Windows 10: Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB

Discus and support Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Just after updating Windows 10 pro and decided to run Disk Cleanup and noticed that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Updates to clean, I read that this was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gedstar, Jan 10, 2017.

1. gedstar Win User

Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB

Just after updating Windows 10 pro and decided to run Disk Cleanup and noticed that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Updates to clean, I read that this was a bug in previous builds and had been fixed or maybe not!
    I'm not in the Fast Ring or Insider Preview

Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB [​IMG]

Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB [​IMG]

:)

gedstar, Jan 10, 2017
  2. Parpaluck Win User

Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Update files to be cleaned

After Windows 10 update KB3213986, a lower numbered update came out on January 24, 2017:
    KB3211320. Surprisingly also, Windows did not require a restart after installation.

The best news: KB3211320 solved
    the KGB 3.99TB virus. I did a
    Disk Cleanup, including Cleanup System Files, and I no longer saw 3.99TB for
    Windows Update Cleanup.

So far, so good!

Ion Saliu

“A good man is an axiomatic man; an axiomatic man is a happy man. Be axiomatic!”

Parpaluck, Jan 10, 2017
  3. Ang087 Win User
    Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB of Windows Update files to be cleaned

This has happened with the free disk space tool since the beginning when I first started receiving cumulative updates for Windows 10 in the old version 1511 and in the new version 1607.

After the green bar goes all the way over, it never completes the disk cleanup which is trying to clean up the 3.99TB of previous older windows updates.

What I learned to do is either cancel it by hitting the cancel button or opening up Task Manager and end Disk Cleanup. Either way works. After I've waited a few minutes, I try Disk Cleanup once more. It goes through the whole process and also no longer shows
    that 3.99TB of older Windows Updates that needed to be cleaned up.

I have never waited for the Cleanup Disk Utility to clean up that 3.99TB because you would be waiting forever for it to finish. Once the green bar goes all the way over, I then cancel it. Everything works okay the second time you use Disk Cleanup.

I figured it out to be a glitch of some sort. I did have Windows 7 Home Premium when I first upgraded to Windows 10 version 1511. Not sure exactly what causes this problem, but just know that you can cancel Disk Cleanup, wait about 5 or 10 minutes and then
    do the Disk Cleanup again. That 3.99 TB will disappear, and you can finish up with Disk Cleanup.

Ang087, Jan 10, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

This has happened before on other Windows 10 builds. I blogged about this on October 12 and again on November 11 last year. Here are some links:
    http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarge...ter-kb3200970/
    Cleanup 3.99 TB from 500GB Drive! - Windows Enterprise Desktop
    The issue, as forum member Bree explained it back when, is that a file with lots of hard links is going to be reported as equal in size to the number of copies linked. Thus, for a 200 MB file, 10 hard links means 2 GB! The older updates were in the range of 900 MB to 1.1 GB if memory serves, and reported as 3.99 TB likewise. It's not a bug, it's a feature!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 11, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's been a matter of ridicule for years now, was happening since W7 at least.

CountMike, Jan 11, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I wonder if anyone has filed a claim against Microsoft in small claims court? "You promised me 4 TB of free space and I want my 4 TB of free space!"

NavyLCDR, Jan 12, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    Lol. that would teach them.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk Cleanup says that I have 3.99 TB - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup says

2. KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.: I'm trying along with probably millions of others to reduce the size of Winsxs. I almost never use Windows Update and I don't think I've ever uninstalled a Windows Update. Apparently a lot of Winsxs are backups of Windows Updates. Couldn't I delete at least most of the older...
  3. KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB2852386: I have it but there's no "Windows Update Cleanup" in Disk Cleanup.: I'm trying along with probably millions of others to reduce the size of Winsxs. I almost never use Windows Update and I don't think I've ever uninstalled a Windows Update. Apparently a lot of Winsxs are backups of Windows Updates. Couldn't I delete at least most of the older...
  4. i have 99 at the disk section in task manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i have 99 at the disk section in task manager: is normal to have 99 disk for 2 minutes after u started the pc ? and a bit higher cpu but then is everything normal ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-99-at-the-disk-section-in-task-manager/55c66d9d-a2f0-4dbb-9faf-aed1edb11fe7
  5. fixing disk stuck at stage 3 %99

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fixing disk stuck at stage 3 %99: I was downloading a game from steam than it said ''disk reading error'' after that it thought restarting the pc helps it but it started to fixing disk. The first two stages worked without a problem,but stage 3 stuck at %99 can help please???...
  6. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  7. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  8. 3 Tb HHD showing 16 Tb of data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 Tb HHD showing 16 Tb of data?: Combines storage capacity of everything on my network (which includes an 8 Tb server) is 14tb. I did shut down the server and checked properties again, same results. I've posted the results below. I have 150Gb of music files in the music folder. [ATTACH]...
  9. 3 TB Disk Allocation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 TB Disk Allocation: I am having problems trying to allocate all of the space on a new 3 TB drive. When I installed windows 10 it installed the system files on the 500 GB SSD and allocated an additional 500 MB on Disc 0 (the 3 TB drive) for System Reserved. I have been able to create a New Volume...
  10. 3 tb hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    3 tb hdd: Hello all, I have just installed my new WD 3TB drive into my system and everything seemed fine. I partitioned and formatted the drive without issue and went ahead loading it with my files etc. All seemed fine until I rebooted my system and now it wont boot up, In fact...