Windows 10: Disk space suddenly spikes to 100% usage for no apparent reason

Discus and support Disk space suddenly spikes to 100% usage for no apparent reason in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi has anyone found a solution for this problem. This happens to me even when without any of the browsers. Thanks, Sumedha... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by EnaBasu, Aug 22, 2018.

1. EnaBasu Win User

Disk space suddenly spikes to 100% usage for no apparent reason

Hi

has anyone found a solution for this problem. This happens to me even when without any of the browsers.

Thanks,

Sumedha

:)

EnaBasu, Aug 22, 2018
  2. 1Dez Win User

100% Disk usage spike on Windows 10

Recently I have experienced that when running most applications (especially gaming) my Laptop would have a disk usage spike to 99% or 100%. when I check the task manager there is no specific program using the disk, its just at 100% usually forcing me to
    do a hard restart. baring in mind that when I run the programs the usually run smoothly and very randomly the disk usage spikes. this has only been happening since downloading windows 10. I have read many threads and applied many fixes such as disabling SuperFetch,
    BIT service and windows update. I have also disable cloud based protection which seemed to work for some people but not for me, any other suggestions?

3. twilkin17 Win User
    Disk usage spikes to 100 % when using browser.

I work as an IT service tech and I have ran into this problem as well. I have a HP Pro Book 440 G3. The laptop has a core i5 processor and 8 GB of RAM. I did all the suggested fixes from various forums such as these:

Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager [SOLVED] - Driver Easy

Disk usage at 100% windows 10 version 1709 - [Solved] - Windows 10

I did not have any luck fixing the problem. Just opening Edge or Google Chrome makes the disk usage spike up to 100% and it will stay there for a period of time. The 100% usage happens all the time after I login and then will die down for a while until I
    launch an application. There are sometimes when opening an application will make the disk usage spike above 75% which seems odd because its only one application running. No rhyme or reason as to why this happens. Task manager or Resource Monitor does not show
    any solid information as to why this keeps happening. Looking at other laptops with the same configuration the disk usage should not spike above or near 50%.

I also got a new hard drive and only did a fresh install of Windows 10 with all the latest updates. Still got the same behavior. This is certainly a Windows 10 issue as it has been documented though many forums using different manufactures of laptops (Dell,
    HP, Asus, etc..)

Its a shame I have a relatively new laptop that I cannot deploy to users since I am cautious about the performance and having to troubleshoot this for an end user. I hope there will be more attention to this because it has been happening to people for years
    now.

twilkin17, Aug 22, 2018
  4. Disk space suddenly spikes to 100% usage for no apparent reason

DISK USAGE PERCENTAGE UPTO 100% WITHOUT ANY REASON

HELLO!

I AM FACING A PROBLEM RELATED DISK USAGE. MY DISK USAGE KEEPS GOING TO 100 % WITHOUT ANY REASON ALONG WITH CPU WHOSE USAGE PERCENTAGE IS AROUND 86% I DON'T KNOW WHY, AND THEN MY LAPTOP SUDDENLY HANGS FOR ALMOST 3 MIN.

WITHOUT ANY REASON!! PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I AM NOT ABLE TO DO MY WORK!!

THANKS!!

SamyakJain_920, Aug 22, 2018
Thema:

Disk space suddenly spikes to 100% usage for no apparent reason

1. Disk space suddenly spikes to 100% usage for no apparent reason - Similar Threads - Disk space suddenly

2. Disk space at 100% for no reason

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk space at 100% for no reason: recently my disk space has been maxed at 100%. sometimes it gets maxed by something like system but most of the time there's nothing there to make it max. also at the moment my computer is updating and it is taking forever to update. but don't tell me the update is making it...
  3. Disk space at 100% for no reason

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk space at 100% for no reason: recently my disk space has been maxed at 100%. sometimes it gets maxed by something like system but most of the time there's nothing there to make it max. also at the moment my computer is updating and it is taking forever to update. but don't tell me the update is making it...
  4. SYSTEM USING 100% DISK; FOR NO APPARENT REASON

SYSTEM USING 100% DISK; FOR NO APPARENT REASON: Ever since a while ago, whenever I open task manager, it shows that System is using 100% of my disk!! I thought this odd, and looked online for different solutions. All of which, didn't seem to solve my problemIMPORTANT THINGS; So, the problem seems to occur AFTER I startup...
  5. SYSTEM USING 100% DISK; FOR NO APPARENT REASON

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SYSTEM USING 100% DISK; FOR NO APPARENT REASON: Ever since a while ago, whenever I open task manager, it shows that System is using 100% of my disk!! I thought this odd, and looked online for different solutions. All of which, didn't seem to solve my problemIMPORTANT THINGS; So, the problem seems to occur AFTER I startup...
  6. SYSTEM USING 100% DISK; FOR NO APPARENT REASON

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. 100 Percent disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 Percent disk usage spikes: Hello. My computer is slow and sluggish and the disk usage keeps spiking to 100 percent when I do anything. I have researched a lot and none of the solutions work for me I have had this problem in windows 10 too and thought the update to 11 would fix it but it did not. It...
  8. 100 Percent disk usage spikes

100 Percent disk usage spikes: Hello. My computer is slow and sluggish and the disk usage keeps spiking to 100 percent when I do anything. I have researched a lot and none of the solutions work for me I have had this problem in windows 10 too and thought the update to 11 would fix it but it did not. It...
  9. 100 disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100 disk usage spikes: So I've these problems with disk usage rising to 100% for 5-20 seconds every few minutes or so. Mind you this hard drive has run Windows 10 since February 2018 and I started having this problem in July 2019, so for almost two years Windows 10 has been smooth as butter. I can...
  10. Disk Usage Spikes to 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Usage Spikes to 100%: Hi, I have an ASUS Laptop here with the following specs: Intel Optane 1TB HDD Intel Core i5 8300H at 2.7Ghz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home running Version 1909 OS Build 18363.592 I have reinstalled windows from a USB after backing up my files off the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. suddenly strarted 100% disk usage pikes in performance tab