Windows 10: Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

Discus and support Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lionwing, Jun 17, 2018.

1. lionwing Win User

Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions.

"C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage.

The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs updates etc and a regularly clean the disk using "Disk Cleanup" and the "Clean Up System File" utilities.

Nothing significant has been installed on the C Drive for sometime with Windows and the User folder dominating the used space on the drive.

While this isn't a problem I do wonder why the free space can vary with no obvious cause?

:)

lionwing, Jun 17, 2018
  2. Tom_510 Win User

Fluctuating disk space

This is somewhat of an odd problem and although I have scoured the net, I haven't found anyone with a similar issue...

I received a notification that my PC was low on disk space which surprised me because I should have had at least 400 gb available. I checked and sure enough, I was almost maxed out. My first solution is always to restart the system, which I did. This seemed
    to correct the issue, at least temporarily. As the day went on, the amount of available disk space slowly disappeared. What's going on?

I checked for recent program updates and noticed two applications that had updated since the issue began. Dropbox and Roblox. I deleted both but the issue persists. I performed the disk repair utility, deleted some temp files and the issue persists. Not
    sure what's going on.

There was a Windows update on 7/12 which was about when this issue began. Not sure if they are related.

I've attached a few screenshots from just this morning. One snapped at 8:52 showing no available disk space and one at 9:05 (after a restart) showing over 400 gb available space.

Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates 4c2c6b5e-8247-474d-9069-bd97289f5e14.png

Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates f9947151-7e1a-415c-b745-a37ba5ed007f.png

Tom_510, Jun 17, 2018
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Fluctuating disk space

Hi Tom,

Conflicts with some of the start-up programs is one of the possible reasons why you are having issues with the disk space of your hard drive. We suggest that you run your computer in clean boot and see if you will encounter the same issue.

A clean boot is a troubleshooting technique that allows you to get the computer up and running so that you can perform diagnostic tests to determine which elements of the normal boot process are causing problems. You can follow the steps on this

link
    to run your computer in clean boot.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

hard disk space

Hello,

Taking into consideration that the free space is shrinking fast, it is possible that your system is creating restore points. To
    delete restore points except for the recent one, simply follow the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Disk Cleanup and click on the first result.
    • Once the Disk Cleanup window appears, select the
      More Options
      tab.
    • Under the System Restore and Shadow Copies column, click on the
      Clean up... button.

Once done with the steps, see if your disk space has expanded.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Jun 17, 2018
Thema:

Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

1. Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates - Similar Threads - Disk Space Free

2. Free up disk space prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free up disk space prompt: Hello I have got a doubt regarding this free up space prompt saying we can't update your device because of low disk space. I want to know that if I go through this prompt and select downloads folder and delete a file by pressing right click delete will the file go to recycle...
  3. Solid State Drive Free space having a lot of fluctuation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Solid State Drive Free space having a lot of fluctuation: I have my Windows 10 installed on an SSD.All was going great but recently I have noticed that there is a lot of fluctuation in my free space of Windows 10.The fluctuation is about 5GB and every time I boot my PC there is almost 2-5GB filled or autmatically freed.I do nothing...
  4. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  5. Freeing up Disk Space??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Freeing up Disk Space??: My computer is almost new with almost no programs added. I've also gone through and deleted some unwanted programs. Yet it won't let me add anything new because it says I don't have enough disk space. My sister thinks I may have a virus but I can't even install anti-virus...
  6. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  7. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  8. Re: Free Disk Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Re: Free Disk Space: I would like to know how do I transfer data from my internal hard drive to a memory stick, the problem is my laptop's internal hard drive is only 30GB and Windows is taking the most space? Please can someone assist? Much Appreciated....
  9. disk storage: freeing up space

disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...
  10. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...