Windows 10: :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

Discus and support :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I was having some issues with Cortana on the recently released windows 10, so decided to run a SFC /Scan Now and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Steve Deacon, Aug 5, 2015.

1. :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

I was having some issues with Cortana on the recently released windows 10, so decided to run a SFC /Scan Now and DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth.

DISM Failed with

"Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log"

The log is here: dism.log - Box

I could not understand the errors, only that it can't seem to find the source and google searching has gotten me no where fast.

SFC Fails with:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix someof them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios."

Again I have had no luck in finding a fix.

CBS log is here: CBS.log - Box

Have tried mounting an image of win 10 and pointing DISM to it using

C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.10240.16384

Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384

[==========================100.0%================== ========]

Error: 0x800f081f

Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.

but as you can see the same issue occurred

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

:)

Steve Deacon, Aug 5, 2015
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Security Audit Failure after Surface Pro 3 Windows 10 upgrade

Hi,

If you are getting this error code 0x800f081f. I would suggest you to try the steps provided in the thread mentioned below and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC
    (Failed to Repair)

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Aug 5, 2015
  4. grafcable Win User

:( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

Have the same problem on Windows 10

grafcable, Aug 23, 2015
  5. I am also having the same error message (0x800f081f) after running sfc /scannow on Windows 10. In my case, it's not because of any issue with Cortana, but just a routine check to see if the upgrade to Windows 10 I just made two days ago was working fine.

I have already tried the following, but to no avail:
    -dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
    -sfc /scannow
    -dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    -sfc /scannow

One thing I realized I forgot though is to configure Group Policy for feature On demand. Right now, I am in the middle of running "chkdsk C: /R" and when it's over I will configure group Policy for feature On demand. Then, I will run the aforementioned command lines again and see if I'll come up with a better outcome this time around. I'll post back to let you Know.

IronZorg89, Aug 23, 2015
  6. No luck with my proposed attempt (above). I have tried it many times and it didn't work. I even tried this famous (or not so famous) command line:
    "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess"

where I replaced E by the letter of the DVD drive containing the .iso file used to do the initial install of Windows 10. No success there either. I am getting really aggravated and frustrated. My only hope is to try to follow the instructions written by Brink the forum's administrator on July 04, 2015: DISM-Repair Windows 10 image.

IronZorg89, Aug 24, 2015
  7. LittleJay Win User
    What repaired the component store corruption for me was using a W10 ISO to create a bootable flash drive and then running an in place upgrade from within my W10 installation. It saves all your installed programs and files, but you will need to redo any Windows updates.

LittleJay, Aug 24, 2015
  8. :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair)

Appears to be a bug. I got it to work by pointing DISM to the install.wim file in the ISO.

cyberrufus, Aug 24, 2015
  9. Kyhi Win User
  10. Hi Brink,

Your tutorial regarding this error (see title) is wonderfully written and I give you two thumbs up, but so far no joy for me. I have tried everything in your tutorial from running all the steps suggested as much in an elevated Command Prompt as in PowerShell to no avail. I have attached the "sfcdetails.text" file for you to check out and see if you can come up with any valid suggestions with regard to my case.

I am a little bit hesitant to refresh Windows 10 since I have lots of applications and it will be mind-boggling to reinstall all of them. Below you have either a screenshot or a copy/paste of all the steps I have tried so far:

A-DISM CLEANUP-IMAGE TOOL IN POWERSHELL

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth
    Path :
    Online : False
    ImageHealthState : Repairable
    RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -ScanHealth
    Path :
    Online : False
    ImageHealthState : Repairable
    RestartNeeded : False

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
    Repair-WindowsImage : The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store
    cannot be repaired.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (*Smile [Repair-WindowsImage], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.RepairWindowsImageCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

[==========================100.0%==========================]
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more informat
    ion on specifying a source location, see Configure a Windows Repair Source.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

B-REPAIRING WINDOWS 10 IMAGE USING DISM:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    The component store is repairable.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32> Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    The component store is repairable.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
    Configure a Windows Repair Source.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:E:\so
    urces\install.wim:1 /limitaccess
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required t
    o restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
    Configure a Windows Repair Source.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

:( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair) [​IMG]

I am really hoping that you can have a look at my case. Thanks.

IronZorg89, Aug 25, 2015
  11. In response to LittleJay,

I am glad your approach worked out and I am definitely going to try it. I have seen the same approach in other forums and it seems to resolve the issue for anyone willing to give it a go.

IronZorg89, Aug 25, 2015
  12. *chuckle*Smile*Biggrin*Wink
    Yes I did it and it worked. No refresh, no clean install. Upgrading Windows 10 within Windows 10 made the infamous error: 0x800f081f go away. One word of caution though is to use a brand new downloaded Media Creation tool from Microsoft's site in order to create the Windows.iso file and then burn it to a DVD. I also think it is a good idea to use Windows' own integrated burning tool and not a third party app. That can be done right after the creation of the Windows.iso file while one is still in the dialog box asking to burn the .iso image now.

This is the result of sfc /scannow after the in place upgrade within Windows 10:

:( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair) [​IMG]

IronZorg89, Aug 25, 2015
  13. valenti Win User

May you give it some noob explanation of how to do this? I am pretty desperate...
    Also, as i have a SSD for Windows installation and HDD for data, and I have made some junctions and user folders relocations, are these going to be remained? What about the windows settings (page file on HDD, windows temp etc)?

Thank you in advance!

valenti, Sep 5, 2015
  14. Doverboy Win User
    Thank you everyone for your hard work on this fix. I, too, had a heck of a time chasing down corruption problem. Downloading latest MS iso file and creating a DVD worked perfectly. All applications, folders and settings remained intact, clean sfc scannow and DISM working properly. Much faster than running sfc and dism checks over and over...

Doverboy, Oct 11, 2015
  15. corrinnem Win User
    Hi, I upgraded for free in July and about 5 weeks after I started getting bizarre grey screen at login. i have found many fixes here and there, but, being somewhat low tech (at least compared to computer techs), I did not want to play around with more complicated fixes when I winnowed everything down to my "final" error in the DISM which is exactly as you report it. Here is what, somewhat incredibly, cleared it up and it's super easy. I ran the windows trouble-shooter updater 2 different times from IE and Edge and then ran these two commands, per suggestions on another forum, in order: Try these in order---

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow

After the first updater troubleshooter, it fixed some files, but still same message, after second, 100% successful-no errors. I may have just gotten lucky, but my logic was that if WU troubleshooter could find errors every time (and it, too, is presumably being updated) and if somehow the browser it is run on makes a difference, then maybe enough repairs would fix the problem of the moment (until hopefully all these many bugs can be worked out!)

corrinnem, Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

1. :( DISM (Error 0x800f081f) and SFC (Failed to Repair) - Similar Threads - DISM Error 0x800f081f

2. DISM fails 0x800f081f

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM fails 0x800f081f: DISM fails 0x800f081fEdition Windows 11 Pro Version 23H2 Installed on ‎23/‎02/‎2024 OS build 22631.3155 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22684.1000.0 Issue: 100% Disk Usage POST Clean BootContinual. Start menu no longer supports search functionA full Wipe and...
  3. DISM fails 0x800f081f

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM fails 0x800f081f: DISM fails 0x800f081fEdition Windows 11 Pro Version 23H2 Installed on ‎23/‎02/‎2024 OS build 22631.3155 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22684.1000.0 Issue: 100% Disk Usage POST Clean BootContinual. Start menu no longer supports search functionA full Wipe and...
  4. SFC Failed to Repair and DISM shows error 0x800f081f in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    SFC Failed to Repair and DISM shows error 0x800f081f in Windows 10: [ATTACH]One of our readers had an issue in the forum where he reported two […] This article SFC Failed to Repair and DISM shows error 0x800f081f in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Dism error: 0x800f081f

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dism error: 0x800f081f: I used Dism "C:\>dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /restorehealth /scratchdir:c:\scratch" to repair a Win10 system in a PE environment, and received an error 0x800f081f, stating that "[t]he source files could not be found". Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks in...
  6. dism fails to fix corruption with 0x800f081f error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dism fails to fix corruption with 0x800f081f error: Background: HP ENVY Desktop 750-514 running Windows 10 build 17134.112 System has experienced some problems in the past but I was able to fix them with DISM. Current Problem: Windows update KB4338819 runs and results in a stopcode of 0xc000021a. Automatic Repair does not...
  7. Error: 0x800f081f when running DISM to repair SFC-Problems

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error: 0x800f081f when running DISM to repair SFC-Problems: I've been trying to repair an error which system file checker gives me, however no matter what I try as it seems, I can't get windows to fix it. So it begins with sfc /scannow, and when I create the log file, I find this: 2015-08-14 18:45:52, Info CSI 00002bac [SR]...
  8. 0x800f081f Got error in SFC & DISM too in build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    0x800f081f Got error in SFC & DISM too in build 10240: i did these all scans but nothing worked im getting this error 0x800f081f does anyone had it tooo?? pls help .. *Huh "dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth & DISM /Online...
  9. DISM RestoreHealth failing with Error: 0x800f081f

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM RestoreHealth failing with Error: 0x800f081f: Hi, I'm trying to use DISM to repair a corrupt file and the command keeps failing with Code: Error: 0x800f081fThe source files could not be found.Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information...
  10. "Error (0x800F081F) - DISM Unable to find source" & "sfc /scannow"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Error (0x800F081F) - DISM Unable to find source" & "sfc /scannow": I have upgraded 5 machines and clean installed 3 machines. Experienced an issue with one machine with continuous corruption problems After the 3rd attempt I discovered that even with a Clean Install of Win 10 I get unrepairable errors - Sorry I don't have screen...
Tags: