Windows 10: Disk thrashing when using storage space

Discus and support Disk thrashing when using storage space in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I'm using a storage space for a two-way mirror of two 4Tb drives as D: drive. C: is a completely separate 128Gb SSD, and the page file and TEMP folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by NickJP, Oct 3, 2015.

1. NickJP Win User

Disk thrashing when using storage space

I'm using a storage space for a two-way mirror of two 4Tb drives as D: drive. C: is a completely separate 128Gb SSD, and the page file and TEMP folder are on a second SSD. I set the storage space up initially under Windows 8.1 Pro x64, and it worked without any problem, but after performing the in-place upgrade to Windows 10, I find that the machine becomes pretty much unusable for the first few minutes after bootup and login because the D: drive is at 100% utilisation, with average response time for D: (as shown by task manager) being up around several seconds. The I/O on the disk while this is happening is not high at all - a few Mb/sec is all that Task Manager shows for read and write speed on D:, which is only a few percent of the maximum throughput that the drive can support when running normally.

After a few minutes, whatever is thrashing the disk ceases and the machine performs after that with no problems. The machine is being shut down cleanly, so the mirrored disks should not be out of sync when it is started, which is the only reason I can think of (other than a bug) for why the disks are being thrashed in this manner. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

p.s. I should add that when I check the storage space using Control Panel / Storage Spaces, both the storage pool and the two-way disk mirror are indicated as being fine with no problems, and when I check system messages from bootup in the event log, there is only a four second gap between the first message that appears in the log at boot and the NTFS status message saying that volume D: is healthy with no action needed.

:)

NickJP, Oct 3, 2015
  2. NJPayne Win User

Disks in storage space thrash for a few minutes at every bootup/login

I'm using a storage space for a two-way mirror of two WD Black 4Tb drives as D: drive. C: is a completely separate 128Gb SSD, and the page file and TEMP folder are on a second SSD. I set the storage space up initially under Windows 8.1 Pro x64, and it
    worked without any problem, but after performing the in-place upgrade to Windows 10, I find that the machine becomes pretty much unusable for the first few minutes after bootup and login because the D: drive is at 100% utilisation, with average response time
    for D: (as shown by task manager) being up around several seconds. The I/O on the disk while this is happening is not high at all - a few Mb/sec is all that Task Manager shows for read and write speed on D:, which is only a few percent of the maximum throughput
    that the drive can support when running normally.

After a few minutes, whatever is thrashing the disk ceases and the storage space and disk mirror performs after that with no problems (i.e. on large sequential reads and writes I get around around 150-160Mb/sec). The PC is being shut down cleanly each time
    I power it off, so the mirrored disks should not be out of sync when it is started, which is the only reason I can think of (other than a bug) for why the disks are being thrashed in this manner. Any suggestions on what could be causing this, and how to prevent
    it?

p.s. I should add that when I check the storage space using Control Panel / Storage Spaces, both the storage pool and the two-way disk mirror are indicated as being fine with no problems, and when I check system messages from bootup in the event log, there
    is only a four second gap between the first message that appears in the system log at bootup and the NTFS status message saying that volume D: is healthy with no action needed.

NJPayne, Oct 3, 2015
  3. Disks in storage space thrash for a few minutes at every bootup/login

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

There can be several reasons which could be leading to 100% disk utilization. It can be either due to a process running in the background or an application.

I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

Method 1: Try Clean boot.

To disable all non-Microsoft services refer the article called
    Clean Boot.

Follow the steps from the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

(Steps for Windows 8.1 are also applicable in Windows 10)

Note:After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Method 2: Delete Cache from Temp and Prefetch.

1. Press Windows key + R to open the run command and type "%temp%". Click
    Enter.

2. Delete all the files from this folder. Press
    Ctrl + A
    and then Delete.

3. Now again press Windows key + R
    to open the run command and type "prefetch". Click Enter.

4. Delete all the files from this folder. Press Ctrl + A and then
    Delete.

Also follow the suggestions in the link below:

Task Manager might show 100% disk utilization on Windows 10 devices with Message Signaled Interrupt (MSI) mode enabled

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083595

Hope this helps. Please respond for further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 3, 2015
Thema:

Disk thrashing when using storage space

1. Disk thrashing when using storage space - Similar Threads - Disk thrashing using

2. Storage Spaces using Powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces using Powershell: Hi, I'm trying to use Storage Spaces. On Windows 11. I have 1 Samsung 500GB SSD Boot. I have 3 Samsung 500GB SSD's. For Storage Spaces. On a Pcie x16. I want to use Simple No Resiliency. RAID 0. I tried "Get-PhysicalDisk." It shows 5 drives. 4 Samsung SSD's and 1 Western...
  3. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  4. Storage Spaces won't use all disk space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces won't use all disk space: I have allocated 5 drives 3x 4TB HDD, 2x 8TB HDD to my storage space and created a simple pool on it. No redundancy While total disk space is 25.4 TB 3.63*3 + 7.27*2 and I've allocated all of it to my pool my programs fails to write anything more to the pool.It says no space...
  5. Storage Spaces with Boot Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces with Boot Disk: I have a new laptop with a single SSD on a PCIe controller, Win 10 Pro. That SSD is my boot drive. Can I add a second SSD of exactly the same model and size and create a mirror without data loss?It seems that a long time ago it was not possible but now might be different. I...
  6. Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces and Disk Management do not show Storage Space drives: I was using the non-SSD drives shown as a Storage Space. I can see them in Device Manager and if I use the Get-PhysicalDisk command, but I can't see them in Storage Spaces and Disk Management. It appears that two of the drives have failed, the ST3000DM001-1CH166 ATA Device...
  7. Storage and low disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage and low disk space: Hello, I have had this pc since Christmas and my disk space is low, so I switched default storage devices: start/settings/system/storage. But that did not work, can anyone help with this problem? Thanks....
  8. Windows Photo App thrashing Disk using Runtime Broker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Photo App thrashing Disk using Runtime Broker: More i'm posting just an answer as i can't find any other active threads to submit this. When i fist saw windows Photos i though cool and had it running, It does very limited editing and trys to 'watch' you photos to build meta-data, face recognition etc. I did not realise...
  9. Windows 10 hangs with disk thrashing

Windows 10 hangs with disk thrashing: Severall times a day my Windows 10 Home system stops responding. At the same time the disk light goes on solid. I know the CPU isn't locked up because the mouse pointer, an hour glass, still moves. But all app windows are inert. Sometimes the screen goes completely black...
  10. need more storage and disk space

need more storage and disk space: I am having trouble getting windows 10 downloaded becuz of not having enough space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-more-storage-and-disk-space/5eb28f2b-e81a-4093-8a24-2b60aaeac93f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HDD Being thrashed by MS Edge