Windows 10: DISM Error: 6701...

Discus and support DISM Error: 6701... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The system is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bits v.1709 (OS Build 16299.309). I've attempted to cleanup the image with DISM, since the WinSxS folder is close to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Cr00zng Win User

DISM Error: 6701...

The system is Windows 10 Pro, 64-bits v.1709 (OS Build 16299.309). I've attempted to cleanup the image with DISM, since the WinSxS folder is close to 8GBs. Issued the command below as admin:

Code: Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup[/quote]
    This resulted in the following error:

DISM Error: 6701... [​IMG]

Doing the same in Power Shell results in the same error. The "sfc /scannow" comes up clean.

I am not certain, if the latest update responsible for this or not, but seem to recall that last month the same command had ran with no issues.

Anyone has an idea how to fix this error?

TIA...

:)

Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018

2. W10 Install: What Needs Your Attention, White Box

I'm using Windows 8.1, upgrading to 10.

I get a similar error when I click the "upgrade" button:

CrispinBurke, Mar 17, 2018
  3. How to enable bitlocker for every drive

See it. I only can for C: drive. But I have total 6 drives. I want this feature for every drive.

Nazmus Shakib Khan, Mar 17, 2018
  4. Barman58 Win User

No idea how to fix the error, but I did a little digging and actually found an entry online that supposedly gives possible causes for the error

error code 6701 Coopoint

Hopefully that may give you a starting point *Smile

Barman58, Mar 17, 2018
  5. Cr00zng Win User
    Thanks Barman...

That link probably refers to the same error as stated in my CBS log:

The recommended solutions are really generic and does not give me much to start with. By no means that the system could not have some malware, certainly it could even if it is doubtful. Sunday is my offline scan of the system that should answer that question...

In the meantime, checked the image health:

*Smile *Wink

It pretty much cuts out after 20% and gives me the green light. I really don't know what to think of this...

The system left unattended for for couple of hours, before the above commands ran. During this time the scheduler did run a maintenance of the system a couple of times. It's evident in the dism.log and the errors no longer show up. Maybe the the maintenance script fixed it?

The other change to this system that might cause issues with the DISM is Macrium Reflect. More accurately, having the "Recovery Boot Menu Option" enabled, that changed the boot option. This option has its own wim startup image, that can be selected at the time Windows starting. The Reflect wim is pretty much the same as booting to a Reflect created bootable USB drive. The intent of the option to provide recovery environment to restore Windows boot record, restore and/or backup images.

Based on the log entry in the dism.log file, The last time DISM ran successfully was on "2018-03-07 19:05:26". And yes, before the March update applied, but after Reflect option had been added....

I really don't know what to do with this...

Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018
  6. KCR
    KCR Win User
    Same as mine. . . *Huh

7. Lottiemansion, Mar 17, 2018
  8. Cr00zng Win User

I am not certain, if that's a good thing, or not... Do you have DCOM errors in your event viewer like this on?

Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018
  9. Cr00zng Win User
    I'll probably end up doing that, but I'm hesitant to go on that route at this moment; the repair install/upgrade is a hit or miss in my experience.

So far the following steps were taken.

Removed Macrium Reflect "Recovery Boot Menu Option", that did not resolve the issue with DISM.
    Uninstalled KB4090914, installed on 3/14 and that hosed the system. After reboot, the system could not get to the login window, just kept spinning its wheel. After about 30 minutes, just hit the reset and system did the same upon booting. Booted to Reflect USB recovery drive and restored the drive from backup image. Having a daily image backup comes handy at times... *Wink

Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018
  10. Callender Win User
    In that case consider using DISM++ to clean up WINSXS.

Callender, Mar 17, 2018
  11. Cr00zng Win User
    Well, the DISM++ scanned the system and stated:

If that the case, why does the MS DISM fail?

Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018
  12. Callender Win User
    I reckon it fails because there is nothing to clean up.

Callender, Mar 17, 2018
  13. Cr00zng Win User

While DISM++ did not directly resolve the issue with MS DISM, but one of the feature in DISM++ did.

The feature in question is the "Control Panel\Update" that has found KB4090007 as missing update:

I don't know why Windows update did not install this patch; maybe because generally the update disabled on the system and enabled after the dust settled with the next month update. Either way, DISM++ installed and after rebooting the system, the MS DISM completed without error:

Thanks Callender for your tip for resolving this issue...

Cr00zng, Mar 17, 2018
  14. EdTittel Win User
    EdTittel, Mar 17, 2018
  15. Cr00zng Win User
    I did glance at the link for KB4090007 when it had been released. In a nutshell, this is an Intel microcode update for the Skylake to Coffee Lake CPUs for Spectre. The system in question has Ivy Bridge CPU that was not listed in the KB and patch was not installed. On the other hand, the Ivy Bridge CPU is evidently 6th generation CPU:

The patch installed on 03.18.18, but does not protect against the intended Spectre vulnerability:

But it did fix the DISM error for the Ivy Bridge system. In addition, this patch also fixed the very same DISM error on a Coffee Lake system. Why and how, I don't question, just glad it did...

Cr00zng, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. DISM Error: 6701... - Similar Threads - DISM Error 6701

2. DISM Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM Error: I am trying to update my Windows os window 11 home but it keeps failing giving error code 0x80070003. I have followed multiple guides online run trouble shooter, clean system update folder etc etc I'm now trying the DISM fix but when running it fails and say error 3 specified...
  3. DISM Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM Error: I am trying to update my Windows os window 11 home but it keeps failing giving error code 0x80070003. I have followed multiple guides online run trouble shooter, clean system update folder etc etc I'm now trying the DISM fix but when running it fails and say error 3 specified...
  4. dism error install.esd bad understand with dism error log :...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    dism error install.esd bad understand with dism error log :...: hello,dism error install.esd bad understand with dism error log : '''[C:\ESD\Windows\sources\install.esd] is not recognized by the DISM FFU provider,'''this line of command works without problem and is the same path : '''Dism /Get-ImageInfo...
  5. DISM errors

DISM errors: my pc is not working well so I decided to reset my pc but an error Occur saying can't reset so I check system files using sfc / scannow CMD and Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the...
  6. Dism Error

Dism Error: Hi, i need help with this, I have an Acer swift 314, when I run sfc /scan now, it says :Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located atwindir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For...
  7. DISM ERROR

DISM ERROR: Hi, i did an sfc /scannow and got an error saying some components cant be fixed. So i did a Dism check health and scan health, both said there are no errors. Then i did a dism restorehealth but the operation is completed at 84.9%. Please help i am experiencing a lot of issues...
  8. dism error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dism error: so i had upgraded my ram lately which was giving me Bsod error.when i gave to technician he tested the ram and my laptop and he said my windows software was affected .so i decided to do dism check and using 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth' in cmd it showed messange...
  9. DISM error

DISM error: My laptop had a lot of corrupted files after I accidentally switched off the wrong switch. I ran DISM restore health, the following was returned. C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version:...
  10. DISM Error

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM Error: Win 10 Pro x64 1709 Error After using Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth Any tips? Stops at 85% And i Have Windows Update Service Enabled. I attached DISM Log, ty. 132539