Windows 10: Display (desktop, browser full screen) messed up after upgrade

Discus and support Display (desktop, browser full screen) messed up after upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was having several issues so I did a full reset of Windows 8.1 (that was a nightmare). When I went to update, it offered me Windows 10. I bit the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Odos270, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Odos270 Win User

Display (desktop, browser full screen) messed up after upgrade

I was having several issues so I did a full reset of Windows 8.1 (that was a nightmare). When I went to update, it offered me Windows 10. I bit the bullet and did it. The exact same thing happened this time as the first time (which is why I reverted back to 8.1).

On the desktop, if I place icons to either side or top, they're half off the screen. The taskbar is messed up too. I put Classic Shell back in so that I have a start menu more in tune with Windows 7. Now I can only see a sliver of the start button. The clock is half off the screen. If I choose to show icons on the taskbar, they are below the taskbar. Same goes for icons in the quick launch bar.

I didn't have this problem with 8.

Any menu that's taller than the screen I can't see and there's no scroll to see the upper end. If I maximize the brower, the minimize, maximize and close buttons are off the screen.

I'm using the recommended screen resolution. 1920x1080. I'm using a 32" 720p TV as my monitor. It's plugged in with an HDMI cable. There are no settings to change the display in the TV.

Screen shot? Yeah right. When I do a screen shot, it shows everything as it should look, not what I'm actually seeing.

Here's the left side of the taskbar.

Display (desktop, browser full screen) messed up after upgrade [​IMG]

Here's the right side.

This is what happens to icons on the desktop.

Computer specs:
    Processor: AMD FX-6200 (3.8GHz)
    Memory: 10GB DDR3 (PC3-12800)
    Graphics: Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570 (2GB DDR3 dedicated)
    Video Ports: HDMI, DVI, Display Port

I can't find an updated driver. AMD conciders the video card 'legacy'.

Driver Provider: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Driver Date: 6/22/2015
    Driver Version: 15.200.1045.0

:)

Odos270, Jun 1, 2016
  2. CMorno Win User

Desktop will not display, start menu now only full screen

Hi everyone,

I'm running windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 3, 13".

I woke up this morning and opened up my laptop lid to find my screen was fully white, after getting rid of the white screen - it seemed to be a web page type thing but it wasnt running in my browser - my start menu was displaying full screen which I have
    disabled in the settings, and I now could not display the desktop.

I've shut down and restart, done anti virus and malware scans and nothing.

So essentially the issue appears to lie in a phobia of displaying the desktop, I can only run things in full screen and if I minimise something the start menu pops up again.

What's also interesting is the display desktop button is now nowhere to be seen - I can't even find it by searching.

Any help is appreciated

CMorno, Jun 1, 2016
  3. Kin One web browser: how do i stop my kin from automatically rerouting me to mobile websites?

Hello mcgreat,

You will need to change from optimized mode to desktop mode, to do this:

• Go to the Apps screen
    • Tap Settings, then slide your finger left to see the App Setup screen
    • Tap Browser to open the Browser Settings screen
    Under Browsing Experience, select how to display webpages on your screen.

• Optimized - If available, the mobile version of the page will display
    • Desktop - The full, desktop layout of the page will display

Jorge E. - WP7 Support, Jun 1, 2016
  4. bobkn Win User

I haven't tried a TV as a monitor recently, but...

I owned a 32" 720p TV. Its native resolution wasn't 1280 X 720; rather, it was more like 1366 X 768. I believe that it was incapable of 1080p; it had some way of displaying 1080i (interlaced).

Maybe you'd do better if you matched the resolution of the monitor.

If not, it may be an overscan issue. I have no familiarity with that.

bobkn, Jun 2, 2016
  5. Odos270 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. I finally found a setting in the TV and changed it. Now the display looks like it should. *Smile

Odos270, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Display (desktop, browser full screen) messed up after upgrade - Similar Threads - Display desktop browser

2. Display is Messed up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display is Messed up!: I had trouble with my desktop icons, and somehow messed up my desktop. The text of the name of file under the icon is very very tiny. In my browser, the "file" Edit View History Etc tab fonts are very very tiny. And when I right click on the desktop, the window is very...
  3. Display is Messed up!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display is Messed up!: I had trouble with my desktop icons, and somehow messed up my desktop. The text of the name of file under the icon is very very tiny. In my browser, the "file" Edit View History Etc tab fonts are very very tiny. And when I right click on the desktop, the window is very...
  4. Display is Messed up!

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Messed up display

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Messed up display: Hi my screen is all messed up and I can't use my laptop now even with an external monitor and I don't know what the prob is. Before it got messed up the laptop would freeze randomly and I have to restart it every time. I am wondering how I would boot into safe mode with a...
  6. Messed up display

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Messed up display: Hi my screen is all messed up and I can't use my laptop now even with an external monitor and I don't know what the prob is. Before it got messed up the laptop would freeze randomly and I have to restart it every time. I am wondering how I would boot into safe mode with a...
  7. User Account Messed up after Upgrade

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Account Messed up after Upgrade: I was working on a friend's PC yesterday and could not get a windows update to install.This update was a upgrade from v1909 Build 18363.628 to the latest v19041.450.I used the Microsoft Windows 10 Update Assistant to do this upgrade finally after the windows updates failed to...
  8. 1 side of desktop display messed up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    1 side of desktop display messed up: I woke this morning to find the left 1/3 of my display messed up. There is a clearly delineate line between that and the normal side of the screen. It isn't a significant problem within apps. Fix? [ATTACH]...
  9. Display messed up after upgrade, duplicating itself

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Display messed up after upgrade, duplicating itself: Hi, Since upgrading my system to Windows 10 my Razer Blade Pro 2015 has started having odd display issues. In the beginning only the booting screen would consistently duplicate and stack itself one above the other being separated by a while bar, with the issue resolving...
  10. Internet apps overlap/mess up taskbar after exiting full screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet apps overlap/mess up taskbar after exiting full screen: When I go full screen to watch something like youtube, netflix, twitch, whether I use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge, after a few minutes when I exit full screen my task bar gets glitched up. The application buttons seem to dissapear, and part of what I was watching in full...