Windows 10: Disk Partition Tool can't extend C

Discus and support Disk Partition Tool can't extend C in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My desktop computer has a few hard drives in it and for some reason C: is on the second disk. It's maxed out and needs to be made bigger. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sarahk, Aug 17, 2015.

1. sarahk Win User

Disk Partition Tool can't extend C

My desktop computer has a few hard drives in it and for some reason C: is on the second disk. It's maxed out and needs to be made bigger. I've uninstalled everything but have failed to make enough space to even backup my phone (Silly iTunes insists on using C*Smile

I've shrunk the two partitions on that drive but because of the green box (I gather) I can't give the space to C:

I'd happily get rid of F: if that was the only way but I'm worried I'll do that and still have free space inside a green box. I can select the green box, by the way, but there doesn't appear to be any actions or menu items for it.

I've installed the MiniTool Partition Wizard and it doesn't seem to be able to help.

So - what are my options?

:)

sarahk, Aug 17, 2015
  2. tdug Win User

partitioning and creating a dynamic partition in order to install win 10?

Hello,

You can extend it as I did with a specialized tool like this one :

Paragon Hard Disk Manager for Windows | Paragon Software

With it, it is possible to extend the System reserved partition pushing the beginning of C:

Better to clone the os disk before working on the partitions. This too you can do with this tool.

3. Saltgrass Win User
    c drive and d drive disk particitions space

Any chance you could use the snipping tool to take a picture of your Disk Management window and attach?

Depending if there is a Recovery partition after the C partition, you may need to remove the D partition and extend C then recreate D in the space available.

If you are restricted by a recovery partition you will need to use a third party disk management software.

Saltgrass, Aug 17, 2015
  4. Harpert Win User

Difficult to say what your options are without a graphical display of what the situation is
    Most partition software needs to get confirmation before they actually make the changes
    Are your sure you have deleted the other partitions?
    It might look (graphically) okay, but the program is waiting to execute the changes until you give it a GO

Please restart the PC
    take your partition software and check the actual drive situation
    If the other partitions are not yet wiped, do it again
    If wiped, try extending your system partition again.
    If that does not work, post a picture of your hard drive situation

Good Luck

Harpert, Aug 17, 2015
  5. sarahk Win User
    Hi @Harpert

My screenshot didn't make it past moderation - maybe this time.

I've rebooted, and the win10 tool shows the same info as the MiniTool program so I don't think it's an "apply" problem.

I love your signture btw *Smile

sarahk, Aug 17, 2015
  6. z3r010 Win User
    z3r010, Aug 17, 2015
  7. Arjan Win User
    Are you trying to extend the volume from a different disk or from a partition on the same disk?

If you're trying to extend the volume from a different disk then you can't just extend the volume like that. You'll have to convert both these disks to a Dynamic Drive and (if i remember correctly) this is no longer possible after Windows has been installed on either of these drives/partitions of the drives you want to use. This is because Windows will label the partition it has been installed on as a boot drive and this cannot be extended across disks.

If you're trying to extend the volume with another partition on the same drive, make sure this partition is properly wiped/reformatted (the space you want to use must say unallocated). So far I've always been able to extend a C drive with more space, as long as the space I used came from a partition that was on the same disk.

Good luck!

Arjan, Aug 17, 2015
  8. robgr Win User

In the meantime have you performed housekeeping (Disk clean-up & Clean up system files)?
    If you upgraded to Win 10 don't forget you can remove the old Windows installation if you're happy (check in 'Clean up system files)

robgr, Aug 17, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ummm.....it can't be a formatted partition and unallocated at the same time Disk Partition Tool can't extend C :). You delete the partition and leave it deleted. Apply changes. Then that space will show up as unallocated.

NavyLCDR, Aug 17, 2015
  10. Arjan Win User
    I'm sorry, this is indeed correct! *Smile

Arjan, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk Partition Tool can't extend C - Similar Threads - Disk Partition Tool

2. I can't extend the volume for c partition ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't extend the volume for c partition ?: I can't make extend for partition C by clicking right and the extend volume is hidden. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-extend-the-volume-for-c-partition/df31e888-1daf-45fe-a189-d6062b047d92
  3. I can't extend the volume for c partition ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't extend the volume for c partition ?: I can't make extend for partition C by clicking right and the extend volume is hidden. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-extend-the-volume-for-c-partition/df31e888-1daf-45fe-a189-d6062b047d92
  4. Extending the C Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extending the C Drive Partition: I have 368.10GB free on the installed M.2 drive however I am unable to extend the "Boot Drive C:" partition within it. I have tried multiple things but I would like to avoid reinstalling windows if possible. The "Extend Partition" option is always greyed out. Please advise....
  5. Can't extend windows 10 c partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't extend windows 10 c partition: I have reinstalled from USB Flash, WIN10 on my laptop. The screen is broken . So I reinstalled blind guessing the prompts, with some online video content guidance.I now have a working Win10 Laptop again using external Monitor.ButMy OS Win10 C: Partition is only using 25GB...
  6. Can't extend windows 10 c partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't extend windows 10 c partition: I have reinstalled from USB Flash, WIN10 on my laptop. The screen is broken . So I reinstalled blind guessing the prompts, with some online video content guidance.I now have a working Win10 Laptop again using external Monitor.ButMy OS Win10 C: Partition is only using 25GB...
  7. Can't extend windows 10 c partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Extending Disk Partition

Extending Disk Partition: I have reinstalled my Windows on my system switching back from ubuntu. After installing the windows on my PC the Hard disk SSD have partitioned in a weird manner. I have a got a 4.47 GB space at the start of the disk and the EFI partition and then the local disk partition of...
  9. Extend Disk partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extend Disk partition: Hi i want to extend disk my c drive with a free 48 gb space. but i cannot do that. The extend option is greyed out and i cannot also delete the free disk space. pictures of it are bellow. Please help me increase the disk space. Thank you.[ATTACH]...
  10. Unable to extend C: partition

Unable to extend C: partition: Hi I am trying to configure my recently purchased laptop which came with Win 10 installed. It also came with a hard drive partiton (D:) pre installed. The C: partition is marginally larger than is required by the Win 10 installation. Anyway, I am loading on various apps...