Windows 10: Dism problem "The source files could not be found"

Discus and support Dism problem "The source files could not be found" in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have done an SFC /scannow at least two dozen times now on my Windows 10 tablet, resulting in "Found corrupt files but was unable to fix them" message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ornithophilia, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Dism problem "The source files could not be found"

I have done an SFC /scannow at least two dozen times now on my Windows 10 tablet, resulting in "Found corrupt files but was unable to fix them" message

Several posts on this site alone tell me to do a "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" all of which people said that fixed the problem, however it did not work for me, I get an error every time I try it.

Error" 0x00f081f "The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature."

I cannot get it to work at all, unlike basically everybody else on this forums (according to Google)

Any ideas? How can I fix this and ultimately fix my Windows?

:)

Ornithophilia, Jun 4, 2016

2. my PC freezes when I alt+tab in games after Creators Update

SFC didn't find anything and DISM ended up with "the source files could not be found". Is there any app to check&repair the OS? Could "go back to the previous version of Windows" solve my problem?

Alin Aldescu, Jun 4, 2016
  3. BrentZZ Win User
    Update for Win 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3163018), repeatedly freezes download at 5%, Windows Update error 0x80073712

After using the DISM tool with the restorehealth option , I dont know what to do about "source files could not be found", so the original problem remains.

BrentZZ, Jun 4, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Dism problem "The source files could not be found"

Use the Tech Bench link to download your version of Windows 10
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench
    Once you have the iso downloaded, right click at the ISO > click Mount > leave it there

Then open the elevated command prompt and copy and paste this................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

Note : H is the drive where the iso is mounted. Change it if your driver letter is different.

When it is completed, you should get the report that the operation is successful.
    Now run the sfc /scannow again. It should be ok this time.

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  5. Hello, I have the same problem but its the same after downloading the iso file (mounted on H) and running commands correct, finish with "Error: 0x800f081f
    The source files could not be found."" How is it possible it cant find files when all image is at that location created by media creation tool? SFC /Scannow results in corrupt files and cant be fixed.

splitsecond, Jun 4, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Question :

Is your iso mounted on drive H ?
    I used the letter H just for illustration purpose.
    The actual drive the iso is mounted on can be of different drive letter.

for example, my drive letter will be G, not H.

Dism problem "The source files could not be found" [​IMG]

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  7. The ISO fails to download every time I try to download it in Firefox

Ornithophilia, Jun 4, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Also, the :1 in install.wim:1 is for Windows 10 Pro. install.wim:2 would be for Windows 10 Home.

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    I do not use FF.

Would you mind switch to IE11 which I use as my default, or to Microsoft Edge which is Win 10 default browser.

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    Ae you sure ?
    Last time I used this dism command was on this laptop running Win 10 Home.
    I am sure of that because until you mentioned it now, I didn't even know about Install.wim:2.

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    The image I have available at the moment is an ESD image - but the WIM image is the same:

NavyLCDR, Jun 4, 2016
  12. Yup I checked it is H. Really weird. I have W10 Pro, made the image with media creation tool. I have an ESD image as well, have to change the parameter WIM to ESD?

splitsecond, Jun 4, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

If you are going to use the dism command line I posted, you will have to follow my instructions and download the iso file from TECH BENCH.

You iso is downloaded from MCT (media creation tool ) which gives you install.esd, NOT install.wim. That will not be applicable to my dism command line.......................

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:wim:H:\sources\install.wim:1 /limitaccess

You can, however, use your MCT iso file and change the command line to........

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:H:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess

and run it.
    I never use this dism command line, so I can not guarantee the result. ( edited. adding the word 'not' ).

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
  14. Same result with ESD command... Cant understand whats wrong, can't find the file?

splitsecond, Jun 4, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    I mounted my Tech Bench iso file
    Then I ran the dism you showed.
    Did not work.................................

davidhk, Jun 4, 2016
Thema:

1. Dism problem "The source files could not be found" - Similar Threads - Dism problem source

2. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: Hello, I cannot install the update using the Update center 0x800f0983 from 22631.2271 to Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2841also "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not work for me with and without a source.2023-12-07 19:05:15, Info DISM DISM Package Manager:...
  3. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: Hello, I cannot install the update using the Update center 0x800f0983 from 22631.2271 to Insider Preview 10.0.22635.2841also "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" does not work for me with and without a source.2023-12-07 19:05:15, Info DISM DISM Package Manager:...
  4. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: I have been trying to use DISM on my Windows 11 installation, but it seems like no matter what I try, whether I use Windows Update as a source or an ISO on the hard drive or a Windows 11 install USB, I get this same error every time. I was able to successfully run sfc...
  5. DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found

DISM /RestoreHealth The source files could not be found: I have been trying to use DISM on my Windows 11 installation, but it seems like no matter what I try, whether I use Windows Update as a source or an ISO on the hard drive or a Windows 11 install USB, I get this same error every time. I was able to successfully run sfc...
  6. DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".

DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".: I am unable to complete the repair using DISM command tool.My Lap runs Windows 10 version 22H2, build 19045.2364. It has recently started having some problem with windows update showing errors0x80071160 and 0x800706ba.RanDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Deployment...
  7. DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".

in Windows 10 Customization
    DISM "error 0x800f081f The source files could not be found".: I am unable to complete the repair using DISM command tool.My Lap runs Windows 10 version 22H2, build 19045.2364. It has recently started having some problem with windows update showing errors0x80071160 and 0x800706ba.RanDISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth Deployment...
  8. DISM 'The source files could not be found’

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM 'The source files could not be found’: It gets irritating quite fast, when your system is not responding on a "mail open" or "open terminal" command. Press on a mail you want to open, and see Outlook start with "not responding". Do a right click on the terminal icon to open it as administrator and see nothing...
  9. DISM 0x800f081f; source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM 0x800f081f; source files could not be found: Hi all, I've been having issues with getting DISM to successfully run the following: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth When I do, it gives me a 0x800f081f; source files could not be found. Part of my problem is that I'm on image version 10.0.19041.508 Windows...
  10. DISM - The source files could not be found

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM - The source files could not be found: Something is really screwed up with this image. Booting from an USB installation image indicates that it's already part way through an upgrade ???, and to remove the install media, then select 'yes', which then just boots back to the 0xc000021a error. I've now pulled...