Windows 10: DISM question

Discus and support DISM question in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Awhile ago I downloaded ISO for win 10 - 64 bit English. I downloaded it from Tech Bench I successfully used it once. Today I had to fix whatever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by iouri, Feb 9, 2016.

1. iouri Win User

DISM question

Awhile ago I downloaded ISO for win 10 - 64 bit English.
    I downloaded it from
    Tech Bench
    I successfully used it once. Today I had to fix whatever results I got from sfc and it gave me a message that cannot find source file. I downloaded a new ISO file and and it ran successfully. The image versions of both ISO files was 10.0.10580.0. My windows version is 10580.104.
    My questions are:
    1.Why I downloaded the good ISO with the same image version
    2.Is it possible to find out what is image version before the download.

Thank you

:)

iouri, Feb 9, 2016

2. DISM RestoreHealth Question ==> error # 0x800f0906

Hi, The source should be the path of Install.wim of Windows 10 ISO. An ISO of version 14393.0 would not work on 14393.100 because your system has a newer build installed. You can use version 1703 ISO but I recommend you to download it from the MCT first:
    Download Windows 10 Method 2 lists the steps here: Update to Windows 10 creators update manually if you are unable to get it through Windows update - Your Windows Guide

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 9, 2016
  3. Yumpin Win User
    DISM RestoreHealth Question ==> error # 0x800f0906

My HP 8100 Elite Computer currently has Build 1607 installed and won't update to Build 1703

Recently when running the DISM RestoreHealth command, I get an error # 0x800f0906 thrown; and a note about unable to access the 'source' for evidently restoring some issue encountered...... I have been running the DISM sequence for months on this machine;
    and don't recall seeing this message before.......

I am given this link to check out as part of the error message:

go.Microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId= 243077

At this link is an article last updated on 10-13-2013 (four years ago) and which says it applies to 'Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Server 2012.

However, I am running Windows 10 Build 1607.......

So whats next step here in doing a RestoreHealth on this machine; and finding the 'source' requested by DISM RestoreHealth?????

Following an out of date article targeted for systems which I am not running seems like a path I'm not readily trodding down.......

Yumpin, Feb 9, 2016
  4. Porthos Win User

DISM question

The techench image will always be 10586.0 untill redstone is released.

Porthos, Feb 10, 2016
  5. iouri Win User
    I've read somewhere, that the image must be the same or later version than your win version. Also when I tried to use the older version of ISO that I downloaded awhile ago, it did not work(it also was 10586.0). When I downloaded the new ISO, just before I ran DISM, it worked out fine. SO how to determine if I have the right ISO version, before running DISM. Is there any way to tell that this ISO will work?

iouri, Feb 10, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Are you sure they are both 10586 ?
    ( your iso was downloaded from tech Bench, you said ).

Please mount the older iso > then open the elevated command prompt > copy/paste this....................

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.wim /index:1

Note : E is the drive letter in which the iso is mounted. If yours is not E, please change it.

Which version does dism say ?

davidhk, Feb 10, 2016
  7. iouri Win User
    I am pretty sure. Unfortunately I've already deleted it after getting the new one. The new one is definitely 10586.0.
    Also is it the way to find out that the ISO is updated on the TechBench site?
    Thanx

iouri, Feb 10, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

DISM question

Yes.

davidhk, Feb 10, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    If your iso is downloaded from MCT ( media creation tool ), then change the install.wim to install.esd

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:E:\sources\install.esd /index:1

davidhk, Feb 10, 2016
  10. iouri Win User
    Gotcha. And are all the versions 10586.0 the same, or MS updates it leaving the same version. I am just curious because old 10586.0 did not work and the new version 10586.0 worked.

iouri, Feb 10, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    If they are of the same edition ( Home or Pro edition ) of Windows 10, then yes, they are the same.

davidhk, Feb 10, 2016
  12. iouri Win User
    They are the same edition. And how come one version did not work and another did?

iouri, Feb 10, 2016
  13. iouri Win User

DISM question

IF MS updates it, does they change the version?

iouri, Feb 10, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    I don't know and there is nothing can be done to check out since you already have it deleted.

davidhk, Feb 10, 2016
  15. iouri Win User
    OK. Thank you for your explanations.

iouri, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

DISM question

1. DISM question - Similar Threads - DISM question

2. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dism / Imaging question: Hello,Personally been a fun year so far, heart surgery, but on the job side I'm FINALLY somewhere where I'm loved and I love the people I'm with, plus I'm learning a crapton of stuff!Ok, a lot of that has delved into dism / imaging and powershell scripting. It really has been...
  3. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dism / Imaging question: Hello,Personally been a fun year so far, heart surgery, but on the job side I'm FINALLY somewhere where I'm loved and I love the people I'm with, plus I'm learning a crapton of stuff!Ok, a lot of that has delved into dism / imaging and powershell scripting. It really has been...
  4. Dism / Imaging question

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. DISM version question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DISM version question: I have a question regarding DISM.exeI've been experiencing some issues with my PC and ran:DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestorehealthWhen it runs, I see that the DISM version is 10.0.19041.844Under that, I see "Image Version 10.0.19044.1503" and it appears that it's...
  6. DISM version question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM version question: I have a question regarding DISM.exeI've been experiencing some issues with my PC and ran:DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /RestorehealthWhen it runs, I see that the DISM version is 10.0.19041.844Under that, I see "Image Version 10.0.19044.1503" and it appears that it's...
  7. DISM version question

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Two questions related to DISM/features

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Two questions related to DISM/features: alright, simple question: when using the command dism /online /get-features you get a list of features that you can enable/disable. There's a feature called Microsoft-Windows-Client-EmbeddedExp-Package which doesn't provide any description when you use the /get-featureinfo...
  9. DISM and bootrec / bootbcd questions

in Windows 10 Support
    DISM and bootrec / bootbcd questions: #1. Can you only use DISM to service an online Windows installation and not an offline one (neither being image files), and you can only service offline if it's in the form of an image file? There's no way to service a non-image Windows installation unless you're logged into...
  10. DISM Questions

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DISM Questions: Greetings, i am just experimenting with DISM restorehealth booting from recovery meda for times when I am attempting to repair a non booting machine. I understand the WIM or ESD must be the same version as the offline OS but how would I find out what version is installed on...