Windows 10: Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't

Discus and support Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every now & then this HDD won't initialize but eventually works. It's 1.5Tb & so unreliable I don't put data on it anymore. I check periodically & it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GARoss, Aug 15, 2018.

1. GARoss Win User

Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't

Every now & then this HDD won't initialize but eventually works. It's 1.5Tb & so unreliable I don't put data on it anymore. I check periodically & it's been okay each time. Yesterday I needed to organize data so I used the drive & naturally today, it won't initialize! I don't recall anything of real importance being on that drive so no great loss if it's dead.

It's not visible in Window Explorer. Any attempt to initialize fails. Diskpart does not see the HDD nor other recovery software like Crystal Disk Info Portable & other disk recovery software. I've tried to update the driver & Windows says the correct driver is installed. What else can be done?
    Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't [​IMG]

:)

GARoss, Aug 15, 2018
  2. kipper Win User

The media is write protected on internal HDD

This should or maybe I should say could help with your problem...

Step 1.

From All Programs….select “Windows System”………Right Click and select “Run as Administrator” on “Command Prompt”…….when the cmd prompt window opens go to the next step…

Step 2.
    Type "diskpart" at the prompt and press the "Enter" key. The Diskpart tool launches.

Step 3.
    Type the "list volume" command, without quotes, then press the "Enter" key. The volumes attached to the computer are listed.

Step 4.
    Type "select volume X" (omitting quotes and replacing "X" with the letter of the volume to modify) and then press "Enter."

Step 5.
    Type "attributes disk clear readonly" (again omitting quotes) and then press "Enter" to make the specified disk writable.

Step 6.
    Type "exit" to close the Diskpart utility.

Hope you get it figured out....

kipper, Aug 15, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 15, 2018
  4. Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't

Disk showing in Disk Management, But not DiskPart

Hello!

So, today I was doing a friend a favor, he had an old 1TB hard drive with important photos on it. He said he would appreciate it if I could move the photos to a different hard drive.

So, I hooked it up to my self-built PC (with a SATA port) and it didn't show up in file explorer.

So, I checked Disk Management to see if it would show up there, and it did. I later realized why it didn't show up in file explorer (Because it didn't have a drive letter). In Disk Management, I right clicked the primary partition only to find that it wouldn't
    let me assign a drive letter.

I remembered there was another way to assign drive letters, with DiskPart. So I typed this into Command Prompt:

diskpart > list volume

In DiskPart, It showed the drive's EFI system partition (partition 1) but not the (Healthy) Primary Partition (partition 2).

Also in DiskPart, I could type "list disk" and it would show me the 1TB drive, if I then typed "list partition" it would show me the different partitions, but wouldn't let me assign a drive letter to them.

In summary, Disk Management showed the partition, but wouldn't assign a drive letter. DiskPart showed the partition 1, but not the primary partition.

My objective is to show the photos located on the 1TB drive's 2nd partition without erasing it.

I would be happy to add pictures if necessary.

Thanks!

John-Louis Barton, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't

1. Disk Mgt sees internal HDD as "Uninitialized", Diskpart doesn't - Similar Threads - Disk Mgt sees

2. Windows 11 can’t see new Internal HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 can’t see new Internal HDD: I have installed windows 11 on my Dell Precision 3630. After doing this I installed new internal hdd and tried to restart PC. Unfortunately with new HDD connected, windows would not boot. I disconnected and restarted and all booted fine. Reinstalled internal HDD whilst PC on...
  3. Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...: Hi. I have an external drive that does not show up in file manager windows 10. In data management, it does not show any partitions, is labeled disk 1, unknown, and not initialized. Right mouse clicking it "initialize" is greyed out. In diskpart, I see disk 1 with status of...
  4. Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...: Hi. I have an external drive that does not show up in file manager windows 10. In data management, it does not show any partitions, is labeled disk 1, unknown, and not initialized. Right mouse clicking it "initialize" is greyed out. In diskpart, I see disk 1 with status of...
  5. Why can I see my external hard drive is not in file manager, data mgt, or diskpart but I...

6. Unable to see 2nd internal HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to see 2nd internal HDD: After a failed game installation from steam in to my PC, I am now unable to see my 2nd internal HDD at all in 'This PC'. I did encounter multiple disk check during reboot and also went through with it, however, now I am unable to see it/access the drive....
  7. Unable to see 2nd internal HDD

Unable to see 2nd internal HDD: After a failed game installation from steam in to my PC, I am now unable to see my 2nd internal HDD at all in 'This PC'. I did encounter multiple disk check during reboot and also went through with it, however, now I am unable to see it/access the drive....
  8. diskpart doesn't show disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    diskpart doesn't show disk: Hey, I am trying to install Win10 on a mac book air. However the diskpart does not list the disk even after reformatting the partition as NTFS per suggestion. read through this solution but cannot move to step 1 listed in the solution by Ivan as that disk doesn't see...
  9. Installing 2nd HDD, disk management not starting and diskpart not starting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing 2nd HDD, disk management not starting and diskpart not starting: Greetings, Got a new computer, installed everything last week, everything working out, for reference, running Windows 10 on a 500GB SSD drive, install runs fine, updated drivers, got windows updated, no problems. Decided to get a secondary drive for storage, a Western...
  10. Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 not seeing internal HDD: Hi I have a problem after a windows update where evrytime I booted into windows it wanted to check the disk and I had to press any key to cancel, so after searching the internet got this site up https://www.raymond.cc/blog/disable-...ndows-startup/ and used example : Start...