Windows 10: disk cleanup bug??

Discus and support disk cleanup bug?? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Disk cleanup says it can free up to 4 TB of space on my 120GB C: drive, after a update. WTF!!! Even adding the 2TB HDD and another 120 GB SSD (which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by derek10, Dec 8, 2016.

1. derek10 Win User

disk cleanup bug??

Disk cleanup says it can free up to 4 TB of space on my 120GB C: drive, after a update. WTF!!!

Even adding the 2TB HDD and another 120 GB SSD (which is 60 GB partitioned) which are far from full, this doesn't make any sense.

Is this some weird bug in Disk Cleanup utility? Is there a explanation for this?
    Thanks

disk cleanup bug?? [​IMG]

:)

derek10, Dec 8, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Disk cleanup

CleanMgr has some basic rules for some of your temp files - need to be older than x days before it would delete some. Plus files that are currently in use it wont delete.

That does seem like an extreme amount of temp files. I would go find where those are located and figure out why so many.

Those few bytes in Temp Internet files are probably just space used by empty dat files and windows default browser things.

You might want to do a web search of disabling prefetch. Prefetch takes about 6 fresh boots to populate, so you might as well disable it. Although I dont why you want to delete those.

You might be interested > Disk Cleanup Cleanmgr Command Line Arguments in Windows 10

'Mike P, Dec 8, 2016
  3. disk cleanup

Using disk cleanup including previous versions is completely safe to use.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Dec 8, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

disk cleanup bug??

This is a known item, and appears after the Anniversary Update to Windows 10. It's related to Windows Update files that are heavily cross-linked on disk, which causes them to be reported as larger than actual size. If you run this Google Search you'll see this item has been widely discussed in the community. It turns out to be about 900 MB of on-disk info, if memory serves, so it's nowhere near as big a thing as it may seem! *Wink
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 8, 2016
  5. Saltgrass Win User
    Are you seeing the same numbers if you go to Settings-System, click on Storage then select the drive you want to check?

Saltgrass, Dec 9, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    This is a well-documented problem that goes back to KB3194798. I blogged about it back on October 12, drawing on member Bree's excellent explanation of the issues behind the huge reported size. It has to do with links embedded in the file itself to files all over the WinSxS folder hierarchy. Each instance of the link counts as if it were a file, and the sizes of all the files are summed to report the apparent size of the object. For 64-bit systems (I don't have any 32-bit data, sorry) the actual size is more like 900 MB, not 3.98 or 3.99 TB as is variously reported. It's just an artifact of the internal file structure: it's not the real size of the data blocks involved.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    And it's another example of sloppy software engineering from MS.

Steve C, Dec 13, 2016
  8. derek10 Win User

disk cleanup bug??

Many thanks!

I've searched about disk cleanup huge files and found nothing, sorry for posting a known issue *Sad

derek10, Dec 13, 2016
  9. alexncfc Win User
    On a different note Derek, are you running some sort of Windows 95 colour scheme there? Looks good!

alexncfc, Dec 13, 2016
  10. derek10 Win User
    Many thanks! *Smile
    Yeah, I always liked the classic Windows 95/98 style, and tried to "emulate" in Windows 10 as far as I could *Smile

derek10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

disk cleanup bug??

1. disk cleanup bug?? - Similar Threads - disk cleanup bug

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: Why does the Disk Cleanup still exist on Windows 10/Server 2022/11? Like no one uses it.sorry for selecting something differewnt on the sub-topics, it did not giive me the disk cleanup....
  3. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: why won't Disk Cleanup delete the 3.2gb of temp files. when I try using the remove files in settings, they are shown as deleted but if I renter settings they reapear. why is that?...
  4. Disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk cleanup: Hi so I did my first disk clean up I think it’s called and in that included a downloads as well as other stuff. Could I have deleted something important or is it junk? submitted by /u/Mondo_dook65 [link] [comments]...
  5. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  6. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  7. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  8. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  9. Disk Cleanup Windows Error Reporting Bug

Disk Cleanup Windows Error Reporting Bug: So I know this isn't for Windows 10, I just haven't been able to find a Windows Server 2008 forum. I was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction or have the answer. Our endpoint management service sent a task to us stating that one of the...
  10. Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files

Disk Cleanup Bug with Temporary Files: did alittle more digging... in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Temporar y Files what does the defualt key to? the original is 0B2C35D2-C8BC-4470-BFC0-D6BB1235E5CE i changed it to...