Windows 10: Disk CleanUp

Discus and support Disk CleanUp in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When using DISK CLEANUP Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files (both boxes ticked) After Cleanup ....... * Temporary Internet Files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gaz132, May 14, 2016.

1. gaz132 Win User

Disk CleanUp

When using DISK CLEANUP

Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files (both boxes ticked)

After Cleanup .......

* Temporary Internet Files still shows 7 MB of files
    * Temporary Files still shows 3 MB of files

It does not seem to empty/clean all the hidden folders up

Can anyone help and/or explain why?

Is this something to do with the new windows 10 ? *really

CleanUp should be just that - cleanup empty/delete all folders

:)

gaz132, May 14, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Disk cleanup

CleanMgr has some basic rules for some of your temp files - need to be older than x days before it would delete some. Plus files that are currently in use it wont delete.

That does seem like an extreme amount of temp files. I would go find where those are located and figure out why so many.

Those few bytes in Temp Internet files are probably just space used by empty dat files and windows default browser things.

You might want to do a web search of disabling prefetch. Prefetch takes about 6 fresh boots to populate, so you might as well disable it. Although I dont why you want to delete those.

You might be interested > Disk Cleanup Cleanmgr Command Line Arguments in Windows 10

'Mike P, May 14, 2016
  3. disk cleanup

Using disk cleanup including previous versions is completely safe to use.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 14, 2016
  4. RolandJS Win User

Disk CleanUp

Many empty folders are for Windows Prime operations, wouldn't recommend messing with folders you did not create.

RolandJS, May 14, 2016
  5. gaz132 Win User
    Sorry you misunderstand....
    I don't want to mess with any folders

Disk Cleanup has a tick box next to Temporary Internet Files and Temporary Files

the tick box is there for a reason (to delete and cleanup files and folders)

My question originally was... why when you tick the box it still leaves some files there and does not cleanup

as per DISK CLEANUP
    MICROSOFT > windows 10 has a program Disk CleanUp (and there to be used by op)
    All I am asking is why is it only cleaning 75% of the files

gaz132, May 14, 2016
  6. Reboot and see if your results are better.

Layback Bear, May 14, 2016
  7. pbcopter Win User
    3MB and 7MB is really not much. Are you sure Windows is not recreating files based on it;s normal operation?

pbcopter, May 14, 2016
  8. Disk CleanUp

TairikuOkami, May 14, 2016
  9. RolandJS Win User
    gaz132, you're right, I missed the fine points! I'm glad you got the answers!

RolandJS, May 15, 2016
  10. Agree.
    One can spend the rest of their life chasing a few MB.

Layback Bear, May 15, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    and, according to gaz132, "All I am asking is why is it only cleaning 75% of the files"

So, if disk cleanup left 10 mb behind that would mean he only had 40 mb to clean to begin with, 30 mb was cleaned, 10 mb was left behind. I sure would not bother running disk cleanup for 40 mb in temp files - even on my tablet and stick computers with only 32gb eMMC memory. That 40 mb would be 0.12% of memory space on them. And I'm even the guy with OCD that will change a light bulb at midnight if I see it is burned out.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2016
  12. RolandJS Win User
    NavyLCDR, howszitgoin'? Anyway, when you posted "memory space" you meant byte-space, correct?

RolandJS, May 15, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Disk CleanUp

I meant that 40 mb would be 0.12% of the eMMC memory that acts as the hard drive in the tablet/stick computers. Actually, though, subtracting the boot and recovery partitions, that 40 mb might jump up to 0.2% of "C: drive" space.

NavyLCDR, May 15, 2016
  14. RolandJS Win User
    ",,,eMMC memory" -- I'm learning from you! What exactly is eMMC memory? I know nothing about Windows 10 or 8, only some things about Windows 7.

RolandJS, May 15, 2016
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    "Not all solid-state storage is as fast as an SSD. “eMMC” is the kind of flash storage you'll find in cheap tablets and laptops. It's slower and cheaper than a traditional SSD you'd find in more expensive computers. eMMC storage has a lot in common with SD cards."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...9yBTGW0uYWPQ5Q

Think of it as a 32GB SSD built into tablets, stick computers, and cheaper netbooks. It shows up as a physical drive and has partitions just like an SSD or hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Disk CleanUp

1. Disk CleanUp - Similar Threads - Disk CleanUp

2. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files: Windows 10 - Disk cleanup will not delete Temp. Int or Thumbnail files no matter what I do. Did %temp%, scan now, all DISM's took forever, storage sense on, everything others recommend but nothing I do cleans up Temp. Int. or Thumbnails. What else can I do short of...
  3. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files: Windows 10 - Disk cleanup will not delete Temp. Int or Thumbnail files no matter what I do. Did %temp%, scan now, all DISM's took forever, storage sense on, everything others recommend but nothing I do cleans up Temp. Int. or Thumbnails. What else can I do short of...
  4. Disk CleanUp doesn't clean up all files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will disk cleanup delete open tabs in browers ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will disk cleanup delete open tabs in browers ?: Will running disk cleanup delete open tabs in browsers, thankyou : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-disk-cleanup-delete-open-tabs-in-browers/3c9cfd77-74bf-4339-8670-7fd15daddd12
  6. Will disk cleanup delete open tabs in browers ?

Will disk cleanup delete open tabs in browers ?: Will running disk cleanup delete open tabs in browsers, thankyou : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-disk-cleanup-delete-open-tabs-in-browers/3c9cfd77-74bf-4339-8670-7fd15daddd12
  7. Will disk cleanup delete open tabs in browers ?

8. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up: Hey, I'm trying to clear my system files on my C drive because I'm running out of space. So I'm trying to use disk clean up, it says I can clear 8.6GB but it never clears. I'm running it in admin mode but I'm not sure what to do. I've also tried using the Microsoft app 'PC...
  9. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up: Hey, I'm trying to clear my system files on my C drive because I'm running out of space. So I'm trying to use disk clean up, it says I can clear 8.6GB but it never clears. I'm running it in admin mode but I'm not sure what to do. I've also tried using the Microsoft app 'PC...
  10. My 'Windows Update Cleanup' won't clear from my Disk Clean up