Windows 10: Disk Cleanup seems to be broken

Discus and support Disk Cleanup seems to be broken in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I try to run it, it seems to do the job just fine. After, let it scan for files again, and you'll see that the 'Files to delete' are the same as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by djdelarosa25, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Disk Cleanup seems to be broken

When I try to run it, it seems to do the job just fine. After, let it scan for files again, and you'll see that the 'Files to delete' are the same as before: nothing got deleted.

Is there any way to reset Disk Cleanup?

:)

djdelarosa25, Feb 9, 2018

2. time.windows.com seems to be broken?

Looks like it is working fine today. I didn't notice when it started working again.

I guess it was just some kind of temporary outage?

James-Paige, Feb 9, 2018
  3. time.windows.com seems to be broken?

I am in the US. For me, time.windows.com resolves to 23.99.222.162

James-Paige, Feb 9, 2018
  4. Disk Cleanup seems to be broken

Hi,
    Did you right click disk cleanup and select run as administrator ?
    A restart is needed to complete the operation as well.

ThrashZone, Feb 9, 2018
  5. You could refer to Why Doesnt Disk Cleanup Delete Everything from the Temp Folder?
    However unless there is a specific reason to do so, I would leave the defaults alone.
    If you want to let us know what it is you don't like the results maybe it will be worth investigating what you want to do about it.

In case you'd like to know I have a monthly maintenance plan once month and it includes disk cleanup.
    --- No problems occur because of what doesn't get removed.

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Tried both. Didn't work. It's stuck on 76.9 MB every time I try to run it.

Disk Cleanup seems to be broken [​IMG]

djdelarosa25, Feb 10, 2018
  7. No, it's not that it doesn't delete everything. It's because it doesn't seem to delete ANYTHING at all.

Please see the screenshot that I uploaded to know what I'm talking about. Everytime I run Disk Cleanup, it always shows 76.9 MB worth of files to be deleted, even if I repeatedly do so.

8. Bree New Member

Disk Cleanup seems to be broken

There is a known bug with the latest cumulative update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 in that 46MB is left behind however you try to clean up. It's not a problem in Disk Clean up, the same thing happens if you use the command:
    Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    The problem appears to be in the windows update files themselves. This problem will likely go away after the next update comes out this Tuesday.

See post #72: Cumulative Update KB4058258 Windows 10 v1709 Build 16299.214 - Jan. 31

Separately, there's also a problem in the way the size of the temporary internet files are calculated. It showf files to be cleaned that aren't really there.

Disk Cleanup showing 2.9GB Temporary Internet Files Disk Cleanup issue with Temporary Internet Files

9. I see. Thanks for informing me!

10. Bree New Member
    In both cases, it's safe to ignore them for now. The 'update' problem may go away of it's own accord after the next update.

The 'temporary internet files' don't seem to be actually there. If it bugs you, it can be reset to zero by the method in this thread.
    Disk Cleanup showing 2.9GB Temporary Internet Files

11. The same happens to me nowadays, seems like nothing is being cleaned:

Ivan Petrov, Feb 10, 2018
  12. I hope this gets fixed soon. My OCD is killing me

13. Disk Cleanup seems to be broken

The newest update did not fix this issue, unfortunately *Sad

djdelarosa25, Feb 13, 2018
  14. What is OCD?

MeAndMyComputer, Feb 13, 2018
  15. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have it too.

stealth2920, Feb 13, 2018
Thema:

Disk Cleanup seems to be broken

1. Disk Cleanup seems to be broken - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup seems

2. Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing: I don't know if this is just me having this issue or not, but every time I run Disk Cleanup it seemingly does nothing to give me back space. In fact, every time I've run it it seems to take away space not much space, but still. In order for me to regain any space I've had to...
  3. Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing: I don't know if this is just me having this issue or not, but every time I run Disk Cleanup it seemingly does nothing to give me back space. In fact, every time I've run it it seems to take away space not much space, but still. In order for me to regain any space I've had to...
  4. Disk Cleanup seemingly does nothing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  6. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  7. is Disk Cleanup broken?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    is Disk Cleanup broken?: If i press on Disk Cleanup on my C Drive, it pops up and starts scanning for 2secs and closes. I am on Win10 1903. I know that we can cleanup junk using the tool in the Settings app but today when I launched Disk Cleanup found out this bug. submitted by /u/sauravm [link]...
  8. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  9. Disk Cleanup is Broken.. How Do I Fix It?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup is Broken.. How Do I Fix It?: Whenever I use disk cleanup, the process takes forever to clean up my drive. How can I fix this? 126425
  10. Disk Cleanup is Broken.. How Do I Fix It?

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup is Broken.. How Do I Fix It?: Whenever I use disk cleanup, the process takes forever to clean up my drive. How can I fix this? 126425