Windows 10: Disk speeds

Discus and support Disk speeds in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Is it reasonable for a USB 3.0-attached external drive to have a significantly higher read rate than a SATA III 7200 RPM internal drive? I ran a disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pokeefe0001, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Disk speeds

Is it reasonable for a USB 3.0-attached external drive to have a significantly higher read rate than a SATA III 7200 RPM internal drive? I ran a disk speed test using the ToTuSoft Lan Speed Test(lite) and got the following results:

Test File: D:\Speed test.dat\NW_SpeedTest.dat
    Write Time = 0.0092875 Seconds
    Write Speed = 17,227.4701920 Mbps
    Read Time = 0.1763921 Seconds
    Read Speed = 907.0701040 Mbps

Test File: E:\Speed test\NW_SpeedTest.dat
    Write Time = 0.0996091 Seconds
    Write Speed = 1,606.2784160 Mbps
    Read Time = 0.0857151 Seconds
    Read Speed = 1,866.6495440 Mbps

where the D drive is an internal SATA III Western Digital WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 (1 GB, 7200 RPM), and the E drive is a Western Digital USB 3.0 3 GB MyBook.

I used this test program because it supported internal drives, USB-attached drives, and NAS drives, but I suspect the numbers are bogus. It claims to bypass buffering, but I bet it does not. I tried it on other drives on another PC (SSDs and HDDs, but with only SATA II support). The numbers were different, of course, but the reported write time was always significantly higher than the read speed. That makes no sense to me unless the data is buffered without the program knowing it.

Is there a more reliable (free) program that doesn't require an advanced degree in Diskology to understand? I tried the Microsoft Diskspd but had no idea what parameters to give it and couldn't understand any of its output.

:)

pokeefe0001, Jun 2, 2016

2. Low Read and Write disk speeds (Windows 10)

the boot speed is fine, used to be slow but i fixed that. The main issue is the disk speeds. because i notice on start up after boot the disk is 100% with very poor write and read speeds. Focus on the Hard disk please. "There
    is a lot of system HD writing." is this fixable?

Joe Boughton, Jun 2, 2016
  3. Slow computer

Dear Michelle,

Many thanks for your reply. I have done a speed test and the download speed is 35.37. the upload speed was 9 something but it disappeared before I could get the exact figure.

Re disk clean. I also use a Defraggler by Periform. Does this cover the disk cleaning you referred to?

The settings show disk health good.

Perhaps my machine has slowed down, to match me! Sorry to be such a nuisance.

Regards, Fisherman

9fisherman6, Jun 2, 2016
  4. Disk speeds

Without researching that program, it appears to be a network speed test, not a disk-based test. You will likely want something like this app. It's free and works with all types of hard drives.

Download ATTO Disk Benchmark - MajorGeeks

DeaconFrost, Jun 2, 2016
Thema:

Disk speeds

1. Disk speeds - Similar Threads - Disk speeds

2. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM: A short while since March 15th I noticed an irregularity of disk space which marked a steady decline in my PC speed and response time. In mid-March, I noticed that permanently deleting large files wouldn't be reflected through available space and that the opposite would be...
  3. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM: A short while since March 15th I noticed an irregularity of disk space which marked a steady decline in my PC speed and response time. In mid-March, I noticed that permanently deleting large files wouldn't be reflected through available space and that the opposite would be...
  4. Issues with available space and running speed disk/RAM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Disk usage at 100% at write speeds of 100 kb/s 1 week after changing SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk usage at 100% at write speeds of 100 kb/s 1 week after changing SSD: Reinstalled windows 10, transferred old files, via OneDrive, everything was normal for 1 week. Now the disk usage is at 100 % all the time, with 100 kb/s transfer speed. Just opening a folder takes 40 seconds. Initialization is fast, with high transfer speeds, but after, it...
  6. Disk usage at 100% at write speeds of 100 kb/s 1 week after changing SSD

Disk usage at 100% at write speeds of 100 kb/s 1 week after changing SSD: Reinstalled windows 10, transferred old files, via OneDrive, everything was normal for 1 week. Now the disk usage is at 100 % all the time, with 100 kb/s transfer speed. Just opening a folder takes 40 seconds. Initialization is fast, with high transfer speeds, but after, it...
  7. Disk usage at 100% at write speeds of 100 kb/s 1 week after changing SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Average bandwidth for Windows 10 Update with great internet speed and disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Average bandwidth for Windows 10 Update with great internet speed and disk space: I want to calculate the average bandwidth required for a device to successfully complete a Windows 10 Update. The calculation should factor in great internet speed, enough disk space and RAM size...
  9. Average bandwidth for Windows 10 Update with great internet speed and disk space

Average bandwidth for Windows 10 Update with great internet speed and disk space: I want to calculate the average bandwidth required for a device to successfully complete a Windows 10 Update. The calculation should factor in great internet speed, enough disk space and RAM size...
  10. Average bandwidth for Windows 10 Update with great internet speed and disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade