Windows 10: Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes

Discus and support Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I've come across a weird problem that I'd like to share with you: under certain circumstances, Diskpart and some other programs don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Jaap Verhage, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes

Hello everyone,

I've come across a weird problem that I'd like to share with you: under certain circumstances, Diskpart and some other programs don't report the correct capacity of a hard disk.

The disk in question is a new 4 TB, or 3.64 TiB (3762 GiB), Seagate BarraCuda, initalized as a GPT disk with one partition, covering the whole of the disk. I'm using it as a data disk, D:, in an Optiplex 330 PC, running 32-bits Windows 10-1830.

What happens when I boot the PC normally, is that Diskpart reports a disk size of 1678 GiB, containing one partition of 3762 GiB. Come again? Yes, that's right: the partition is more than twice the size of the disk it's on. Two partition manipulating programs, Minitool Partition Wizard and AOMei Partition Assistant, both see the disk as having a size of 1678 GiB, and one partition of the same size. So they partly agree with Diskpart. Minitool as well as AOMei report way too few cylinders and physical sectors, which might explain where they get their sizes from - or the other way around. The number of cylinders reported is 219051, whereas it shoud be 486401; the mumber of physical sectors reported is 3519069872, which should be 7814037168.
    However, Disk Management, Chkdsk and Explorer all agree that the disk and its partition are 3762 GiB.

It gets stranger. If I boot the Optiplex with a Win 10-1709 recovery USB, made on the Optiplex some time ago, all programs agree that the disk and its partition have a size of 3762 GiB, with the correct number of cylinders and physical sectors. If I connect the disk to a USB port of the Optiplex or another PC via a docking station, I get the same results. If I put the disk in another PC as drive D: , all programs agree as well: 3762 GiB, nothing wrong.

So what is going on here? Nothing seems wrong with the disk or with the Optiplex's SATA controller, as the disk is read correctly when booting with a recovery USB. It's as if there is some wrong information floating around in a hidden corner of Windows, which rears its ugly head whenever the disk in question is hooked up.

Maybe it's nothing, but I don't like discrepancies like these - they make me distrust my hardware. It's like there's a ticking time bomb that can go off any minute, making the disk unreadable. So I'd like to correct it! What I've already tried, is:
    - wiping the disk clean with Diskpart and re-partitioning it;
    - cloning the disk (sector-by-sector copy) from a known good identical twin in a docking station.
    Neither attempt had any effect, which strengthens my idea that it's not the disk that's at fault here. But then, what is? And how do I put things right?

Any ideas on how to go about this will be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Jaap.

:)

Jaap Verhage, Jun 15, 2018

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jun 16, 2018
  3. DISKPART says "Virtual Disk Service error: The disk's extent information is corrupted" ? Which disk is "The disk's"? How to fix this?

I had to reinstall Windows 10, and since I did that I can't re-create a RAID-1 mirror on two identical disks.

It doesn't matter if I used the GUI Disk Manager or the command line
    DISKPART, so I'll post the command line version here

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.16299.15

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: ARES

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 111 GB 0 B

Disk 1 Online 5589 GB 9 GB * *

Disk 2 Online 5589 GB 5588 GB * *

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 D 5.45TB NTFS Simple 5579 GB Healthy

Volume 1 System Rese NTFS Partition 350 MB Healthy System

Volume 2 C NTFS Partition 111 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 3 NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden

DISKPART> select volume 0

Volume 0 is the selected volume.

DISKPART> add disk =2

Virtual Disk Service error:

The disk's extent information is corrupted.

DiskPart has referenced an object which is not up-to-date.

Refresh the object by using the RESCAN command.

If the problem persists exit DiskPart, then restart DiskPart or restart the

computer.

Attempts to get an answer from Microsoft for this have met with:

- reinstall Windows - didn't fix it from a clean USB-based install;

- in-place update ("I promise this will fix it") - didn't fix it

I've been using Windows for 30 years and I've never had this problem. It's clear nobody at Microsoft seems able to help....!

BrianButterworth, Jun 16, 2018
  4. Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes

Disk showing in Disk Management, But not DiskPart

Hello!

So, today I was doing a friend a favor, he had an old 1TB hard drive with important photos on it. He said he would appreciate it if I could move the photos to a different hard drive.

So, I hooked it up to my self-built PC (with a SATA port) and it didn't show up in file explorer.

So, I checked Disk Management to see if it would show up there, and it did. I later realized why it didn't show up in file explorer (Because it didn't have a drive letter). In Disk Management, I right clicked the primary partition only to find that it wouldn't
    let me assign a drive letter.

I remembered there was another way to assign drive letters, with DiskPart. So I typed this into Command Prompt:

diskpart > list volume

In DiskPart, It showed the drive's EFI system partition (partition 1) but not the (Healthy) Primary Partition (partition 2).

Also in DiskPart, I could type "list disk" and it would show me the 1TB drive, if I then typed "list partition" it would show me the different partitions, but wouldn't let me assign a drive letter to them.

In summary, Disk Management showed the partition, but wouldn't assign a drive letter. DiskPart showed the partition 1, but not the primary partition.

My objective is to show the photos located on the 1TB drive's 2nd partition without erasing it.

I would be happy to add pictures if necessary.

Thanks!

John-Louis Barton, Jun 16, 2018
Thema:

Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes

1. Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes - Similar Threads - Diskpart seems confused

2. "Size" VS "Size On Disk"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Size" VS "Size On Disk": One Drive is suppose to have 1TB storage. When i check "Properties" on it, it says the following: "Size" = 40GB On my backup it says "size on disk" = 218 MB and my other backup says "size on disk" = 4 KB. But when I check my Memory Stick I get a logical answer: 8GB used, 25GB...
  3. Disk Size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Size: I have an 8 TB WD external hard drive. I am using it plugged in to my router, like a "poor man's NAS" I guess. My router recognizes it as an 8 TB drive. I can plug it directly into the USB of any of my Windows 10 machines and Windows sees it as an 8 TB drive. However, when...
  4. Size and Size on disk

Size and Size on disk: Hi this is what I see on Pictures property folder: [ATTACH] How come? could it be that 75GB take only 2.2GB on disk or is it the other way around?... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/size-and-size-on-disk/04a4374b-f0b9-4eac-b4b6-3b68373c3330
  5. diskpart doesn't show disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    diskpart doesn't show disk: Hey, I am trying to install Win10 on a mac book air. However the diskpart does not list the disk even after reformatting the partition as NTFS per suggestion. read through this solution but cannot move to step 1 listed in the solution by Ivan as that disk doesn't see...
  6. Disk Management confusion

Disk Management confusion: Hey guys, So i was trying to use dual OS on my computer when i came across the disk management page when many doubts came to me. In "This PC" i can see Local Disk C: 106Gb, Local Disk E: 107Gb, Local Disk F: 78Gb. In the disk management i can see the above 3 and System...
  7. "The disk is write protected" in Windows 10 Diskpart says "Read only : No"

"The disk is write protected" in Windows 10 Diskpart says "Read only : No": I have experienced something weird with my two latest Windows 10 installations. They both suddenly became "write protected". There's no common fix to this problem. My problem is local on my computer. All my physical hard drives has the term "online" on and none of them has...
  8. Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Removable USB Drive Showing as Read only in Disk Management but not in DiskPart: So about a year ago I made this drive into a recovery drive. However, the last time my computer had an issue that would require this drive, it didn't show up as a recovery drive when plugged in. I have decided that I would like to reuse this drive however when I attempted to...
  9. Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart

Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart: Good day and happy new year. Whenever I create a partition (primary MBR) with diskpart (75GB appears as 74,9GB under Windows Explorer). Why is this? Command used was create partition primary size=76800 124562
  10. W10 Diskpart/disk list

W10 Diskpart/disk list: Hi to all and thank you to Spunk and Navy LCDR - Issue almost resolved from your help. I have just installed, in my notebook an old SSD EVO 850 Samsung as a 'second' separate SSD to use for a back-up. When I try to use Diskpart to clean this SSD I encounter a hitch....