Windows 10: Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable

Discus and support Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am getting the above message when in plug an external HDD via USB. Checking this out forum I Have tried Chkdsk commands at cmd prompt: chkdsk f: /r... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Keval, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Keval Win User

Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable

I am getting the above message when in plug an external HDD via USB.
    Checking this out forum I Have tried Chkdsk commands at cmd prompt:
    chkdsk f: /r
    chkfdsk /f f:
    for both I get the same reply:
    "Type of file is NTFS. Unable to determine volume and version state"

This external HDD is my backup and I would like to get it back.
    If possible with data, if this is not possible just back so that I can re use it.
    I feel naked without it!
    NB To update this post. I am running Windows 10

any help appreciated......*Confused

:)

Keval, Mar 1, 2016
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 1, 2016
  3. Kapil Arya MVP, Mar 1, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Keval and welcome to Tenforums.

For corrupted partitions/partition tables/MFT/files try TestDisk.

For data recovery, you could trial some free software:
    ZAR
    Recuva

Seatools for Windows will check the health of the disk. You certainly don't want to use it if it's failed/failing.

Another possibility is the PCB inside the external enclosure may have gone bad. In this case, you could remove the drive from the enclosure, hook it up to an adapter and grab your data off it that way, or buy a new enclosure to mount it in. However, if your drive is a WD, chances are that's not possible, because they now solder their drives to the PCBs.

Hope that helps.

simrick, Mar 1, 2016
  5. Keval Win User
    Please see update above... I am running Windows 10....

Keval, Mar 1, 2016
  6. Keval Win User
    Hi Sorry I did not reply earlier but "Life" got in the way and I have been sidetracked.

Firstly I appreciate your reply however whenever I do anything I get msgs such as:

When I go into disk Management I get a diagramatic display
    of disks including the problem external HDD (in this case F*Smile
    The display says: (F*Smile
    831.51 GB RAW
    Healthy Primary Partition

When I bring up the disk properties
    and enter Tools tab
    and then hit CHECK
    "diskcheck could not be performed because windows could not access disk"

I would be happy if I got a usable HDD back, because it is less than a year old and I would like to be able to use it.
    As for the data on it, I always do 2 backups because of insurance against this exact type of problem.
    So the data on it is not so important at the end of the day.
    If I get it back that is great.
    if I don't, well so be it....

Keval, Mar 9, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    I would install MiniTool Partition Wizard free and use that to delete whatever it shows on the drive and then create a new NTFS partition on it. Of course that will erase the disk.

NavyLCDR, Mar 9, 2016
  8. Keval Win User

Thanks for that will give it a go... funny how things don't work on Windows 1o that used to work well......

Keval, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk Structure is Corrupted and Unreadable - Similar Threads - Disk Structure Corrupted

2. Corrupted and Unreadable Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted and Unreadable Drive: Hello, I wanted to talk about my drive that has suddenly stopped working.My D drive has suddenly stopped and whenever I click it, it says its corrupted and unreadable.It was working just fine the day before and now it no longer works. I use an external drive, so I tried...
  3. The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. - Error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. - Error: Windows Version: Windows 10, Dev (OS Build 21390.1010) On another computer - Windows Version: Windows 7, 6.1 (Compilation 7601: Service Pack 1) Hi guys! I've got a big problem with my school/private drive. Today morning I've tried to connect my drive to my laptop, and there...
  4. C: is corrupted and unreadable

C: is corrupted and unreadable: After starting my pc it showed disc checking has to happen and then it was scanning files. After this it said preparing automatic repairs and then it went in to diagnosing PC. So, after this I used command prompt in the troubleshoot window to check what is it with my drive...
  5. Need Help - Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need Help - Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error windows 10: Need some help figuring out why the following is happening. I have a Vectotech 4 TB USC-C SSD that is connected to a USB-C port on my PC running windows 10. Multiple times now - after a reboot or other unknown issue - the drive becomes inaccessible with the above error...
  6. Corrupted and unreadable files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted and unreadable files: Why are all my Microsort word and excel files corrupted and unreadable. This is not the first time it's happened - just want to know why and how to rectify the issue....
  7. F:\ is not accessible . the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. CHKDSK problems

F:\ is not accessible . the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable. CHKDSK problems: lately a couple of my hard drives have been getting this error come up and I can just chkdsk F: /r /f or w/e but this on is a bit different it has error codes and some other stuff Im trying to save it without wiping it coz I messed up and didn't back up anything so any help...
  8. External HDD shows "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

External HDD shows "the disk structure is corrupted and unreadable": I have a 1T external USB HDD and i found that the disk is "RAW" , i am using windows 10 Pro 93581
  9. disk structure is corrupt and unreadable

disk structure is corrupt and unreadable: So it was working fine and then it got slow when putting things on it and then blah it wont let me open it. if i managed to get the attachment thingy right you the drive f: which is giving me the problems i tried to circle it in paint. 26054
  10. Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

Windows 10 - The disk structure is corrupted and unreadable: Hi, last night my internal hard drive is working fine but today when I want to access my hard drive windows said: [img] then I tried to chkdsk the hard drive, but aborted: [img] when I open the hard drive properties, the result is blank: [img] then I tried...