Windows 10: Disk drive does not read any DVD's anymore. (Not a hardware problem)

Discus and support Disk drive does not read any DVD's anymore. (Not a hardware problem) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Since I upgraded to windows10 I am unable to watch movies from a DVD. I can read other kinds of disks just fine, just not movies. For... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by KV60, Aug 16, 2015.

1. KV60 Win User

Disk drive does not read any DVD's anymore. (Not a hardware problem)

Hello,

Since I upgraded to windows10 I am unable to watch movies from a DVD. I can read other kinds of disks just fine, just not movies. For instance, I wanted to watch the sixth Harry Potter movie. So I enter my DVD but my laptop just says there is no disk entered. I thought there was something wrong with my DVD at first. But it works fine in all other devices I have at home. So then I thought the problem must be my disk drive. But then I inserted the bonus DVD of the movie, and this one worked fine. WHAT? How is this even possible, both are DVD's, just the bonus disk doesn't have a movie on it. I tried this with all the harry potter movies we have at home and the same occurred each time, the movie DVD does not work but the bonus DVD (with behind the scenes and whatever) works fine. I have searched all over the internet and haven't found a solution. The only thing I find is people of which their Disk Drive isn't found anymore. But this is not my problem.

Hopefully someone can help me, my knowledge of computers is pretty limited.

Thank you in advance *Smile ,
    KV

P.S.: It's a laptop, the details can be found on my profile I believe. And I wasn't really sure in which thread I should post this. As it isn't really a hardware problem, I don't think it's a driver problem (my pc says drivers are up to date) so I assumed it must be a software problem.

:)

2. DVD drive works on all but movie DVDs after windows 10 upgrade.

First off I know that Windows 10 does not have the software to play DVD built in anymore, that being said, after updating to Windows 10 64 bit, it no longer reads a store bought DVD movie. Before you give a canned answer, the drive will read and write
    to CD/DVD disk, so the drive is working. But when i put in a movie DVD Windows will not acknowledge that there is even a disk in the drive. After several minutes of trying to read data, windows 10 will not even show a list of files on the disk, if i try to
    double click on drive it ejects drive and asks to insert a disk. Have tried third part software, but they do not work since windows does not think there is a disk in the drive. I have already tried updating driver, removing driver, manually installing driver,
    installing third party software, done a clean install, still have the same problem. Any assistance aside from canned and non problem related suggestions would be appreciated.

camrahalic, Aug 16, 2015
  3. Dvd Driver not working

I installed an old dvd drive on my new computer to download a driver from a disk but the driver to the dvd player wont read any information off the disk. Windows troubleshooter says its a driver problem. This is the name of the dvd disk drive:

- HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N

The troubleshooter wont fix the problem.

hannahrankin, Aug 16, 2015
  4. Thomas Win User

Thomas, Aug 16, 2015
  5. KV60 Win User
    I have VLC on my laptop. But I can't play anything with it because my pc thinks there is no disk inserted. So there is nothing to be played. I can hear the disk turning for like 2 seconds, then it stops, and then again 2seconds, and then it stops again. (And I insert all the movie dvd's in my dekstop (windows 7) and they all worked. So the problem must be caused by windows 10.)

6. Thomas Win User
    You may want to reinstall VLC. I can play all DVD's in all my W10 computers.

Also a complete power down and restart sometimes works for a lot of problems.

Thomas, Aug 16, 2015
  7. KV60 Win User
    Both did nothing. *Sad

8. Thomas Win User

Have you talked to Toshiba ?

Thomas, Aug 16, 2015
  9. KV60 Win User
    No, but I've met one other guy online who has the exact same problem, and he's using an HP laptop. So it would surprise me if the problem was related to my laptop being a Toshiba.

10. Thomas Win User
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Good luck.

Thomas, Aug 16, 2015
  11. KV60 Win User
    No problem, I appreciate your input .

Thema:

1. Disk drive does not read any DVD's anymore. (Not a hardware problem) - Similar Threads - Disk drive does

2. Optical drive cannot recognise any dvd disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Optical drive cannot recognise any dvd disks: I wanted to install a wifi software to my Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF but I found that there were troubles with the optical drive it came with. Windows cannot detect any dvd disk I insert. I want to know what I can do if this is an OS problem or a hardware problem. If it’s a...
  3. DVD drive will not read my software DVD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DVD drive will not read my software DVD: I have upgraded my hardware and my TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-233C players will not read my software disc. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both drives, but this has not worked. I have tried installing new drivers and this has not worked This is what the event manager is...
  4. dvd drive not reading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dvd drive not reading: i just restored pc drive letters changed now my dvd drive is not reading https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-not-reading/57a31ac9-2a07-4415-aa57-01aa5f4381ff
  5. DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Drive Problem: Is it hardware or software?: I have a Dell Inspiron 3650 desktop. When I insert a "new" DVD, then try to open it, I get message: "Windows cannot read the disk in drive D:\. Make sure the disk uses a format the windows recognizes. If the disk is unformatted, you need to format it before using it"....
  6. My Windows 10 DVD won't read any disks

My Windows 10 DVD won't read any disks: I have Windows 10 with a DVD drive that used to work. I have updated the drivers using Windows Update and they say the device is working. Whenever I try to read a DVD, the door opens and it says to put a DVD into the drawer. How do I fix it?...
  7. dvd drive can not read written files on disks

dvd drive can not read written files on disks: [img] 57960
  8. DVD Drive, not reading any Media

DVD Drive, not reading any Media: This has been going on for a while but neither of my DVD internal drives are reading any DVD or CD There both TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223L they use to run everything and burn everything. some how neither will read any disk? any ideas both are reconsied as DVDRW drives in...
  9. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since I upgraded to windows 10 my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading. 2. when I click to dvd drive , appears a dialoge box stating "Insert Disk" . So I am unable to use and cd to read/install any of my software. Also I have...
  10. DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks

DVD/CD SATA drive not reading disks: Since upgrading my SATA DVD/CD RW will not work. I insert a disk the light come on showing it is reading and than the drive opens and the pop up box appears stating "Insert Disk" . So I cannot install any of my software. I have read that a lot of people are having the same...