors on a cold startup such as: Critical process diedSystem service exceptionPage fault in non paged area Memory mngmnt etc. Then after I reboot, generally the error goes away and sometimes I have to use the disk checker to clear up any ssd corruption before...
  7. BSoD on boot- can't figure out cause

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Can't figure out exact cause of hardware failures

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't figure out exact cause of hardware failures: After an automated update on my graphics driver from windows I began experiencing hardware failures Kernal code 141. I went through the usual of uninstalling and re-installing drivers even going as far as using DDU and AMD utility cleaner to no avail. I swapped memory cards...
  9. Cant figure this one out.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant figure this one out.: So my pc been restarting on me. I been running test trying to find out what's cause it. Today I notice my memory in task manager says 2.2/7.9 gb. I have 2x8gb ram stick in my pc. Under system it shows 16gb but only 7.9 is usable. Do I have a bad ram stick? submitted by...
  10. Post-boot freeze at desktop; can't figure out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Post-boot freeze at desktop; can't figure out: I've been trying to install Windows 10 on an SSD; for ~2 weeks I've been occasionally getting a frozen computer just after boot at the desktop. I've had to clean install Win10 at least half a dozen times. I haven't figured out what causes it, but once it happens the cycle...