Windows 10: DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself

Discus and support DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dismhost.exe is recreating itself and and new folder about every 5 minutes while the machine is idle/asleep. Each of these new folders in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by phennleigh, Jun 30, 2016.

1. DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself

Dismhost.exe is recreating itself and and new folder about every 5 minutes while the machine is idle/asleep.
    Each of these new folders in \users\me\AppData\local\temp\... and contains about 2 dozen files and a copy of dismhost.exe. To the tune of about 2 gigs an hour. The machine becomes generally cranky, acrobat won't run, Word is slow to open etc.
    Windows Defender and AntiMalwareBytes do not find any malware, they are up to date.
    Other machines I have have similar folders but not the rapid reproduction issue.
    Windows 10 [upped from 8.1] Dell i5 4 gigs ram
    Any ideas?
    thanks

:)

phennleigh, Jun 30, 2016
  2. KurtBucy Win User

Why so many copies of DismHost.exe running

I am in the same boat.

If I leave the computer idle, every 4 minutes a new dismhost.exe process starts and puts a file in users/userid/appdata/local/temp

This can accumulate to several GB per day.

I have 5 windows 10 computers and only 1 exhibits this behavior.

Started around beginning of may.

I also found this thread that is older from windows 8 with some fixes, but the fixes are not relevant to windows 10:

dismhost.exe recreating itself every few minutes in C:\Windows\Temp

so newer posts mention users with windows 10 having same issue but no fixes as of yet.

KurtBucy, Jun 30, 2016
  3. Pixoul Win User
    Pixoul, Jun 30, 2016
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself

Dismhost.exe is a process belonging to the OS. But the way it is recreating itself as you stated, it might be that some malware is camouflaging by taking a known name.

Scan your computer using TDSSKiller. TDSSKiller Download
    Also take a bootable scan. Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk - MajorGeeks

Let us know the results.

5. No Joy.
    Kaspersky didn't find any malware, nothing does.
    The same thing happens with all accounts on the machine.
    Removed several programs, a game [candy crush something saga, don't know how it got on the machine] and Acrobat, since it was giving the most troubles.
    Totally baffled, I am not a grand expert but not a novice either [early adopter of OS/2 & NT3.5 etc].

phennleigh, Jul 2, 2016
  6. Happened to me once, they mention on MS forum, that it might be a maintenance task and corrupted files.

Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

chkdsk /scan
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

TairikuOkami, Jul 2, 2016
  7. New member on this forum.

zachrogers, Feb 4, 2018
  8. SoFine409 Win User

Hi zachrogers and Welcome to the forum. You can subscribe to any thread that you are reading by clicking on the Thread Tools at the top right and selecting Subscribe to this Thread.

SoFine409, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. DISMHOST.exe is recursively recreating itself - Similar Threads - DISMHOST exe recursively

2. dismhost в папке temp

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dismhost в папке temp: часто слышал что пихают ратники в папку темп, сегодня в ней нашел dismhost.exe вместе с папки ru-RU en-US, это вирус или как? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dismhost-%D0%B2-%D0%BF%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%BA%D0%B5/9c3c95d6-ec89-49a8-85db-31a5c7c23862
  3. dismhost в папке temp

in Windows 10 Gaming
    dismhost в папке temp: часто слышал что пихают ратники в папку темп, сегодня в ней нашел dismhost.exe вместе с папки ru-RU en-US, это вирус или как? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dismhost-%D0%B2-%D0%BF%D0%B0%D0%BF%D0%BA%D0%B5/9c3c95d6-ec89-49a8-85db-31a5c7c23862
  4. dismhost в папке temp

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. iCloudDrive folder keeps recreating itself on my desktop.

iCloudDrive folder keeps recreating itself on my desktop.: Every time I open the camera app on my laptop, an iCloudDrive folder recreates itself on my desktop. I’ve uninstalled iCloud and it still keeps happening. Any suggestions to make it stop ?...
  6. iCloudDrive folder keeps recreating itself on my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    iCloudDrive folder keeps recreating itself on my desktop: Every time I open the camera app on my laptop, an iCloudDrive folder recreates itself on my desktop. I’ve uninstalled iCloud and it still keeps happening. Any suggestions to make it stop ? submitted by /u/InterruptingCow__ [link] [comments]...
  7. recursively copy files

recursively copy files: I was wondering if there was a way to recursively copy files with windows for example I have an Adobe CD or DVD and there is a folder of fonts. Manually copying them is very tedious. so I was wondering if there was a way to do this with a batch file or shell script...
  8. Robocopy infinite recursion

Robocopy infinite recursion: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 2 weeks ago. I have been using Robocopy for years to backup my system. However, since I upgraded, Robocopy goes into a seemingly infinite loop, when backing up via the Documents and Settings Junction. I have not changed the...
  9. Dismhost exe in Temp folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Dismhost exe in Temp folder: I keep seeing that a random folder appearing in my Temp folder, folder name is very random with words and mixed numbers. Inside, there is a certain exe named "Dismhost" this pops up almost like every two days or so. Is this normal? I already scanned my computer with...
  10. recreate home network

recreate home network: Few months ago I changed my router/modem to sagemcom thereby losing my home network since the router IP address is now different. I'm in windows 10 pro. The internet and wireless printer work. How can I find the IP addresses of my TV, receiver & streamer? I think an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dism recreating itself