Windows 10: Disk CleanUp not totally cleaning. ( it did originally )

Discus and support Disk CleanUp not totally cleaning. ( it did originally ) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello all. Nice to be here. I have an issue with the Disk Cleanup. Backround: 1. I had 8.1 and downloaded 10 successfully. 2. I do all updates... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Juice, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Juice Win User

Disk CleanUp not totally cleaning. ( it did originally )

Hello all. Nice to be here.
    I have an issue with the Disk Cleanup.
    Backround:
    1. I had 8.1 and downloaded 10 successfully.
    2. I do all updates manually DAILY. Without fail
    3. Disk Cleanup was working properly. I would run and then rerun and have basically nothing in the files that have just been cleaned. DC worked as it should for 2 weeks.
    4. Now, when I run it I always have files uncleaned, the bulk of which are in “ Temproary Internet Files” and “Temporary Files”. Total file size is 7-15 MB.
    5.When I check the folder "IE" (IE, last folder in the below path) by clicking the Disk Cleanup “VIEW FILES” I see a .dat file “container.dat”. The file is empty, size is 0 K. The path for the above is: AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows>INetCache>IE
    6. I have "show hidden folders and files" selected as well as "show operating system files" enabled. Without this enabled I would not see the “container .dat” file.
    7. I reinstalled the OS from Microsoft via download twice. This did not correct the problem. I did not do a complete install I kept my files and settings via that option during the download prep.
    8. I did not install any new programs prior to this occurring.
    As a note from day one I noticed that I do not appear to have the Windows 10 Disk Clean Up. I do not have the “Compress Files” option that 10 has on its Disk CleanUp utility. I wonder if this is available only from a media purchase of 10?

Any Ideas folks?
    Thanks,

:)

Juice, Aug 19, 2015
  2. empath06 Win User

disk cleanup not cleaning up

disk cleanup is not working. My computer is getting affected by this. screens are not loading quickly, load partially and skip in loading. I have been using this computer for a long time and have never had this issue. Virus protection works fine. Is
    this due to windows updates? Somebody answer this question that knows what they are doing and not give me a pacifying answer.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

empath06, Aug 19, 2015
  3. disk cleanup not cleaning up

Not enough information, really.

Guessing this started recently? Used System Restore to go back to a day/time when everything was fine yet?

You say, "Virus protection works fine", but that means very little these days - you can still easily be malware infested.

So, assuming you did not live with this for an extended time - use System Restore to rollback to a date/time you remember things working well and see if they still are - or not...

Also, look at Windows Update installation time/dates and see when they were last installed.

Shenan Stanley, Aug 19, 2015
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

I do not use disk cleanup that much but have you tried the excellent Crap Cleaner?

CCleaner - Standard

eLPuSHeR, Aug 19, 2015
  5. rpol16 Win User
    I started using CCleaner, it does everything Disk Cleaner does and more. It even cleans the registry and I have never had a problem.

rpol16, Aug 19, 2015
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Same here, I use CCleaner Pro Loved it so much I bought it.
    Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 is buggy right now anyways, doesn't delete files for a lot of folks.
    D/l CCleaner. *Smile

OldMike65, Aug 19, 2015
  7. Juice Win User
    I have CCleaner and it works fine. Looking for a fix for DiskCleaner

Juice, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Gary Win User

Do you mean the Disk Cleanup Tool?? If you do run it as an Admin.

9. topgundcp Win User
    How about running cleammgr.exe in extended mode. Open Admin command, copy and paste the following:
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:35 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:35
    Put a check mark on everything except "Setup Log Files"

Or use
    TFC Temporary file removal tool .Right click and run as Admin

topgundcp, Aug 19, 2015
  10. Juice Win User
    Ran as ADMIN...same issue.

Ran this from command prompt but this extended version does not show me numerical values at pre and post clean. I cannot tell if it fully or partially cleaned. I ran a half dozen times and the Disc Cleanup Tool still shows 12-16 megs at pre clean. So the command run did not solve the issue. Yep, other tools are available but I would like to fix this issue. What is strange is that it was fine before. I did not load anything new. I just did Windows updates and security suite updates as I normally do.

Cheers

Juice, Aug 24, 2015
  11. JohnBurns Win User
    Do you feel secure running Registry Cleaner on CC?

JohnBurns, Aug 24, 2015
  12. Juice Win User
    I have run Registry Cleaner on CC successfully for years. I tried restoring several points from the CC Registry backup with no luck.

Cheers

Juice, Aug 24, 2015
  13. OT7
    OT7 Win User

Same problem. Will TH2 fix this?
    *Sad

14. OldMike65 Win User
    I had the same problem with Disk clean a few weeks ago, nothing I tried work, it always left files not deleted, that it said it would remove. So I gave up trying to fix it. Then about 2 weeks ago, I did a Clean install of Windows 10 Pro, After doing the clean install of windows, EVERYTHING in windows works just about, the way it should, disk clean now runs prefect. I don't think their is any other way to make it run the right way, without doing a clean install. Or just use CCleaner. *Smile

OldMike65, Oct 8, 2015
  15. Does it change after a restart? Can your delete the internet files from inside internet options?

I agree, a clean install may be the best option. Here is how to do it if you go down that path: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

DustSailor, Oct 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Disk CleanUp not totally cleaning. ( it did originally ) - Similar Threads - Disk CleanUp totally

2. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  3. Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Cleanup not cleaning Windows Update Clean-up: For a bit, I have been trying to get rid of Windows Update Clean-up in Disk Cleanup, but it is not working. I have tried searching but every answer I find either does not relate to my situation/does not work. It has gotten so bad that it has accumulated to 8.30GB.I would...
  4. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files: Windows 10 - Disk cleanup will not delete Temp. Int or Thumbnail files no matter what I do. Did %temp%, scan now, all DISM's took forever, storage sense on, everything others recommend but nothing I do cleans up Temp. Int. or Thumbnails. What else can I do short of...
  5. Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.: Hi. I am using Windows 10 and trying to liberate disk space. When using the disk cleanup app and giving the ok to clean, it erases 5 GB from the total 100 GB to clean; I need to re-open and run it repeatedly to erase 5GB at a time. Do you know why disk cleanup doesn't erase...
  6. Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.: Hi. I am using Windows 10 and trying to liberate disk space. When using the disk cleanup app and giving the ok to clean, it erases 5 GB from the total 100 GB to clean; I need to re-open and run it repeatedly to erase 5GB at a time. Do you know why disk cleanup doesn't erase...
  7. Disk cleanup does not erase the totality of the files.

8. Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.

Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.: My BitDefender antivirus detected and quarantined malware, but I wanted to take proper measures and delete all temporary files and restore points. That is when this problem happened. Disk Cleanup is showing that I have 8.41 GB of temporary files but does not delete them at...
  9. Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.: My BitDefender antivirus detected and quarantined malware, but I wanted to take proper measures and delete all temporary files and restore points. That is when this problem happened. Disk Cleanup is showing that I have 8.41 GB of temporary files but does not delete them at...
  10. Disk Cleanup is not cleaning up Temporary files.

in Windows 10 Gaming