Windows 10: Disk Usage 100% - to be expected?

Discus and support Disk Usage 100% - to be expected? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I just had a hassle with my machine moving like cold treacle. Task Manager said in 'processes' that disk was 50% But in 'performance' it said disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by abrogard, Nov 7, 2017.

1. abrogard Win User

Disk Usage 100% - to be expected?

I just had a hassle with my machine moving like cold treacle.

Task Manager said in 'processes' that disk was 50%
    But in 'performance' it said disk 0 - drives C: and E: - was 100%

There's also a 1T drive J but it didn't get a mention.

I stopped windows search and I tried to stop superfetch but it wouldn't stop.

I saw a couple of processes with enormous disk I/O - JoinMeAssistant Service and Micro Focus Compliance Enforcement daemon.

I stopped the JoinMe thing but it didn't seem to do any good.

So then I reset the virtual mem which was on automatic to recommended start at about 2G I think to my chosen max at 12G because I've got 8G ram on this box and about 250G free on the C: drive where I put the pagefile.

Then I rebooted and it was better but still not fixed and the Task Manager showed the disk still at 100%.

Got me worried enough to start writing this but now I see the Disk is down to 1%, the Micro Focus thing seems to have disappeared and the JoinMe has only made 9 I/O writes this session.

So I guess I could throw this query away but i won't. I'll just ask if all of the above seems perfectly natural and is there any software that would look after all that for me: notifying when something seems out of balance - and are there any clues or recommendations people have for me in order to tame my wild and woolly machine?

:)

abrogard, Nov 7, 2017
  2. Sheena xx Win User
    Sheena xx, Nov 7, 2017
  3. BSOD: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED

Before BSOD occur, my disk usage is 100% then suddenly it occur. It is not the case that every time when my disk usage is 100%, BSOD occurs.

RahulVerma2, Nov 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 7, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Hello there, @abrogard.

Is this a newly updated or installed 10? If so, I've noticed this is not unusual. It's working itself out with processes. It should calm down after some time.

Tony K, Nov 7, 2017
  6. abrogard Win User
    It is a recently recovered install. I have a bad hard drive there and have had numerous hassles with bad sectors. I'd copy it but Macrium reckoned it couldn't do it. So I've chkdsk'd it over and over and done a reinstall that doesn't delete data. Not too long ago.

But not yesterday. Maybe a month. You'd think it would be settled down now.

abrogard, Nov 7, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Pardon? You're relying on a failing drive?

Try downloading and running Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) to check that.

If it's bad, you need to buy another.

dalchina, Nov 7, 2017
  8. abrogard Win User

I know. It's insane isn't it?

I don't want to have to rebuild this setup. It's too humongous. Not the data. All the apps.

So I'm clinging on.

I did buy another drive and tried to copy but Macrium Reflect failed.

So I've got another computer that I'm slowly building up to where it'll have everything this has, as best as I can.

But right now this is the master. Top dog. *Smile

I've downloaded that thing and I'll see what it says. I downloaded the free DOS version, too. That might be the way to go.

A much later edited p.s. :

It might be worth mentioning that I downloaded Hard Disk Sentinel and ran it. It says my system disk is only 41% healthy !

Which sounds pretty shocking. But it says this is 'acceptable' ! Which sounds even more surprising to me.

It says all this:
    quote:
    There are 32 bad sectors on the disk surface. The contents of these sectors were moved to the spare area.
    The drive found 16 bad sectors during its self test.
    There are 16 weak sectors found on the disk surface. They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk.9154 errors occured during data transfer.
    At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
    unquote:

I don't know how authoritative that bit about warranty replacement is but if it is accurate I'm surprised and a tad shocked by it. Our warranties only cover disks to less than 40% health? i.e. a disk at 40% healthy is considered acceptable? Has no warranty recourse? Incredible.

Without ever having thought about it I would have assumed that something like 10% imperfect - a disk down to 90% healthy - would warrant replacement.

hmmm.

my system is stumbling on. little things like recently finding that yawcam and booru and tincam won't run are probably due to it, I think, but can't be sure...

abrogard, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk Usage 100% - to be expected? - Similar Threads - Disk Usage 100%

2. Disk Usage 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Usage 100%: My Disk usage is constantly at 100% I've dealt with this issue in the past by disabling some windows services but i don't recall all of them. Some of which I remember are windows search, windows update, SuperfetchSysMain. The fix that i had used seemed to work but was not...
  3. Disk Usage on 100%

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Usage on 100%: Disk usage stays on 100% on my Windows 10. The computer responses very slow. Tried solutions from google, none works. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-on-100/79303ad0-4995-4095-93b4-02b59b92bc6e
  4. 100% Disk Usage

100% Disk Usage: My laptop takes 100% in HDD memory when i have Windows SO, i install previous windows 8 and the problem still going on, i got this specifications: [ATTACH] And my task manager shows this: [ATTACH] thank you for your attention.....
  5. %100 Disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    %100 Disk usage: I have had this issue in the past and tried many different possible solutions but the only fix was to factory reset my PC. The issue recently came back after a year and I can’t seem to fix this issue. This has caused my gaming pc to almost be unusable. Other issues I have...
  6. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage: I reset my PC and disk usage its still on 100% I have tried everything that is on YouTube or other forums and nothing works. submitted by /u/Witeek13 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dxbr0g/100_disk_usage/
  7. Disk Usage 100%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Usage 100%: Hi, My desktop is running on Windows 10. How do I resolve DISK USAGE 100% as shown in Task Manager? It has made my PC unusable. It is too too slow. kf https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-100/5a00c0af-4c17-4297-8e60-8f024ae0875a"
  8. Disk 100% usage

Disk 100% usage: [ATTACH] I have 100% disk usage even tought i shouldn't, i can t fix this, someone help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-100-usage/bcd0e5ed-46a8-4bfc-a3f2-87f7067e42b1
  9. Disk usage is 100%

Disk usage is 100%: Disk usage is 100% resulting in computer being real slow. How do I fix this problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage-is-100/f94cae49-632c-4168-8aef-a0480ffe2569
  10. 100% disk usage

100% disk usage: i am using i7-7700hq processor laptop but still my laptop was loading slowly.when i checked my task manager it shows me my disk usage is 100%. so anybody help me to solve this problem...