Windows 10: Disk space

Discus and support Disk space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Win 10 is telling me daily I'm running out of disk space on "K". A drive I use for backup. I check and their are no files on it. Disk also has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Nementh, May 17, 2017.

1. Nementh Win User

Disk space

Win 10 is telling me daily I'm running out of disk space on "K". A drive I use for backup. I check and their are no files
    on it. Disk also has Recycle bin on it, no files. This is getting annoying. Any ideas?

:)

Nementh, May 17, 2017
  2. Ken Blake Win User

Disk space

See Frederik Long's reply and let me add the following:

There are several things you can do to free up some disk space, but they are almost all temporary. If you are short of disk space, no matter what you do, you will soon find yourself back in the same situation. The only real solution to your problem is to
    either buy a second hard drive or replace the one you have with a larger one.

Ken Blake, May 17, 2017
  3. Disk space

No matter what instructions I follow I am unable to free up disk space to update computer or restore it.

-> Your post is a statement. Did you have a question?

What instructions did you follow? (You need to mention them so that respondents do not repeat those very same instructions.)

Frederik Long, May 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Disk space

First, make sure you have turned on 'show hidden files'.

Besides the Recycle bin there should be one more folder on your K: drive, the hidden 'System Volume Information' folder. This folder is inaccessible to even an administrator because its used to store, amongst other things, restore points.

You can see if the used space is in System Volume Information by using WizTree...
    https://antibody-software.com/web/so...ur-hard-drive/

Restore points can be deleted, the space allocated for them reduced, or even just turned off by configuring System Protection for your K: drive.

Turn On or Off System Protection for Drives in Windows 10

Amongst the other things that can be stored in the System Volume Information folder are Shadow Volume Copies. If by 'a drive I use for backup' you mean making system images then you may have some of those in addition to the shadow copies used for the restore points. They can be listed by opening a command prompt (admin) and running...
    vssadmin list shadowstorage

To delete them, run...
    vssadmin delete shadows /for=K: /all

Or, if you're really sure you have no files you want on the K: drive, just reformat it as a quick way to get your space back.

Thema:

Disk space

1. Disk space - Similar Threads - Disk space

2. i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...: i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C disk is also NTFS format. the extend volume button isnt working for me even as an administrator....
  3. i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C...: i cannot expand volume of my local disk C, the unallocated space is just next to t ad the C disk is also NTFS format. the extend volume button isnt working for me even as an administrator....
  4. Unallocated space not visible when I DISKPART>list disk/volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unallocated space not visible when I DISKPART>list disk/volume: I was reinstalling Windows 10 as I do often, but this time when I formatted the partition to use, it fails to create new partition with the message "We couldn't create new partition. [Error: 0xd85956d0]". The next option I tried was to use cmd with diskpart to create new...
  5. Unallocated space not visible when I DISKPART>list disk/volume

Unallocated space not visible when I DISKPART>list disk/volume: I was reinstalling Windows 10 as I do often, but this time when I formatted the partition to use, it fails to create new partition with the message "We couldn't create new partition. [Error: 0xd85956d0]". The next option I tried was to use cmd with diskpart to create new...
  6. Unallocated space not visible when I DISKPART>list disk/volume

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening: I am trying to download a big game but I cant because my local disk is full so I went to the storage setting in the settings app and when I check what category is taking up so much storage I see its Apps & Features, I take into account how much is taken up by it and when I go...
  8. My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening: I am trying to download a big game but I cant because my local disk is full so I went to the storage setting in the settings app and when I check what category is taking up so much storage I see its Apps & Features, I take into account how much is taken up by it and when I go...
  9. My Local Disk is full and I am trying to free up space in settings but nothing is happening

10. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM: A short while since March 15th I noticed an irregularity of disk space which marked a steady decline in my PC speed and response time. In mid-March, I noticed that permanently deleting large files wouldn't be reflected through available space and that the opposite would be...