Windows 10: Disk order shown in disk Management

Discus and support Disk order shown in disk Management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] I read somewhere that the C directory disk should ideally be Disk 0 - as you will see, my three internal disks do not follow this pattern.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Skofab, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Skofab Win User

Disk order shown in disk Management

Disk order shown in disk Management [​IMG]

I read somewhere that the C directory disk should ideally be Disk 0 - as you will see, my three internal disks do not follow this pattern.

Do I need to swap the signal leads at the motherboard end to correct this - or does it not really matter. I confess I do like to see detail where the main drive is listed first*Wink
    Will this work, or it it not to be advised or have adverse consequences.
    Thanks in advance for your comments

:)

Skofab, Jun 23, 2017

2. the usb disk drive is shown in "Disk management" but NOT in File manager

Thanks for the update.

Andre Da Costa, Jun 23, 2017
  3. henryvo1 Win User
    the usb disk drive is shown in "Disk management" but NOT in File manager

Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot for all, trying to help.

I just figured it out: when I use my computer for linux , by swapping the main hard drive, for some reason linux messed around with the attached USB drive and converted it to Ext4 file system, instead of NTFS. That's why Windows can not read it.

Anyway it's done now: I have to reformat the drive. loosing all data of course, but it's the peine to pay.

Once again, thank you all very much

Henry

henryvo1, Jun 23, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

It doesn't really matter. It's up to your personal preference. If you do switch your hard drive cables, you might also have to go into BIOS setup and change the boot order to point to the first SATA port if it doesn't do it automatically.

NavyLCDR, Jun 23, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Historically, the only time the disk connections really mattered was with the PATA/Parallel ATA cable that could be connected to 2 physical HDDs. One end of the 40/80 conductor cable went to the motherboard, the other end to the Master drive and the middle plug for the Slave drive. The Master was the boot/system drive. The drives could be jumpered as Master or Slave but the more recent setups were CS/Cable Select for both which the cable determined.

Berton, Jun 23, 2017
  6. Skofab Win User
    Happy to relate that a cable swap did the job, without any other changes /repercussions.
    Me being pedantic I suppose - but I found this quirk very annoying.
    Thanks everyone

Skofab, Jun 23, 2017
  7. Skofab Win User
    POSTSCRIPT !!

The very next day, there was a flicker on the screen - I dont know why.

However, later I went into disk management out of curiosity, to see that the new order was still in evidence. To my surprise, everything had reverted back to the original 'misorder' - although no further cable changes had been made.
    Interesting*Huh

Skofab, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk order shown in disk Management - Similar Threads - Disk order shown

2. SSD shown in Device Manager & BIOS but not Disk Managament?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD shown in Device Manager & BIOS but not Disk Managament?: So, I own a:- GP73 Leopard 8RFAnd I just got my new SSD: -Kingston Fury Renegade PCIe 4.0 NVMe m.2 KINGSTON SFYRD2000GLong story short: My D: has given up and I decided to get a random high-storage device and for about 6 hours I've tried everything I've seen on google about...
  3. my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management: hard drive when plugged via usb it gives clucking code sound western digital WXP1E21MTF34 as attached, it clucks 9 times then 3 times then 3 times again then nothing! how can i get windows to recognize the harddrive given that it didn't shown any signs of it being about to...
  4. my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my harddrive shown as not initialized on disk management: hard drive when plugged via usb it gives clucking code sound western digital WXP1E21MTF34 as attached, it clucks 9 times then 3 times then 3 times again then nothing! how can i get windows to recognize the harddrive given that it didn't shown any signs of it being about to...
  5. Disk Management list order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management list order: I recently added two USB splitters and decided to reassign the drive letters so they're easier to find.Having done that I went on line looking for how to have the drives listed in alphabetical order In DISK MANAGEMENT. All I found was instructions on how to show the drive...
  6. Disk Management list order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management list order: I recently added two USB splitters and decided to reassign the drive letters so their easier to find.Having done that I went on line looking for how to have the drives listed in alphabetical order In DISK MANAGEMENT. All I found was instructions on how to show the drive...
  7. Disk Management list order

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Management list order: I recently added two USB splitters and decided to reassign the drive letters so their easier to find.Having done that I went on line looking for how to have the drives listed in alphabetical order In DISK MANAGEMENT. All I found was instructions on how to show the drive...
  8. My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on...: My external seagate hdd is shown on disk management and device manager but is not shown on file manager,it shows that it is online in disk management and that there are 2 partitions and both are online How do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  9. C drive not shown in disk defragmenter, but seen in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive not shown in disk defragmenter, but seen in disk management: Hello! I'm having a problem regarding the sudden disappearance of my C drive in my disk defragmenter. I used chkdsk in command prompt and error checking in my C drive properties, it sees errors but when I restart it, I see Scanning and repairing drive C:... without any...
  10. WD not shown in Explorer but shown in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WD not shown in Explorer but shown in Disk Management: Hi, I recently tried to connect my WD Extrernal 1 TB passport to my windows PC. After connecting, I hear the normal click sound that appears on connecting on any external device. But I dont see any device shown in the explorer. I do see my passport under disk management...