Windows 10: Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot

Discus and support Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I don't understand. I am in a Win PE, or in another kind of recovery tool with command line. I do: diskpart sel vol 1 assign... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pipppero2007, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot

Hello,

I don't understand.

I am in a Win PE, or in another kind of recovery tool with command line.

I do:

diskpart
    sel vol 1
    assign letter=z

now "Z" is assigned to a disk.

I REBOOT the computer and operate with another recovery tool (i.e. Macrium).

I go to the promt and that disk is still mounted with a letter (generally C*Smile.

But If I load a regular OS (Win 10) every letter is OK.

How the assigned letter of DISKPART "survive" if the assign is done OUTSIDE the OS?

:)

Pipppero2007, Aug 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 upgrade consistently fails at 24% (installing from USB created with the 'creation tool')

This is the best explication of rebuilding the BCD on an EFI system partition that I can find:

Back up your files or save a backup image of your install now.

Go into the Advanced options and run the Command Prompt.

Enter diskpart to use the DiskPart tool to ensure you have all the right partitions and to identify your EFI partition - the key thing here is that your EFI partition is formatted as FAT32:

Then assign a drive letter to the EFI partition:

Exit DiskPart tool by entering exit and at the command prompt run the following:

Delete or rename the BCD file:

Use bcdboot.exe to recreate BCD store:

The /f ALL parameter updates the BIOS settings including UEFI firmware/NVRAM, /l en-gb is to localise for UK/GB locale. The localisation defaults to US English, or use en-US.

Reboot and cross your fingers.

Source

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 19, 2017
  3. Error code after update File:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot BCD Error Code 0xc0000185 BSOD

Insert windows 10 bootable DVD or USB and go to installation.

• Choose 'Repair Your Computer'.
    • Choose 'Troubleshooting'.
    • Choose "Advanced Options'.
    • Next choose 'Command Prompt'.

Next, Use the
    DISKPART tool to verify that the UEFI partition has a drive letter assignment.

Enter 'DISKPART' (Enter)

(In this test case we removed all other drives except the boot HDD and DVD, so we know the disk 0 is our boot HDD)

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list vol

Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot [​IMG]

There was no drive letter assignment to our UEFI partition (volume 3) so you need to assign a drive letter.

DISKPART> sel vol 3

Volume 3 is the selected volume.

1-If you know that you have a extra drive letter available use it here, otherwise skip to 2.

DISKPART> assign letter=E:

2-If you are unsure what the drive chain is or if you don't know what drive letters are avalable use:

DISKPART> assign

If all went well, DiskPart successfully assigned the drive letter or mount point. You can verify that a drive letter was assigned by "DISKPART> list vol" again.

Exit DiskPart tool (Enter EXIT)

Next, we need to change to the boot folder on the UEFI volume.

Change to the UEFI volume into the boot folder. Use drive E: here or whatever drive letter was assigned above.

cd /d E:\Boot\

We need to enter three command lines to repair the BCD store.

For MBR drives: (Drives < 1TB)

• bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /fixmbr
    • bootrec /rebuildmbr
    For GPT drives: (Drives > 1TB)

• bootrec /fixboot
    • bootrec /rebuildbcd

-.[Final]#[Boss].-, Aug 19, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot

You can't. Each OS assigns drive letters when it loads. And recovery/rescue drives that load from USB or DVD typically don't even save drive letter assignments to the USB or DVD so if you have a different physical arrangement of the drives when you boot into them the drive letters might even change then even though you are using the same rescue/recovery OS.

NavyLCDR, Aug 19, 2017
  5. Weird. I was not ask if that is possible.
    I was ask WHY in my system they SURVIVE!!!
    Not in the win10 os, they survive in the various tool that i use (win pe, macrium, etc).
    Its so strange!!!

Pipppero2007, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot

1. Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot - Similar Threads - Diskpart assign letter

2. CMD crashed while assigning letter and now disk missing from DISKPART

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD crashed while assigning letter and now disk missing from DISKPART: My computer crashed while transferring files. I finally got into recovery and discovered they some how switched letters. So I switch the one labelled C to something else so I can put my boot drive back to C. for some reason this caused Comand prompt to hang and close. Upon...
  3. CMD crashed while assigning letter and now disk missing from DISKPART

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD crashed while assigning letter and now disk missing from DISKPART: My computer crashed while transferring files. I finally got into recovery and discovered they some how switched letters. So I switch the one labelled C to something else so I can put my boot drive back to C. for some reason this caused Comand prompt to hang and close. Upon...
  4. Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart: [Localization from this article: Manuelles Zuweisen eines Laufwerksbuchstaben mit CMD bzw. Diskpart - Microsoft Community]Technical Difficulty: ExpertApplies to: Windows 10 & 11In some cases, Windows will not assign a drive letter automatically to an inserted drive. For...
  5. Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart: [Localization from this article: Manuelles Zuweisen eines Laufwerksbuchstaben mit CMD bzw. Diskpart - Microsoft Community]Technical Difficulty: ExpertApplies to: Windows 10 & 11In some cases, Windows will not assign a drive letter automatically to an inserted drive. For...
  6. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  7. Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti: Hi there, This is the first time I have posted here. Hi there everyone. Windows Version Number: Windows 10 Pro - v 1909. My laptop has been experiencing a problem. At the root of this is a damaged parition table - but I have had to do more than this - and no OS can be...
  8. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  9. Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does the diskpart "assign letter" command carry over with the drive when it plugs into...: I have a series of drives plugged into my computer and I like them to mount as the same letters every time I reinstall my OS (for shortcut routing reasons and whatnot). I'd prefer not to set them in diskmgmt.msc every time. Do the assigned letters carry over to other...
  10. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. letter assign in diskpart not saved