Windows 10: Display Arrangement Persistence

Discus and support Display Arrangement Persistence in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Where is the arrangement, scale, and layout of multi-display configurations persisted and what (Windows, device driver, etc.) is responsible for saving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by dlcrow, Jul 16, 2018.

1. dlcrow Win User

Display Arrangement Persistence

Where is the arrangement, scale, and layout of multi-display configurations persisted and what (Windows, device driver, etc.) is responsible for saving and restoring it?

I have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop that has Intel HD Graphics P630 and NVIDIA Quadro M1200 graphics running Windows Version 1803 (17134.165). Everything is up-to-date per Windows Update and Dell Command Update as well as right-clicking and selecting Update Driver in Device Manager.

I have a Dell WD15 USB-C dock both at home and at work. At home, I have a 1600x1200 Dell monitor located on the right side of my laptop connected via a mini display port to DVI adapter and DVI cable. At work, I have a 1920x1080 Dell monitor located on the left side of my laptop connected via HDMI.

Until recently, both of these configurations were remembered and all I had to do was to plugin the dock and all was well.

In the last few weeks, something changed and now when I come to work and plugin, the 1920x1080 monitor is layed out as 1600x1200 on the right. If I unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable from the dock, everything resets as desired to the appropriate layout and resolution.

Is this a core Windows problem? A device driver for one of the display adapters or dock? Is there persisted configuration somewhere I can view or reset to validate correctness?

:)

dlcrow, Jul 16, 2018

2. Display driver not supporting and device manager not showing Display adapter option

Hi Maheen,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

• Incorrect settings.
    • Corrupt or outdated display driver.
    Try the steps listed here and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to download and install all the available Windows Updates including Optional Updates. Check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, i suggest you to uninstall and re-install latest display driver from the computer manufacturer website and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall display driver.

• Right-click on the Start Button and click on
      Device manager.
    • Double-click on Display Adapters to expand.
    • Right-click on the display adapter driver that is listed and select properties.
    • In the window opened, click on drivers tab.
    • In the drivers tab, Click on Uninstall option.
    Now restart your computer and check, if the problem persists try step 2.

Step 2:

Re-install display driver from the manufacturer website.

Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you need further assistance, we will be glad to help.

Akheel Ahmed, Jul 16, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10's Icon Arrangement

Hi,

It is possible that you're having issues with icons arrangement can be due to corruptions. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Did you get any error messages when you try to arrange the icons?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Jul 16, 2018
  4. Display Arrangement Persistence

auto arrange icon desktop , why ?

Hi,

I would suggest you to try the steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on Desktop.

b) Click on View.

c) Uncheck both "Arrange icons to grid" and "Auto arrange icons".

d) Restart the computer and check if it helps.

Anannya Podder, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

Display Arrangement Persistence

1. Display Arrangement Persistence - Similar Threads - Display Arrangement Persistence

2. Keep Multiple Monitor Display Arrangement?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keep Multiple Monitor Display Arrangement?: Hi all, Have a challenging one here. I have 2 NVIDIA 1080's with 8 monitors currently plugged invisual arrangement below used for business. Even through there are 10 ports on the back of the cards combined, it appears I can only run 8. On occasion, I want to game on 1...
  3. ''Your Phone'' app icon persistant display problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ''Your Phone'' app icon persistant display problem: Hello everyone, So I'm having this rather annoying problem and I can't seem to be able to resolve it no matter what I try. Basically, the ''Your Phone'' Windows app icon does not display correctly. The symptoms are: 1 Blank icon on desktop 2 Invisible icon on taskbar...
  4. Desktop Icons Arrangement for different Displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Arrangement for different Displays: Hello Community, I am using following setup: Surface Pro 5th Gen Intel Core i7 @ 2.5 GHz 16 GB Ram 64-Bit 512 GB Storage Windows 10 Pro Workspace 1 home office: Connected to 2nd Display via Surface Dock 2 only show on Display 2 Workspace 2 school office: Connected...
  5. Arranging Tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Arranging Tiles: This is a simple somewhat inconsequential question regarding the normal behavior of tiles on the start screen of Windows 10. What is the grid or pattern for arranging say, medium size tiles? When I attempt to move a tile, I see the title bar appear and I move the tile over...
  6. Is there anyway to change the display size in the arrangement settings?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway to change the display size in the arrangement settings?: submitted by /u/tails618 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hoohkm/is_there_anyway_to_change_the_display_size_in_the/
  7. Force "duplicate these displays" setting to be persistent.

Force "duplicate these displays" setting to be persistent.: I am using two outputs from the motherboard's onboard graphics, the HDMI and the VGA. The VGA is powering a single monitor on the rack and the HDMI is going to a 4-way splitter that powers 3 additional displays. Somehow the setting changes itself from "duplicate" to...
  8. Windows 10 Display arrangement

Windows 10 Display arrangement: I have always had a difficult time arranging multiple displays. For instance, if I have two 4k monitors both with the same 4k resolution but one is 40" the other 32". They are obviously not the same size but In WIndows, the rearrange your displays widget shows the monitors...
  9. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement: Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process...
  10. Auto Arrange

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto Arrange: Anybody find a fix to disable auto arrange for items in a folder??? This is after the CU update??? 86428