Windows 10: (Disk read error) bad port how can i fix this?

Discus and support (Disk read error) bad port how can i fix this? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am trying to further know what's causing this problem in this computer at where i work. Turned it off a while ago then turned it on again later then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gMemo92, Jul 5, 2017.

1. gMemo92 Win User

(Disk read error) bad port how can i fix this?

I am trying to further know what's causing this problem in this computer at where i work. Turned it off a while ago then turned it on again later then i got that Disk Read Error - press ctrl + alt + delete. So first thing i went to was the sata cable i unplug it from the port and plugged it to another port (there is 4 in total). Turned it on. And now it booted successfully. So yeah. It's a port problem.

But before i did all of that in the bad port i went to BIOS and BIOS detects the hard drive. So i don't know why it won't boot the hard drive in that port.

What could have caused the port to go bad? Could it be perhaps a setting i have to configure? Or something ... ?

:)

gMemo92, Jul 5, 2017

2. usb problem

I do not know the exact answer. I believe there are background apps that checks voltage and shut down any ports that have power surges to protect the computer.

It may be due to a bad port, bad driver or outdated driver, or the hub is bad. I have also seen older devices not work well in Windows 10. Sorry I cannot be more of a help, but to me it does not seem like a Windows problem.

You can disable the messages or the port, but that is not a fix.

In one forum I read that disabling hibernation it resolved the problem for that person.

tamara_sadel, Jul 5, 2017
  3. Can't get past windows login screen

Partly that, "Why are crashes so bad for your disk? They can cause bad sectors, luckily soft bad sectors. Bad sectors are segments on your hard drive that cannot be properly read. So for example if your machine crashes, sectors, including boot sectors can
    become corrupt and cause issues. If you don’t use software to mark and repair bad sectors they can get worse over time and corrupt more data. Sometimes you can no longer use your disk at all if you don’t get rid of corrupt sectors.

Read more at:
    http://windows7themes.net/en-us/how-to-run-chkdsk-on-windows-10-to-avoid-bad-sectors-reallocated-sectors-uncorrectable/
    © windows7themes.net

Now, as I said...if your computer can repair the bad sectors there is nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it especially if the errors are not repaired.

CassieMorrisonMN, Jul 5, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I also have a motherboard where one of the SATA ports on it went bad, did as you and changed to a different port, ran the BIOS to redetect the drive and all is good. Unfortunately, to put things totally back to the way they started requires replacing the board. You were lucky, my problem messed up the drive by messing with the formatting, converted it to RAW from NTFS.

Berton, Jul 5, 2017
  5. gMemo92 Win User
    I think it could be dust gathering up in that port. I noticed that the computer has a good amount of dust in some areas.

I am going to see if i can get some q-tips and alcohol to clean the port up. Clean it up tomorrow.

gMemo92, Jul 5, 2017
  6. gMemo92 Win User
    Ok it wasn't the port after all. It was the wire checked it from both sides and one side had part of the plastic broken. All i did was plug it back into the hard drive but i put some electrical tape in that area that way it wouldn't wiggle around and lose connection.

I moved it back to the bad port again now it's working.

Wonder how that piece of plastic broke of the wire though? ..

(also i didn't clean the area)

gMemo92, Jul 5, 2017
  7. spunk Win User
    SATA data cables are very cheap, and your IT dept should have some lying around, just change the cable.

spunk, Jul 5, 2017
  8. gMemo92 Win User

Yeah i know i just got two of them. But i think i'm going to leave it like that. So far the tape seems to be doing the job. The wire is not really damaged it's just a piece of the plastic end that broke off. Hopefully it doesn't give me a sudden BSOD. lol

gMemo92, Jul 5, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    Why would you do that? If your PC gets moved or knocked it will dislodge the cable, just replace it and then you won't have to think about it

spunk, Jul 5, 2017
  10. gMemo92 Win User
    Yeah i know. But i tighten the connection to the hdd really good. Nothing will happen even if it gets hit or moved.

gMemo92, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. (Disk read error) bad port how can i fix this? - Similar Threads - Disk read error

2. bad image error code how can i fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bad image error code how can i fix this?: Ive tried everything from reinstalling directx,updating/reinstalling vcredist, and even downloading and putting the .dll file where its suppose to go and nothing seems to be working and ive been told maybe its a windows issue and i have to reinstall that. Should i reinstall...
  3. bad image error code how can i fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bad image error code how can i fix this?: Ive tried everything from reinstalling directx,updating/reinstalling vcredist, and even downloading and putting the .dll file where its suppose to go and nothing seems to be working and ive been told maybe its a windows issue and i have to reinstall that. Should i reinstall...
  4. Disk reading error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk reading error: When I start my pc it says that there is a disk read error. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reading-error/ecb05ee0-c691-41ef-a23b-a56f5b3c2efe
  5. Disk reading error

Disk reading error: When I start my pc it says that there is a disk read error. How can I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-reading-error/ecb05ee0-c691-41ef-a23b-a56f5b3c2efe
  6. How can I fix RtkAndUService64.exe-Bad Image

How can I fix RtkAndUService64.exe-Bad Image: When I was trying to plug my earphone or open the Bluetooth, there will have a window that says C:/WINDOWS/System32/RtkCfg64.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Error status 0xc0000006...
  7. How can I fix RtkAndUService64.exe-Bad Image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I fix RtkAndUService64.exe-Bad Image: When I was trying to plug my earphone or open the Bluetooth, there will have a window that says C:/WINDOWS/System32/RtkCfg64.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Error status 0xc0000006...
  8. Disk read error.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk read error.: my laptop is jut displaying a screen sying that a disk read error has occured and i have to restart it by clicking on Alt, Ctrl, Del buttons. but its still not working when i press the buttons....
  9. How can I get a copy of windows on disk to fix errors?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How can I get a copy of windows on disk to fix errors?: My PC has been running really slow for the last 6 months or so. I want to wipe it clean and start fresh to get it going, but every time I try to do this my computer says there was an error and it couldn't reset my PC. I went into command prompt and tried to have it find and...
  10. Disk read errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk read errors: Is Microsoft ever likely to read disks and handle read errors without taking for ever! It's NOT hard. I did this in the early '80s in assembler and I am not even a programmer. It was slow then using floppies and a read error could be taken care of in a few hundred...