Windows 10: Disk usage priority

Discus and support Disk usage priority in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10, almost up to date, on a powerful PC (32GB memory, 4-core/8-thread Xeon CPU). This is a PC that I use for demanding tasks like video... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BerndBausch, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Disk usage priority

Windows 10, almost up to date, on a powerful PC (32GB memory, 4-core/8-thread Xeon CPU).

This is a PC that I use for demanding tasks like video production or running several machines, and which I don't switch on that often. Whenever I turn it on, some component or the entire operating system updates itself, thereby monopolizing disk C. Today, for example, the disk is still 100% in use 15 or 20 minutes after starting up. Using Performance Monitor, I can see that the biggest disk users are threads that download Windows files. These threads belong to process 4, named "System".

Process Explorer allows me to set processes' priorities. This doesn't work, however, for the System process. I guess it's protected from tampering.

So my question is: How can I configure Windows system update processes so that they don't monopolize I/O and allow me to run other applications with acceptable performance?

:)

BerndBausch, Jul 13, 2018

2. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Glenn, we would like to check if you are still experiencing a high disk usage on your end, if yes, we would like to ask if you can try to follow the steps below for as a workaround:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings
    • Select System
    • Select Notification & actions
    • Then turn off all notification and check if disk usage would still get a high usage.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Jul 13, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Change Wireless Network Connection Priority Order in Windows 10

Hello Denis, Disk usage priority :)

The command in step 2 of Option Two should show your wireless networks listed in priority order. Top of the list is higher.

Brink, Jul 13, 2018
  4. Jose Est Win User

Disk usage priority

100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 13, 2018
Thema:

Disk usage priority

1. Disk usage priority - Similar Threads - Disk usage priority

2. Disk Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Usage: I think it's common now about 100% disk usage. I've tried literally everything. From just rebooting to cracking codes up the cmd, nothing worked.My laptop was recently resetted becsuse it was running super slow, and while it wasn't resetted, i could game with it for hours and...
  3. Disk usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk usage: Hi There, This Is Sami And It Has Been Around 6 Or 7 Month's That I'm Messing With This 100% Disk Usage And I Literally Did Everything To come Up With It's Fix In Sites! Searching About It, Doing Hundreds Of Things On My Laptop, Though None Of Them Worked And I Even Faced...
  4. Disk usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk usage: Laptop is not shut down overnight - when starting up in the morning Disk usage shows 98 to 100 % usage - lasts for approx. 10 min then back to normal https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage/89ec816c-cb1e-4ba8-b2b8-4061a6bc683b
  5. Disk usage

Disk usage: My windows version is 20H2. Hope that the screenshot is clear now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage/0f6d58a0-be3c-4c48-ac4b-be72c205bcd0
  6. Disk usage

Disk usage: Hello! Currently, my pc is experiencing high disk usage. I don't know what's causing it. I tried many command scans like"sfc /scannow", "DISM scans", "chkdsk" and also installed a software named Crystal Disk Info to check my disk health. Every report seems good to me but...
  7. Disk usage

Disk usage: hello anyone who answer this so i been having a problem with one of my HDD for about a month now where it would have %100 disk usage spike for a solid 10 to 15 secs at random moments with in a time spam of like 5mins to 6. with in that time it will spike. i have tried defrag,...
  8. Changing hard disk drive priority

Changing hard disk drive priority: Alright, so I have 2 SSD's in my computer, one Samsung and one off brand. When going into the BIOS boot menu I find that the number one prioritized hard drive is the so called "Windows Boot Manager" and the second one is the Samsung it says its full name. So the question is...
  9. disk Usage

disk Usage: its always stuck at 100%. Is there an app to help reduce disk usage or ways I can reduce it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-usage/7c5ba55b-24e4-4f9c-8515-d08ad48d20eb
  10. Disk usage

Disk usage: Hello, I Have been facing the "Disk Usage" issue from a long time i tried to reset the OS, still the problem exists. I have used several methods which are mentioned in internet and you tube. Yet the problem is not solved. If any one out there facing similar issue, let me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk usage priority