Windows 10: Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

Discus and support Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that was created using Rufus so it has GPT partition table for UEFI setup. I want to put it back to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sportsfan148, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

Hi, I have a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive that was created using Rufus so it has GPT partition table for UEFI setup. I want to put it back to MBR partition style using Diskpart.
    In diskpart if I select the disk and then use the clean command does the disk go back to MBR by default? By that I mean when I type create partition primary will the MBR partition style be used automatically? I wondered if it might just create another GPT partition on the flash drive because that was the last partition style that was on the USB flash drive?

:)

sportsfan148, Jan 5, 2018

2. Can't install windows from usb flash drive

Hello ... I thought one can use Media Creation Tool to create a bootable windows 10 usb flash drive ? But for some reason when I try to install Windows its saying can't install on the selected drive because the drive is MBR and need to be GPT, Why does
    it need to be GPT ? And its on a SSD . When I try using Diskpart and try to convert it from MBR to GPT its saying no disk available but yet when I use List Disk it shows as Disk 2, so what gives? Thanks

WhoCares905, Jan 5, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Half Of 4TB External Hard drive Still Unallocated

Is the Drive an MBR Drive?

To be able to see the whole drive it needs to be converted to GPT

Do you have data on that drive that you need to keep?

If not:

Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator)

After typing each these commands, hit Enter:

Type diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk

(Make note of the disk number you want to convert)

At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>

At the DISKPART prompt, type clean

At the DISKPART prompt, type convert gpt

DaveM121, Jan 5, 2018
  4. AddRAM Win User

Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive

Why not just redo the stick using Rufus again and just set it up how you want it ?

I never install UEFI, there's no point.

AddRAM, Jan 5, 2018
  5. cereberus Win User
    Diskpart

clean

convert mbr

cereberus, Jan 5, 2018
  6. cereberus Win User
    OP has not said he/she wants to make drive bootable.

Anyway - lots of reasons to install UEFI.

cereberus, Jan 5, 2018
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Exactly. Just add convert mbr after the clean command.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2018
  8. AddRAM Win User

Not 1 good reason comes to mind.

4 partitions on a system 250/256 GB ssd is just ridiculous, but I don't want to get into that.

AddRAM, Jan 5, 2018
  9. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you never install UEFI...theres no point. Are you referring to the GPT partition that Rufus creates on the flash drive? If so..I know what you mean..its just what Rufus recommends with UEFI and Windows 10. Anyway, Ive decided I don't want to use Rufus or Media Creation Tool anymore so I'm learning how to use Diskpart and plan to stick to that method (after having problems with Media Creation Tool that Id never had until the Fall Creators Update and also a minor glitch after that with Rufus)

10. Sorry Cerberus I should have stated that I am using the USB flash drive as bootable Window 10 media but I want to start over on the USB using Diskpart but I want to change the USB from GPT back to MBR using Diskpart. I'm familiarising myself with the Diskpart procedure so I want to get used to it. Do your instructions..Diskpart, Clean, Convert MBR still apply bearing in mind I'm making a bootable Windows 10 USB flash drive?

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes they do. During the bootable drive creation procedure, just insert "convert mbr" after the clean command. Although I am 99% certain the clean command reverts the drive back to MBR automatically anyway. In diskpart, run the "list disk" command at any time and it will tell you which drives are GPT or not.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    Not everybody uses 250GB SSDs.

You get secure boot as well.

If users have large drives (>2.2 TB, you need to be using UEFI if drive has OS. In fact, if any drive is >2.2 TB, you need to make it GPT.

Just because you see no need for more than 4 Primary partitions, it depends if user decides to dual boot etc.

Your comment is only based on your personal needs and cannot be considered to apply to all cases.

cereberus, Jan 5, 2018
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

What really matters is if the OP wants a USB flash drive that is MBR partitioned, FAT32, and marked as active so it is universal and can be booted in either UEFI or legacy BIOS mode, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Or even if the OP doesn't want it to be bootable and just wants it to be MBR partitioned, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And if the OP wants to use diskpart to do it with, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Maybe we should focus on helping people achieve their desired outcomes.

Maybe a warning that converting a drive from GPT to MBR (or MBR to GPT) using diskpart will erase whatever is on that drive might be appropriate, but I think the OP already knows that in this case.

NavyLCDR, Jan 5, 2018
  14. Thanks for clarifying that for me Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive :)

15. Yeah..You're right...I knew that everything will be wiped from the drive Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive :) If I'm correct the clean command would have wiped the drive completely. Then, the convert mbr creates the MBR partition table

Thema:

1. Diskpart question-convert from GPT to MBR on a flash drive - Similar Threads - Diskpart question convert

2. how to convert drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to convert drive from mbr to gpt: how to convert drive from mbr to gpt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f581c706-6111-47b8-ac9d-41dff4277bcd
  3. how to convert drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to convert drive from mbr to gpt: how to convert drive from mbr to gpt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-convert-drive-from-mbr-to-gpt/f581c706-6111-47b8-ac9d-41dff4277bcd
  4. how to convert drive from mbr to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Convert MBR to GPT!

Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  6. Convert MBR to GPT!

Convert MBR to GPT!: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,Which is the best way to convert MBR to GPT without data loss and without being Windows boot logo stretched. If you don't know what I am talking about, see this thread:...
  7. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  8. Convert GPT to MBR

Convert GPT to MBR: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,I want to convert GPT to MBR without data loss. Should I do using AOMEI partition assistant? Is it safe? Will it loss data? Will it damage HDD? Please give answer in detail....
  9. Convert GPT to MBR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.

Converting a hard drive from GPT to MBR.: I want to convert my GPT hard drive to mbr. I'm using a bootable USB ISO. Just one OS (Windows 10 - 20H2). I have followed these instructions and they seem to have worked (when I reopen the command prompt the mark under gpt disappears). Problem is once Windows install and I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert UEFI drive to a MBR drive using diskpart

2. diskpart bootable flash drive convert mbr

3. convert flash drive to mbr

4. change flash drive partition table from gpt to mbr