Windows 10: DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance.

Discus and support DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've hit quite a snag here.I booted from WINPE5.1 and ran DISM and captured a Windows 10 golden instance image and the UEFI System Partition (what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cosmos, Sep 19, 2017.

1. cosmos Win User

DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance.

I've hit quite a snag here.I booted from WINPE5.1 and ran DISM and captured a Windows 10 golden instance image and the UEFI System Partition (what I traditionally knew as system partition) saved to external hard drive. It seems that I did not image the Microsost Reserved Partition (MSR) and I proceeded to run diskpart and clean disk 0.

I then applied Windows .WIM to primary parititon created in disk part, and the system .WIM to the primary partition labed System. I then set this system partition as active.

Windows will not boot. What steps am I missing? In reading these articles it seems that I should have included the MSR partition and set the primary partition I created as a GPT partition--something I did not do.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc765951(v=ws.10).aspxhttps://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh304353(v=ws.10).aspx

Obviously
    , I'm missing a lot of steps given that imaging for UEFI system is not as straight-forward as for MBR. I still have a good windows .WIM file (I think). Is there a way I can create the necessary system and MSR partition so I can boot to windows from my .WIM?

In general, how should I go about imaging and deploying a Windows 10 image in UEFI system? Instructions on the internet are all over the place. Switching to legacy BIOS to boot is not an option. It also seems like a lot of work just to use .WIMs (file based) over sector based imaging. There has to be a benefit to doing it this way, right?

Please help.

:)

cosmos, Sep 19, 2017
  2. Trybird Win User

Cannot restore the system image

Hi,

If previously in Windows Recovery Environment you had already used dism /Capture-Image command to capture the images of your laptop's hard disk partitions into your external hard drive as backups before formatting, now you can apply these images (.wim) files
    to your laptop again, namely
    enter Windows Recovery Environment from a booting Windows installation media (like Windows installation disc)
    , then use
    dism /Apply-Image command to apply the images to your laptop's formatted hard disk partitions.

For more information about dism /Apply-Image command's options and its arguments, please specify an option immediately before /?.

e.g.

dism /Apply-Image /?

Please refer to
    here

Good luck.

Trybird, Sep 19, 2017
  3. carsonmcm Win User
    DISM error 87 version 10

I am trying to apply an image using the DISM tool but am constantly getting error 87. I am capturing a Windows 10 image using the Windows 10 PE and was able to apply the image once before. Any reason why I may not be able to get it working now?

carsonmcm, Sep 19, 2017
Thema:

DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance.

1. DISM capture and apply WIN10 image failure. Need guidance. - Similar Threads - DISM capture apply

2. Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors: Hello everyone,Im trying to apply install.wim to partition x: which is ntfs. But nothing happens. This is the command Ive used and the log entries.DISM DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism /apply-image:C:\Users\Musa.Semi\Desktop\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:X:\DISM DISM...
  3. Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dism doesnt apply image to partition, 2 errors: Hello everyone,Im trying to apply install.wim to partition x: which is ntfs. But nothing happens. This is the command Ive used and the log entries.DISM DISM.EXE: Executing command line: dism /apply-image:C:\Users\Musa.Semi\Desktop\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:X:\DISM DISM...
  4. Capture image with DISM and /verify error 80

in Windows 10 Support
    Capture image with DISM and /verify error 80: Hi folks using DISM command to capture a windows WIM image from my current system using DISM from latest Windows build ISO it errors out if you run this command Please folks how do we get rid of those damn Smiley's when typing code !!!!!!!!! (D is current Windows disk, C is...
  5. DISM image capture missing files after copy

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM image capture missing files after copy: We are having a strange problem taking an image from a VM to deploy on PCs. We have done it this way for a couple years without issue but this round seems to be acting odd. I boot into the VM with Windows PE, run DISM /image-capture etc, save the WIM, life is good. I can...
  6. Access Denied when using DISM to apply image

Access Denied when using DISM to apply image: I am trying to migrate to a larger M.2 Drive in my Dell Laptop. I created a 64Bit WinPE USB drive, booted to that drive, used DISM to capture WIM files of the smaller M.2 drive. I then swapped out the M.2 Drive, booted to the USB drive, Created the partitions, tried to...
  7. Need guidance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need guidance: My sister needs a program that will let her make a burnable dvd/cd for a birthday present. I have absolutely NO experience in this field of things so I figured I would ask here. This program should be able to import and string together .jpgs, some video clips, music files...
  8. Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Using Dism to capture and apply windows 10 images to a partition: Hi guys, so a few days ago my windows 10 crashed so I had to format and reinstall windows 7 then upgrade to windows 10, a hard work to do. So I started to search about how to capture the image of C: where the windows 10 is running and I found Dism. Now I have a lot of...
  9. creating usb pen for dism apply-image

creating usb pen for dism apply-image: I have managed to create a USB pen drive to apply WIM images using the DISM Apply-image command in 64bit so I know it can be done but any ideas how to create a pen to apply 32bit WIM images 24718
  10. Dism /Apply-Image and remove the entire content of the directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Dism /Apply-Image and remove the entire content of the directory: Hi I installed Windows ADK 10 v1511 on Windows 10 v1511 Enterprise 64 bit. I typed the following commands: Code: Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"<wim_File_Path>\install.wim" /Index:1 /ApplyDir:"<Apply_Directory_Path>" /Verify /CheckIntegrity Dism /Capture-Image...