Windows 10: Disk space management assistance

Discus and support Disk space management assistance in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Good job, ! I'm glad you got it sorted.*Smile IF you were to want to recover that disk space (now unallocated) to use in the Windows partition, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Silencious, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Disk space management assistance

Always spot on. I was scratching my head either to leave or add to main partition. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Many thanks again

Silencious, Apr 4, 2018

2. Can I delete one of the healthy recovery partitions to gain space and why the two are there?*Huh

Disk space management assistance [​IMG]

:)

Silencious, Apr 11, 2018
  3. disk space management

how come when I delete a load of files and games I still have 0 disk space ?

ayden91182, Apr 11, 2018
  4. John Ado Win User

Disk space management assistance

disk space management

Hi Ayden,

How much do you need to clear? Did you check much space are actually being deleted? Regardless the number of files, if you are only trying to delete a Kilobyte or Byte worth of files, I don't think it will make any difference. Try using the
    Disk Cleanup to delete unnecessary temporary files. You should be able to do the same in
    Settings > System > Storage > This PC. It could be your external drive as well, then delete the files you think you don't need.

It's also a good idea to turn Storage Sense to automatically delete temporary files and files on your recycle bin. Speaking of which, after deleting stuff, check your Recycle Bin to make sure it's properly deleted

Let us know how it goes.

John Ado, Apr 11, 2018
  5. Word Man Win User
    From an elevated (admin) command prompt, execute "reagentc /info". This will tell you which partition has the WinRE environment actively in use.

There was probably a feature update (such as the one released 10/17/17) which need a larger recovery partition and so it unhooked from the first one and created the larger one at the end of the disk.

You can delete the one NOT being used (probably the 450MB) to no ill effect. Recovering that 450MB to be used takes further action which many members here can guide you on if you really want it.

As always, doing a complete disk image to another disk with a reliable backup solution such as Macrium Reflect (free or paid) or others before doing partition changes is highly recommended.

Word Man, Apr 11, 2018
  6. Thanks Word Man, by my reckoning, you are in fact correct and the 450mb is the one to remove as seen here as per your instructions

Disk space management assistance [​IMG]

and so I will remove. Thank you for your time and fast response. Tha only issue I have now...is...how do I remove that 450mb space??

Sorted:
    1. Open a command prompt as administrator.
    2. Run Diskpart application by typing Diskpart in the command prompt.
    3. In the “Diskpart” prompt, enter rescan command and press Enter key to re-scan all partitions, volumes and drives available.
    4. Then type in list disk and press Enter key to show all hard disk drive available.
    5. Select the disk that contains the partition you want to remove. Normally, with just 1 hard disk, it will be disk 0. So the command will be:
    Select disk 0
    Finish by Enter key.
    6. Type list partition and press Enter key to show all available and created partition in the disk selected.
    7. Select the partition that wanted to be deleted by using the following command, followed by Enter key:
    Select partition x
    Where x is the number of the recovery partition to be removed and unlocked its space. Be careful with the number of this partition, as wrong number may get data wipes off.
    8. Finally, type in delete partition override and press Enter key

Silencious, Apr 11, 2018
  7. Word Man Win User
    Good job, Silencious! I'm glad you got it sorted.*Smile

IF you were to want to recover that disk space (now unallocated) to use in the Windows partition, the next step would be using a partition tool (similar to: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free...n-manager.html ) to slide the leftmost 3 partitions (2nd would be a small MSR partition that doesn't show in Disk Management) to the left. But that's up to your preference and, if pursued, again should be preceded by a full disk image.

I honestly can't say whether I personally would want to recover the 450MB unused. I don't think it would be a problem for me as far as system capacity but it might bug the hell out of me anyways.*Wink

Word Man, Apr 11, 2018
Thema:

Disk space management assistance

1. Disk space management assistance - Similar Threads - Disk space management

2. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  3. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  4. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. disk space management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk space management: I have unallocated space but i am unable to add it to c drive as it is not adjacent to c drive.how to move unallocated space to the right of c drive so that extend volume option is not greyed out...
  6. disk space management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk space management: I have unallocated space but i am unable to add it to c drive as it is not adjacent to c drive.how to move unallocated space to the right of c drive so that extend volume option is not greyed out...
  7. disk space management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Move Unallocated Space in the Disk Management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Unallocated Space in the Disk Management: How do I move my unallocated space from disk 0 to disk 1 without using any outside sources. [Original Title: Disk Management] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-unallocated-space-in-the-disk-management/b88aa317-e6d3-4902-9fd4-6794aa4912b9
  9. Unallocated space is not visible in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated space is not visible in Disk Management: Hi, So I shrunk my F: drive volume by 30000MB, and after shrinking it, it was not visible as unallocated space. At this point, my F: Drive's space decreased 30GB, yet the unallocated space wasn't visible on Disk Management. Thus, I tried to shrink it again, but the same...
  10. Windows Update Disk Space Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Disk Space Management: Hi all just having a problem with updating my windows 10 pc. I dont currently have enough space to download it and i wanted to know if i can use another drive and if theres a way to configure this. i have a C: drive which is my SSD and has windows on it and a D: drive which...