Windows 10: Disk Cleanup says it can remove 44GB of old windows installations

Discus and support Disk Cleanup says it can remove 44GB of old windows installations in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey I decided today to cleanup my C:/ drive a bit, and I saw that I have a windows.old file. Its size is 4.52GB on disk. When I started Disk Cleanup,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sommervold, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Disk Cleanup says it can remove 44GB of old windows installations

Hey

I decided today to cleanup my C:/ drive a bit, and I saw that I have a windows.old file. Its size is 4.52GB on disk. When I started Disk Cleanup, it said I can 44.6GB worth of old windows installations. does not seem right at all since windows.old is at 4.52GB only. Is this some bug? is it safe to clean it?

Disk Cleanup says it can remove 44GB of old windows installations [​IMG]

:)

Sommervold, Jun 2, 2018

2. Windows 10 Disk cleanup is not removing Windows.old

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

You can follow the below steps for deleting the Wndows.Old folder by login as administrator.

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog, type cleanmgr, and click/tap on OK to open Disk Cleanup.
    • If you have more than one drive or partition on your PC, then select the Windows C: drive, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    • Click/tap on the Cleanup system files button. (see screenshot below)
    • If prompted by UAC, click/tap on Yes.
    • Repeat step 2 above.
    • Check the Previous Windows installation(s) box, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
    • Click/tap on Delete Files to confirm. (see screenshot below)
    • When Disk Cleanup finishes, the C:\Windows.old folder will be deleted.
    NOTE: Be sure to copy any files that you may want out of the
    Windows. Old folder before you delete it. Once deleted, they are gone.

If you delete the Windows. Old folder, you will no longer be able to go back to a previous
    version of Windows

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 8, 2018
  3. Disk cleanup in Windows 10 is not removing selected files

To ZizZag:

I am trying to clean up old system files using Disk Cleanup in Windows 10, and after selecting them and clicking okay, it appears to be working. However, upon running Disk Cleanup again, I saw that it
    did not remove any of the selected files. I am not receiving an error message. I do not know where the files are located, but they are listed in Disk Cleanup as being available for cleanup. I'm not sure how to delete them in Safe Mode, although I'm assuming
    I would still have to use Disk Cleanup. Can you (or someone on this list) explain now to do this? Thank you.

SandraKayWinter, Jun 8, 2018
Thema:

Disk Cleanup says it can remove 44GB of old windows installations

1. Disk Cleanup says it can remove 44GB of old windows installations - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup says

2. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  3. Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Disk Cleanup will not Remove Windows Update Cleanup: I recently ran disk cleanup on Windows 11 Pro to clear about 2 gig of Windows Update files. This has always worked in the past, but, now, it acts like it's working except that the process moves much too quickly compared to how it used to work. If I run it again, it says that...
  4. Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup: Trying to remove Windows Update Cleanup files either using Settings windows or Disk Cleanup, it displays 4 GB of occupied space by Windows Update Cleanup but I cannot remove it either way. I tried:Running Disk Cleanup as administrator,Running Disk Cleanup in SafeMode,Manual...
  5. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  6. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  7. Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup doesn't remove $WINDOWS.~BT: Attempt to launch `cleanmgr` on the C:\ drive. Use the button `Clean up system files` to compute how to remove the `$WINDOWS.~BT` folder. There is no option in the `Files to delete:` section about removing the folder. How do I recover this space? Running the `cleanmgr` as...
  8. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  9. Disk Cleanup cant remove 44GB of old windows installations

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup cant remove 44GB of old windows installations: Hey I decided today to cleanup my C:/ drive a bit, and I saw that I have a windows.old file. Its size is 4.52GB on disk. When I started Disk Cleanup, it said I can 44.6GB worth of old windows installations. does not seem right at all since windows.old is at 4.52GB only. Is...
  10. does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    does w10 disk cleanup remove windows updates?: Hi does windows 10 disk cleanup remove windows updates? i updated windows 10 , i reboot and i run disk cleanup as administrator but in the list there is no entry about windows updates thanks 17032