Windows 10: DISM only works with ISO Image

Discus and support DISM only works with ISO Image in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a Dell XPS 8700 with a clean install of WIN10 that has been running without errors since early August. Yesterday I decided to run SFC /scannow... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SoFine409, Oct 25, 2015.

1. SoFine409 Win User

DISM only works with ISO Image

I have a Dell XPS 8700 with a clean install of WIN10 that has been running without errors since early August. Yesterday I decided to run SFC /scannow to see if everything was OK. It reported that the file "Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1" needed to be fixed but ultimately unable to repair it. Then, as others have done, I tried using DISM to access install.esd on a Media Creation Tool on a USB drive. No joy, experienced the same error with DISM as others have had: "Error: 0x800f081f The source file could not be found."

Next I tried creating a new Media Installation Tool using a fresh download but the error repeated. I also tried copying install.esd to a local disk and still the same error. Very frustrating.

Then I opened "Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.psd1"with Notepad and I found that it was empty! I opened a copy of the file on another PC with no errors and found:
    @{
    GUID="56D66100-99A0-4FFC-A12D-EEE9A6718AEF"
    Author="Microsoft Corporation"
    CompanyName="Microsoft Corporation"
    Copyright="© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."
    ModuleVersion="3.0.0.0"
    PowerShellVersion="3.0"
    CLRVersion="4.0"
    CmdletsToExport="Start-Transcript", "Stop-Transcript"
    NestedModules="Microsoft.PowerShell.ConsoleHost.dll"
    HelpInfoURI = 'http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=390784'
    }

Simply copying the good file to the problem PC did not result in a clean SFC scan. Next I went back through my backup images until I found a copy of the file that wasn't empty. This image was made in an early August immediately after a clean install. Very strange.

Finally I downloaded the correct WIn10 ISO file, mounted it and then copied "install.wim" to a local hard disc. DISM ran with no problems and corrected the file error. Who knew there would be a functional difference between the esd and wim versions.

:)

SoFine409, Oct 25, 2015
  2. Rotozaza Win User

How to get november update ISO?

For my SFC DISM actions only this iso file worked:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

1. Right click iso and 'Mount'

2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIMDISM only works with ISO Image :D:\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

3. Unmount by 'Eject'

Rotozaza, Oct 25, 2015
  3. Rotozaza Win User
    Restorehealth - using DISM command

For my SFC DISM actions only this iso file worked:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

1. Right click iso and 'Mount' to X: first free letter

2. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:X:\sources\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

3. Unmount by 'Eject'

Rotozaza, Oct 25, 2015
Thema:

DISM only works with ISO Image

1. DISM only works with ISO Image - Similar Threads - DISM works ISO

2. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dism / Imaging question: Hello,Personally been a fun year so far, heart surgery, but on the job side I'm FINALLY somewhere where I'm loved and I love the people I'm with, plus I'm learning a crapton of stuff!Ok, a lot of that has delved into dism / imaging and powershell scripting. It really has been...
  3. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dism / Imaging question: Hello,Personally been a fun year so far, heart surgery, but on the job side I'm FINALLY somewhere where I'm loved and I love the people I'm with, plus I'm learning a crapton of stuff!Ok, a lot of that has delved into dism / imaging and powershell scripting. It really has been...
  4. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Mount image with dism

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mount image with dism: Keep getting this errorC:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /mount-image "/imagefile:C:\iso_files\sources\install.wim /index:6 /MountDir:C:\test\offline Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844 Error: 87 The command-line is missing the /mountdir option. For...
  6. Mount image with dism

Mount image with dism: Keep getting this errorC:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /mount-image "/imagefile:C:\iso_files\sources\install.wim /index:6 /MountDir:C:\test\offline Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool Version: 10.0.19041.844 Error: 87 The command-line is missing the /mountdir option. For...
  7. DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images: How to: DISM - Create Bootable ISO with Multiple Windows 10 Images [img] Information Quite a many of us Windows geeks are in to customizing Windows install images. For instance, I like to do three different deployment / install images of the same Windows version and...
  8. Imaging to an ISO?

Imaging to an ISO?: I'm continuing to learn about imaging, a topic I've previously neglected. In addition to a couple of images I've made using the Win 10 facility (strangely accessed via File History?) I've just made another with a program called DataNumen Disk Image:...
  9. ISO flavors and DISM

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ISO flavors and DISM: The Windows MCT creates an ISO with an Install.esd file. The TechBench ISO download has an Install.wim file. I've seen some posts that say the Install.esd file cannot be used with DISM. I've seen some posts that show a complicated method of using Install.esd with DISM....
  10. ISO image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO image: Hi My apologies if this has been asked already. I've downloaded the ISO image and tried to burn it to DVD only to find that is too large 5.6 GIG and doesn't fit on a 4.7 : is there a way to get it to fit or can I extract it to desktop and run it from there? Any...